Astra L reg 1.6SE oil change - David Horn
Could someone set me straight on this please?

I've just changed the oil on my 1.6 Astra 8v engine. When putting the oil in I made sure it was spot on the max mark - started the engine, let the oil circulate and checked again - it was two inches OVER the max mark.

I assumed this was just because I'd moved the car slightly after filling the oil and was checking again on a slight slope (the car on a very slight camber and went on a brief test drive). It sounded fine, apart from a vile smell of burning oil from where I managed to spill a little into a place I couldn't wipe!

I put about 4 litres in total into the engine - is that about right? I don't trust the Hayne's manuals for values any more after an an error managed to result in the costly destruction of my dad's auto box. If anything I'd have expected the level to go down as oil is circulated into the filter and around the engine.
Astra L reg 1.6SE oil change - DL
4 litres sounds about right to me, if not .5 litre too much IIRC.

Check the level with the engine cold, if it is still over the mark, I would drain off a litre or so and go from there.
Astra L reg 1.6SE oil change - wemyss
Check this previous thread to find similar problems
tinyurl.com/r2p1
Astra L reg 1.6SE oil change - Dynamic Dave
I put about 4 litres in total into the engine - is that about right?

Nope, too much. My book says 3½ litres of oil for the 1.6 engine. Its the 1.8 & 2.0 litre engine that takes 4 litres of oil.
Whip off the oil filter (it holds approx ½ litre of oil) and pour out the oil from it. Refit and the level should then be about right. As a guide, between min & max on the dipstick is ¾ of a litre.