The use of Fog Lights? - YoungSeicento
Hi a newbie here wishes to get something of my chest.

Why on earth do idoits mainly boy racers need to have front fog lights on in the dark (Yet there is no fog!). I am getting tired of blinded by these pr*ts in the city and country. Local plod doesn't take any notice at all.

I was told when I did my driving lessons some 3 years ago that the use of fog lights are a no no in good weather - did the law change since then?

YoungSei.

(city in question = Lincoln)
The use of Fog Lights? - Wilco {P}
YS - welcome. Have a look at this previous thread!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11267&...f

and there have been others.....I'm sure the law is clear and unchanged but, hey, that won't stop some people....

The use of Fog Lights? - Dynamic Dave
YS - welcome. Have a look at this previous thread!
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11267&...f
and there have been others.....

Yes, many many others.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7190
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9997&v...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=10355&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8710&v...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=4040&v...f

for example.

Perhaps we should have a foglamp thread similar to the \"I have a question\" and \"speeding\" threads where all things relating to foglamps are confined to the one thread.
The use of Fog Lights? - Flat in Fifth
"Perhaps we should have a foglamp thread similar to the "I have a question" and "speeding" threads where all things relating to foglamps are confined to the one thread."

Previously I have suggested exactly that on two separate occasions DD. About time if you make it so in my opinion.

The downside of mamba threads are that they appear disjointed, but on the up-side it definitely stops what must be an extremely offputting experience to newcomers. By that I mean the "oh we've been here many times before" type of response to what they thought was a good thread topic.
The use of Fog Lights? - Wilco {P}
YoungSei

Not out to diss you - just make you aware of some of the idle banter there's been previously. Without looking I'm sure that the vast majority are sympathetic to your original post.

Surely there won't be a Fog Lamp Thread XVIII.....?
The use of Fog Lights? - number67
It's not just the boy racers anymore.

You often see in 'normal' car magazines (not just your Maxed Motor -look at my bird ones), thatjust after the letters page complaining about fog lights, there'll be a back to back car review. In all the glossy photos you've got Focus/Golf/Astra all lined up in broad daylight with their fogs on! - Obvoiusly the photographers and editors think it looks good - so the public think it looks good - QED
The use of Fog Lights? - Sooty Tailpipes
At night, I usually blind them back with main beam, but too often I can't due to other cars on the road. Weren't all newer cars fitted after a certain date with rear fogs that turn off when the headlights are switched off? This should be made to apply to front fogs, and then there would be no excuse about them being left on by accident and the state can get the police to give them fixed penalties, and leave decent drivers alone.
The use of Fog Lights? - paulb {P}
The saddest thing of all is when you see these people going along with their fogs on, and one of them is out because the bulb's gone....... It looks naff beyond belief.

I've had a couple of cars (Fiats Punto and Stilo) which had a green indicator lamp on the instrument panel which lit up when the front fogs were on, and a yellow one for the back fogs. Good idea, IMHO, & if all cars had something similar the "didn't realise they were on" argument would become redundant.
The use of Fog Lights? - kithmo
I've had a couple of cars (Fiats Punto and Stilo) which
had a green indicator lamp on the instrument panel which lit
up when the front fogs were on, and a yellow one
for the back fogs. Good idea, IMHO, & if all
cars had something similar the "didn't realise they were on" argument
would become redundant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the law state that fog lights, front or rear, have to have an indicator light to show that they are on. The problem is some manufacturers don't put the indicator light on the dash, but on the switch. So it is difficult to see when they are on (more so in the daylight).
I personally never use my front fogs as I don't think they are any more visible than the headlights and they certainly don't throw any light on anything but the floor just in front of the car, if I had to rely on seeing something at that distance I would leave the car at home, and before anyone says it, they ARE correctly aligned.
The use of Fog Lights? - twinexhaust
The daftest are those who, at dusk, have have their side lights on with front fogs. Think they look *Cool*. What's wrong with headlights for heavens sake!
The use of Fog Lights? - Chicken Madras
kith,

My Lexus has an indicator light on the dash for the front fog lights, but the rear fog light warning light is on the switch which is below the steering wheel centre and way out of my line of sight.

I have only used my front fog lights once, and that was in torrential rain on the back roads from Nottingham to Stamford and they helped show where any big puddles to my left were. I\'ve never felt the need to use them at any other time.

The rear fog lights are turned off when the main lights or ignition are turned off. A touch of Japanese brilliance or just a touch of common sense? I wasn\'t aware that this was a legal requirement now as the only cars I\'ve seen this on are a Nissan Micra and my car. If only our wonderful government would make this an MOT requirement on ALL cars now, we\'d all know that anyone driving along at night with their rear fogs on was a proper pink fluffy dice and hadn\'t simply forgotten to turn them off after their car was serviced/MOT\'d....

To be honest, why do we need front OR rear fog lights?

The use of Fog Lights? - hillman
>>To be honest, why do we need front OR rear fog lights?

We don't get 'FOG' nowadays, I refer to the old pea souper type, or the smog as of before the smokeless zone laws. But, we do get thick mist in High Peak. In thick mist it is very beneficial to have a good rear fog light on the car in front, because the normal rear lights are barely visible. Long ago, when headlights were not so good as they are now, a front fog light was needed to see the road edge. That is not the case now.
The use of Fog Lights? - paulb {P}
The problem is some manufacturers
don't put the indicator light on the dash, but on the
switch. So it is difficult to see when they are on
(more so in the daylight).

This is exactly the point. Even a total dimwit must surely look at their instrument panel occasionally (although I quite often meet people at night who don't appear to know what the "main beam" indicator light means) whereas when the lamp is on the switch itself and is obscured by other controls/the steering wheel, it would be easy to miss it. On the cars in question the indicator lamps are at the top right underneath the fuel gauge & thus very hard not to see. The Punto even had a lamp for the heated rear window as well - now there's a good idea.
The use of Fog Lights? - Colin M
Another pet hate is that even in \"fog\" the rear light should surely be turned off as soon as another vehicle is in trail because the light has served it\'s purpose and if left on will only dazzle the following car. The only time you need to use it is if you can\'t see anyone behind you.

Sadly many people select rear fogs on at the first sign of light mist and forget about them until spring or the next MOT. Makes me smile to see all the twits in stationary traffic on the M25 with lights blazing but annoys me the same idiots leave them on in the rain.
The use of Fog Lights? - jeds
Front fogs are completely unecessary and should be banned. Rear fogs should only be used during daylight when visibility is reduced. It does amuse me when the idiot 75 metres in front has high intensity lights on at night when I can clearly see cars a mile away with normal lights on. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 occasions in the last 25 years when high intensity rear fogs might have been useful at night but it is very rare indeed.
The use of Fog Lights? - Sooty Tailpipes
I agree with Hillman and others, in 10+ years of motoring, I have only used foglights a handful of times, and then only for short length of times,

Front ones don't seem to be useful at any time anyway, they just seem to make the fog brighter in front of the car, thus whiting out objects which may be picked out by the headlights further away.

I would rather see the foglight apertures used for long range lights which supplement main beam and only come on with main beam.
The use of Fog Lights? - Altea Ego
I have to say that the last 4 cars i have had with front fog lights, they are next to useless. They only light a very short area to the front and are wider to the side, but totally useless at anything under 10 mph. Most headlights are now so well sharpened and directed that glareback in fog is a thing of the past.

I do find rear fog lights useful in heavy spray tho. I know some people hate their use in the wet, but in very heavy spray its nice to know if there is a car in the huge ball of mist at the sides of a 39 ton lorry on the M25.
The use of Fog Lights? - RogerL
Because of delays in the National Health Service, it's obligatory for drivers to use front or rear fog lights in clear conditions, but to use only parking lights in poor visibility, while on the waiting list for a brain transplant. This is to show other drivers that the currently installed unit is defective.
The use of Fog Lights? - edisdead {P}
lol @rogerl ;-)

Surely front fogs are just a fashion accessory? I've never found a use for them, other than making me look like a proper numpty and dazzling people in front of me.

Ed.
The use of Fog Lights? - Liverpaul
I do use the front fogs occasionally, but only when i'm travelling along unclassified country lanes at night, and then in the same way as my main beam, if (on the rare occasions it happens) someone is coming the opposite way , or I catch someone up, I turn off both the fog lights and the main beam so as not to dazzle - common courtesy or etiquette (used to be the norm, now the exception) it's called.

The reason I use them is on our so well maintained road network we have numerous pot holes ready to damage your suspension/ wheels/ knock your alignment and the fogs are very good at picking out more of these at night.

Agree however, that those using them in normal conditions or on main roads should be banned from driving, at the very least!

Paul
The use of Fog Lights? - Robert J.
A mate of mine was stopped by the Police for using his foglamps when it was not foggy. Could have been more to do with the fact that they spotted him leaving a pub car park at 11.30 at night !
Goes to show that they are prepared to use it as an excuse to stop people though.
Luckily my mate had nothing to hide I should add.
The use of Fog Lights? - Dynamic Dave
A mate of mine was stopped by the Police for using
his foglamps when it was not foggy.

So did I a few years ago.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=71...1
The use of Fog Lights? - Mondaywoe
A few years ago I met a police car and the driver pointed down at the front of my car as he passed. At the time, I couldn't think what he was on about and it was only when I got out later and had a right good look at the front of the car that I saw the fogs were on.

I had had them on the day before (when it really was foggy!) and had forgotten to cancel the switch. If anyone knows the Xantia they'll know that in daylight it is practically impossible to see the warning light. After that, I avoided using them - simply because I couldn't trust myself to switch them off! The trouble was that Xantias have quite poor main beams and I often used the white fogs at night to help pick out verges on unclassified roads.

Now I've got the C5 with xenons (good!)and no separate fogs. Citroen claims the fogs are built into the headlights (??)

Graeme
The use of Fog Lights? - smokie
Same happened to a mate of mine Robert. The difference being he WAS over the limit. By quite a bit.

I don't really object to them using ANY excuse to try to reduce the number of drunks on the road. Even if I occassionally get stopped as well.
The use of Fog Lights? - Wales Forester
How can anyone justify the use of rear fog lights in any condition other than heavy fog?!

The use of these high intensity lights in heavy rain serves no purpose except to obliterate the following driver\'s view, as every raindrop hitting the following vehicle\'s windscreen is momentarily illuminated red (between wiper strokes) by the offending vehicle\'s rear fog light, making it very difficult to see what is going on ahead.

Anyone who has followed (at the correct distance) someone with their rear fog lights lit in heavy rain, especially on a fast road, will I\'m sure know exactly what I mean, it is downright dangerous.

PP

The use of Fog Lights? - Chad.R
Totally agree - a point I made in one of the previous fog lamp posts ......

Chad.
Inappropriate fog light use - Aprilia
An 'old chestnut' I guess. With the darker evenings there seem to be plenty of the usual goons who drive with front foglights permanently on (even on a perfectly clear evening). Some even drive with sidelights and fogs (but not headlights).

One question though. Why is it that 9 out of 10 of these drivers are in small Peugeots or BMW 3-series?
Inappropriate fog light use - terryb
...or snotty little Fiats !
Terry
Inappropriate fog light use - No Do$h
Saw a corker the other evening. Renault 19 16v (yes, there is one left on the road) with sidelights (blue, naturally) and front fogs (yellow lenses) on.

Drove past police station as a patrol car was waiting to come out. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, no response.

Now if he'd been doing 35..........
Inappropriate fog light use - NitroBurner
The trouble is folks, the culprits don't care what others think & don't read or take any notice of sensible advice...
Inappropriate fog light use - andymc {P}
I occasionally use the front fogs to improve my visibility at night when there is no fog or heavy rain. What makes me choose to do this is someone coming towards me with blinding lights on. On a narrow country road (where I live, this means most of the roads), if I'm dazzled it often means that I can no longer see the verge on my side, nor even anything of the oncoming vehicle other than its lights. I once came within a few inches of mowing down a pedestrian who was stupidly walking along with his back to the traffic (i.e. me) - there was nearly a serious accident because he was on the wrong side of the road and I couldn't see him due to the vehicle coming towards me having full beams on. Fortunately I had reacted correctly to being dazzled, by slowing right down to well below 20 as I passed, or it would have been gruesome. Even then it was still an emergency stop, and luckily my brakes & tyres were in good nick. If I'd been using the front fogs I could have avoided such a drastic manoeuvre. It's also a less dangerous and bad-tempered response to someone else's main beam than a full blast of my own beams, which I have been guilty of more than once. But I don't think it's acceptable to use front fogs outside this kind of situation unless weather conditions make them necessary.
andymc
andymc
Inappropriate fog light use - henry k
I occasionally use the front fogs to improve my visibility at
night if I'm dazzled it often means that I can no longer see >> the verge on my side,

I very interesting observation. I do not venture often on country roads at night with wandering pedestrians so it is a useful idea to file for future use.
I recently hired a Renault Scenic. When switching from dip to mainbeam I initially found it a bit disconcerting as there was a significant spread of light sideways almost like fog lights.
I do not know if it was by design or a side effect.
On balance I did not like it for normal driving.
Inappropriate fog light use - Nsar
>>If I'd been using the front fogs I could have avoided such a drastic manoeuvre.<<
How will switching on your front fogs help you when a car is on your side of the road? Presumably your fogs aren't operated off your column stalks, so taking a hand off the wheel to find a rarely used switch on your dash whilst doing an emergency stop, with a car on a collision course seems a bit of an odd response. Perhaps I've misunderstood your post but in those circs I'd say to hell with risking blinding the other person, light up the road and keep as much control of your car and the situation as possible!
The incident was a combination of two dangerous (and avoidable) situations. The car wasn't on my side of the road, the pedestrian was, with his back to me. The oncoming car passed him just a few yards before passing me. Due to being blinded by the other car's lights, I only saw the pedestrian after the car had passed me and I therefore only had a few yards (or less) to react. My point was that I'd have seen the pedestrian a bit sooner if I'd switched on my front fogs at the point where I'd normally be tempted to flash the oncoming driver, as they would have lit the verge of the road where the pedestrian was.

The foglight switch in my car is the same is the switch for turning the lights on and off, so it's easy to find. I didn't mean that I would try to operate it during an emergency stop, rather that the emergency stop might have been avoided, or been a "non"-emergency stop - I would have had a bit more reaction time. As it was, I probably only managed to stop in time because I'd already scrubbed off most of my speed and my foot was still on the brake pedal.

Don't know if I've made this any clearer or not!
andymc
Inappropriate fog light use - Dynamic Dave
Andymc,

I don't see how fog lights would have made the pedestrian more visible? If your fog lights are set up correctly, then they should only radiate light out as far as half your dipped beam lights do. Therefore your dipped beam should have shone up the pedestrian before the fogs would have done.

As for the other cars headlights blinding you:-
1. Either close one eye and then open again after it's gone by - so that you've still got one good eye that's not been blinded.
2. or look left toward the verge. You might have then seen the pedestrian with the other cars headlights.
Inappropriate fog light use - Nortones2
DD: I agree. There seems to be an assumption by the "fashion conscious" that powerful, long range lamps should be placed in the low position for fog lamps. The irony of all this is that properly set fogs are only useful at crawling speed, in FOG. However, the police seem to have given up on such matters.
I have foglights on the car because they were part of the standard kit. If you knew what I looked like you certainly wouldn't think I was fashion conscious! I have never modded a car - in fact, I still think the word "phat" refers to the latest increase in my waist measurement. I've never adjusted the foglights (wouldn't know how) and they do seem to illuminate not just the bit immediately in front, but a bit at the side of the road for a few feet as well. I still think that with them on I would have seen the movement just a little earlier of the guy's feet as he walked. Have to admit that it never occurred to me that they might be mis-aligned, so I'll have to have that checked.

DD - I know about the night vision thing, but it's good to get a reminder. I've found that looking to the left and using the other guy's light can also work sometimes, but not every time. Anyway, it all gets filed under E for experience.

andymc