Can I mix Magnatec? - Blue {P}
Just a very quick question which I'm hoping I can get a very quick answer to, the oil level in the Fiesta seems to have gone down quite a way, and the only oil I have to top up with is 5W30 Magnatec, this is the same grade as is in the car already, but I was just wondering if it is ok to mix the fancy Magnatec stuff with the ordinary 5W30?

I'm caught a bit off guard here 'cos I've never had any car use a drop of oil in over 20K, yet, this one has suddenly gobbled a lot up.

Blue
Can I mix Magnatec? - PR {P}
Yes no problem, the magnatec bit means that the molecules are polarised and makes them (allegedly) "stick" to the metal of the engine better. Putting some of this with ordinary stuff will be fine.
Thanks, now just got ot hope it stays where I leave it this time! :-)
Blue
Can I mix Magnatec? - Andrew-T
Now I understand why they don't sell oil in cans any more - it wouldn't run out!
He he, that'll be right. :-)

Now then, if some complete moron were to have overfilled the car a bit, what would the likely effects be?

The dipstick is of such a design that it's very hard to tell of it's overfilled or not.

Blue
Can I mix Magnatec? - PR {P}
If it is only slight I wouldnt worry about it. If it is quite a lot then Id do something, although dont know exactly what.
I know in my handbook (Alfa) it says if you overfill take to dealers!
Can I mix Magnatec? - Wales Forester
If you've overfilled a lot, gaskets can get damaged and start to leak as there is a pressure build up inside the engine.
You could always undo the drain plug and let a bit out, messy I know but cheaper than a new gasket.

PP
Can I mix Magnatec? - Dynamic Dave
You could always undo the drain plug and let a bit
out, messy I know but cheaper than a new gasket.

I tend to slaken off the oil filter to drain some off. You\'re only likely to loose ½ litre of oil as opposed to the lot if you let slip the drain plug. Remember to tighten the filter back up though.
Can I mix Magnatec? - Wales Forester
Good idea Dave but as it's a Ford he'll probably need to take a wheel off or something equally daft to get at the filter.

PP
Can I mix Magnatec? - Malcolm_L
Your oil filter must be very accessible - on most cars it\'s very difficult to get at and trying to catch oil seeping out is virtually impossible.

I have to take the air-filter box out just to change a headlamp bulb on mine (Passat)

Sump plug for me every time - just leave it until the oils warm not hot and you can drain any amount of oil in a controlled fashion.

Well it seems to be running ok and I don't think it's overfilled much, it's very hard to tell from the design of the dipstick.

The only weird thing it does is make a popping sound like I would expect to hear on a sports car or modded car from the exhaust when I let the revs fall back down to idle from about 2K. Makes a lovely poppy kind of roar from the exhaust, very hard to describe, but it sounds lovely, if not a little unexpected from a car of it's design.

I'm not gonna worry too much though, it's due it's first service in 2,000 miles time so they will hopefully be able to sort any problems then. After that it will get oil and filter at least every 5,000 miles as recommended by HJ, and my dad says that with my driving style he would have it fully serviced every 5K, but I think he's exagerating.

Blue
Can I mix Magnatec? - Deryck Tintagel
I had a bit of overfill on my car after service at the main dealer. Not wanting to risk gaskets I drained the excess (about 300ml) using a syringe and a length of PVC pipe used on fish tanks. Did the job very well without having to find the filter - still don't know where that is!
I'll be taking it to the dealers tommorow, my dad normally takes the "don't worry about it" approach if I ask about some strange noise, but this time he confirmed that the engine is mis-firing slightly when he heard it.

It's made the noise for a good while now, but it seems to have gotten worse recently, so I think it's better to check now whilst warranty is still good and valid.

If I get any further info or updates then I'll start a new thread as this is getting well off my original topic now, as always seems to happen with my car problems, one leads to another, to another etc!

Blue