astra probs - markymarkn
Hi all,

I own a 1989 Astra CDi with 1.8 8v engine. The trouble is when since I got it the performance seems to have reduced a fair bit. I realise this is half me getting used to it (its a lot faster than my old car), but its definitly slower. Also when i start it its very lumpy for the first thirty seconds or so.

I've changed the plugs and leads with no effect.

Also, since I bought the car (6 months ago) the engine has begin to sound a lot clunkier. I've been recommended by a mechanic friend to put some thicker oil in since the engine is getting on a bit now. What do you guys think?

Any ideas? Cheers lads and lasses,
Re: astra probs - Michael
you don't give the mileage, but lets assume its around 100,000. Not sure what clunkier means, it could be anything but may be hydraulic tappet noise or it could be running on three cylinders. Either way, I would not put thicker oil in to cure it. I would start by checking the basics (spark plugs, leads, dist cap, air filter, etc) but would also have a compression test carried out to see if the problem lies there.
Re: astra probs - markymarkn
mileage abot 95k but had engine reconditioned about 12000 miles ago.
I dont really know how to explain the noise properly but it doesnt perform as well as it used to. It sounds like the bits inside the engine arent working as smoothly together as they used to (if that helps!)

its the fuel injection model and ive been told theres not a lot you can do as far as tweaking is concerned because its all computer controlled. Could it be the airflow meter or something? Would it be worth me trimming the money tree and getting it krypton tuned?
Re: astra probs - Michael
yes!
Re: astra probs - Charles
Mark

Don't put thicker oil in the car if it's not burning oil. With the onset of winter it will only make cold start wear more severe and the hydraulic tappets more noisy.

Charles
Re: astra probs - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Check the tension of the cambelt. If slack this will take the edge off performance and make the top end rattle. Also what fuel are you using and what oil are you using? Hopefully NOT supermarket fuel or fully synthetic oil!
Re: astra probs - markymarkn
its vauxhall oil (black container). using normal, vanilla, texaco unleaded.

Is checking the tension of a cambelt within the capabilities of a haynes manual? I'm not daft but I'm not a mechanic! What should it be set to? I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers All
Re: astra probs - Ash Phillips
Was '89 within the range when the camshafts were prone to having lobes fail? This was certainly happening in 86/87. Partco have a British made replacement kit, cam and followers, that can be had for 100 quid. I've had a Vauxhall cam go in 30k miles, and it's noisy and you lose a hell of a lot of power/economy. long shot, but ...
Re: astra probs - Roy
Have you checked the automatic choke?
Maybe running too long and too rich, this will explain both your problems.

Also the type of fuel, I would stay away from Low Sulphur as put out by the likes of most Texaco filling stations, you'll get 25% less milage/power. Honest John may have something on this Low Sulphur stuff.

Cheers

Roy