406 HDi won't start! - AdrianM
I have a 4yr old 406HDi which I've owned for about 4 weeks. I use it to commute 90 miles each way to work and it is been fine. Yesterday, after a short trip (1-2 miles) it refused to start - I left it a few hours and went back in the evening, it started as normal. Today it has just done the same thing, short trip, now won't start. It turns over normally but no sign of firing up. Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
406 HDi won't start! - Robin the Technician
Hi Adrian,
You may have the same problem I experienced when i first bought my Pug 406. I was supplied with 2 key fob plips- one was the original and the other was a new one supplied without batteries. When new batteries were installed, it would cause the car to go into non start mode if i used the new plip. Turns out you have to have a primary and a secondary plip- I had 2 secondaries and there was a conflict. Assuming you have both, just use the plip that opens and starts the car. Also try fitting new batteries in the plip as they can go a little queer if they are low.

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Thanks Robin, but I don't think this is the answer. I've only used the one key. Just been back to it after about 5hrs. It turned over and caught but immediately cut out. Then back to just turning over and over. I'll try again in the morning before giving in and towing to a garage.
....just one thought which may be way out (I'm not technical). The oil level is low (though still just above minimum) - it's also possible that the oil has not been changed for a year (12000 miles ago).....and before you all shout at me, I know, I know.

Adrian
406 HDi won't start! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sounds immobiliser-ish to me. Any odd lights on the dash?
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
That's been at the back of my mind too.....however, nothing seems any different than before....except it won't start!

Adrian
406 HDi won't start! - jammods
If its turning then its probably a glow plug problem, 1 knackered plug can stop the thing starting, I had this problem earlier in the year with a 405.
406 HDi won't start! - DL
Different engine though....

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
AA man came and couldn't start - thinks it's probably an immobiliser fault. Towed to main dealer, now looking forward to hefty bill....oh goody.
That's what they always say!

I wouldn't be suprised to see it being a low pressure fuel pump fault.

--
Spot on, DL. Not sure where to aim my cynicism - the AA for conveniant excuse or Pug Dealer for easy £215!!!

Adrian
Seems to be a common problem on the HDi motor. £215 ain't a bad price to replace it IMO.

You can see a pic of the offending pump here tinyurl.com/x9cv

--
If you go here groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw there are some other interesting pictures, too!

--
Oh no, are these all the things I can look forward too......(interesting site, I will spend some time to look around it).

......to be fair, I'm not too disappointed with the price - I was prepared for worse.

Thanks
Adrian
lol.....keep an ear out for a rapid ticking noise from the OSF - that indicates the crankshaft pulley is giving up......

Otherwise, a great car, especially in 110BHP form.

--
406 HDi won't start! - Frogeye
Beware how they replace the LP pump, I had the same problem. The Peugeot main dealer hacked the floor away with a hammer and chisel as they could not get the pump through the access hole in the floor!!! They then denied that they had done so, I was not impressed having them butcher a 12 month old car. I can post photos if you like.
Wow, I'll have to check that tomorrow then. Forgive my ignorance, but where is it located - I'm guessing it's in the boot somewhere?

Adrian
It's actually inside the fuel tank itself.

Tank removal is the proper way to replace it IIRC

--
406 HDi won't start! - Frogeye
The access panel is under the rear seat, easily seen on an estate.
I agree that tank removal is the proper way, pity that a certain main dealer tries to save money by bodging. The body repair cost them dear though!!!
406 HDi won't start! - glowplug
FE.

Oh that sounds bad. Any chance of posting more details and maybe a picture or so?

Steve.