£5kto spend - advice appreciated
HJ tells me that the cheapest small car is a fiat at just under £5K,given that it wil come with a warranty would you buy this new or spend the £5k on an second hand vehicle?
£5kto spend - DavidHM
How long is a piece of string?

I'd probably go for a new Ford Ka at £5495. Although obviously if you need a bigger car to carry more stuff, that's not an option so you have to go second hand.

Or, if you do a big mileage, I'd look at a Clio dCi for £7108 instead and make the (extra) finance payments with the fuel savings and extra retained value.

As for a Seicento - persnally I wouldn't, even at £4k, although any £5500 Puntos out there might be worth a look. The main problem with Fiats appears to be that they go wrong more than average (although I'm not saying they are inherently unreliable) and when they do, the dealers don't seem to care.
£5kto spend - smokie
I was looking at new Puntos for Mrs Smokie a few months back at the Great Trade Centre at about £5k. They were basic spec, but nice cars.

Mrs Smokie (it was for her) said she wouldn't be able to live ith the bright blue fabric, which clashed with the pale green bodywork. We went for a Focus (somewhat over £5k) but she is very pleased with it.

£5kto spend - Vansboy
I'm not one of the anti-Fiat lobby,much rather ride around in a Punto than a Ka, for ANY price, especially if you do any motorway miles.

But better still, buy a 6/9 month old Punto, from Fiats own section, within a British car Auction & save another £1000 or so! No need to go to car supermarket, then.

But of course, your main dealer may still be stuffed with pre-facelift models & keen to deal, too!!

VB
£5kto spend - THe Growler
>>>The main problem with Fiats appears to be that they go wrong more than average (although I'm not saying they are inherently unreliable)>>>

Lovely! You don't have politics in mind as a future calling by any chance, DavidHM?
£5kto spend - tunacat
If it has to be small (and new),
have you considered the Perodua Kelisa, or latest Suzuki Alto, or Daihatsu Charade ?

If it has to be new (but could be bigger),
have you considered the basic-spec Kia Rio ?

Second-hand of course you could get virtually anything, with commensurate age/mileage.

£5kto spend - madf
Although around for a long time, Peugeot 106s are cxheap and pleasant to drive (or Citroen Saxos if badges matter)
madf