Alternating flashing headlamps. - Wales Forester
The other day I was driving along when a vehicle appeared in the distance coming towards me with it's headlamps flashing alternately, it was quite a way off so I couldn't tell what it was. I immediately thought Police, as it didn't seem big enough to be a Fire appliance or Ambulance, as it got nearer I could see that it also had Orange flashing lights lit on the roof, and as it got closer still, I realised that it was a civilian Land Rover Discovery with WIDE LOAD emblazoned on the front, it was followed at some distance by a low loader carrying a piece of earth moving equipment that was slighty protruding from either side.

I understand why it had flashing headlamps, as they certainly got my attention, my question is simple, was this legal?

I'm not being pedantic, there is a reason for me asking;
A couple of years ago I used to work on the Motorway Incident Support Units, assisting the Police to clear accidents quickly. As we were authorised to use the hard shoulder quite frequently to reach incidents we enquired about having flashing headlamps fitted to our vans to give us more of a prescence when driving along the hard shoulder on the inside of queuing traffic, the answer from the Police was a resounding NO!

Over to the legal experts.

PP

Alternating flashing headlamps. - Dwight Van Driver
On the face of it this looks illegal but will dpend on who the contractors are and for what purpose. If a purely civil contractor then it looks a no no. BUT mention was made earlier this year that Highways Authorities were to take over certain functions of Police in relation to wide loads and keeping traffic moving.

Reg 13 RV Lighting Regs 1989 states that no vehicle shall be fitted with a alamp which automatically emits a flashing light with a number of exception which principally are:
Emergency Vehicles - Police (includes RAFP, RMP BT), Fire Ambulance
Special warning lights allowed - blue only
For Police purposes.

DVD
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Altea Ego
>Emergency Vehicles - Police (includes RAFP, RMP BT),

BT? you mean the poles and holes man can have blue lights and flashing headlamps?
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Dwight Van Driver
Ouch RF, my knuckles hurt

Its the prostrate, I missed a P - BTP British Transport Police.

DVD
Alternating flashing headlamps. - frostbite
Anyone who fancies chancing their luck can purchase a kit to add this feature to their car for about 25 quid, as seen on eBay.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - THe Growler
Mmmmm, in my case I'm prostrate when it's time to check the prostate. It's when the doc puts on his rubber gloves I know it's going to hurt.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Mike H
I had the same experience a few years ago (must have been 4 or 5) and a fairly ordinary medium saloon of some type (can't remember) came up behind me with the headlights flashing alternately. I instinctively pulled over, and took a peek at the occupants as it went past (just to check whether it was the blue light brigade) - but the car appeared to have four lads in their mid twenties, but they looked dead serious and didn't seem to be just doing it for a laugh. They just soared off into the distance and, like you, I was left wondering.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Altea Ego
The sweeney or Special Branch?
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Wales Forester
It'll have been The Sweeney and they looked a bit pensive as they "hadn't had any dinner!!!"

I must work on my cockney accent ;-)

PP
Alternating flashing headlamps. - NitroBurner
I saw a car (a Nova I think) with its (blue) fog lights flashing altenately. Highly illegal.
Not difficult to make a unit to set them up this way.
All you need is a small circuit board, an IC555 timer, a few resistors & capacitors, a relay & an understanding of car electrics.

Oops, giving the game away...
Alternating flashing headlamps. - buzbee
I can see that flashing lights could be abused but it seems very sensible to me to carry an amber one (I do) to put on the roof when you have stopped on the hard shoulder of a motorway to to change a wheel (no advice please as to whether this is wise or not).

I did it once and it was quite a scary stop. So I also had someone ready to thump the bonnet if anything was coming that looked as if it might wipe me out. 5 minutes later I was on my way.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Sooty Tailpipes
I have made two amber flashing lights using a 4"x4" peice of Veroboard with 8 rows of about 10 LEDs soldered on, it creates a panel of flashing lights which are as intensive as a strobe. I bought a unit off ebay which flashes these in up to 8 patterns. These are mounted behind the grille, I will hopefully get round to making rear ones in red one day.
The LEDs were also dirt cheap from Hong Kong off ebay.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - No Do$h
I have made two amber flashing lights using a 4"x4" peice
of Veroboard with 8 rows of about 10 LEDs soldered on,
it creates a panel of flashing lights which are as intensive
as a strobe. I bought a unit off ebay which flashes
these in up to 8 patterns. These are mounted behind the
grille, I will hopefully get round to making rear ones in
red one day.
The LEDs were also dirt cheap from Hong Kong off
ebay.

Why?
Alternating flashing headlamps. - Sooty Tailpipes
Better to have things and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
Alternating flashing headlamps. - No Do$h
Can't argue with that.
Alternately flashing headlamps. - Andrew Fraser

In response to Wales Forester Thu 6 Nov 2003 14:43, whereas the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 permit alternately flashing headlamps on emergency vehicles (s.13), they also clearly state the manners of use which are prohibited. Basically, they must not be used (s.27 and Rule 114 of the Highway Code) so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road. In fact, they do cause dazzle and discomfort, particularly at night. An emergency vehicle (of which I was already perfectly well aware) came up behind me on one memorable occasion and I was briefly blinded by the full beam headlight reflected in my driving mirror and very nearly left the road. As far as I know, there is no sound scientific research or evidence which suggests that there is any need for alternately flashing headlamps in addition to the usual (now often excessive) blue ones, so it is beyond me why they are used. I can only imagine that the people who have decided to fit them have no knowledge or experience whatsoever in the field of road safety.

Alternately flashing headlamps. - Cris_on_the_gas

Legislation is all very good. It relies on having suitable numbers of Police Traffic Officers out on the road to educate and if needed enforce the laws.

Alternately flashing headlamps. - KB.

I'm wondering what the likelihood is of Wales Forester replying to you, Andrew? Fifteen years is quite a long time.

I find it hard to imagine that an individual with normal, healthy eyesight would actually be"briefly blinded" by the operation of the lights as described ... surely you simply avert your gaze from the mirror rather than allow it to distract you enough to be blinded.and, if need be, dip it or tap it out of adjustment for a short time.

Having driven to emergency incidents under blue lights I can confirm that the drivers of such vehicles need every available assistance to be seen and responded to. You might be sharp and aware but, trust me, lots aren't. And if it were your trousers that were alight you would want them extinguished as soon as possible hence trying to get to you with haste.

"I can only imagine that the people who have decided to fit them have no knowledge or experience whatsoever in the field of road safety." ...... I don't have that information to hand but I have a feeling it would have been given a degree of thought and was decided that it had the desired effect. I can't speak for anyone else but having been confronted with them countless times I, personally, can't see the problem.

Edited by KB. on 17/10/2018 at 12:25

Alternately flashing headlamps. - jc2

Having been the patient in the back of an emergency ambulance in France which was bright red with four flashing rotating lights,I can confirm they are of little use if the driver in front ignores his rear view mirror and is also deaf!-two tone horns as well.