Futile Foglamp Brigade - John Davis
Has anyone else noticed ? Most of the simpletons who ran around, usually about ten feet from your rear bumber, with about half a million watts of headlamp and foglamp power, burning the paint of your boot lid, seem now to have abandoned that foolishness. Earlier in the year, this particular "cretin count" would go into double figures over less than an hour. I now see hardly any. I wonder what stupidity will replace it ?
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Dwight Van Driver
JD

Summer nights and daylight cruising. Darkness fast approaching, they will be back.
Current craze up North are these cruise meetings on an Industrial Estate where they thrash hell out of their prize modifications. Another import from the US of A.

DVD
\ch{:)}
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Peter D
Occasionally the police pull one over and charge them under the road traffic act. It is illegal to use fog lights when the visibility is greater than 100 metres and to have fog or spot ligths on when the headlights are not on. Regards Peter
Futile Foglamp Brigade - jc
Notice that most of them drive BMW.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - The Watcher
While I don't condone anyone driving with light set to dazzle other drivers, I find it very ironic that we have a sizeable number of old farts on the road and it the police who actually want people to turn car lights OFF at night!

Correctly fitted foglamps do NOT dazzle because their beam is near to the ground, angled downwards and diffused in front of the car as opposed to being focused to a point further ahead of the car in the case of headlamps.

The 100 metre 'law' is an ass and people should be encouraged more to have more lights on at night not less.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Stargazer {P}
Watcher,

Correctly fitted and aligned fog lights are not a problem, but the majority of fog lights are either self fitted and never aligned or get kerbed when parking.

Fog light alignment is not part of the MOT and is therefore never even tested.

Driving around on a sunny day with front fogs is just pointless, driving around with rear fog lights on is downright dangerous as they are the same intensity as brake lights and for older cars without the 3rd centre rear brake light the fog lights can mask the brake lights coming on.

btw, no shortage of front fog light users in sunny oxfordshire, or in sunny Hawaii from where I have just returned

regards

I.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - THe Growler
The daylight fog lamp brigade, and oh yeah we have plenty of them too, and yes, it's funny how they seem to be in such large part BMW's, are making a statement. I'm not quite sure what it is, I'll leave that to the psychologists.

For me, "****-for-brains" describes the condition quite adequately.

The obvious answer is to make foglamp alignment part of the MOT. Or are we now going to encourage scores of motorbike users that having their headlight on in daylight is irresponsible too?

The gross inconsistenct here is that we tell people to see and be seen yet penalise people for driving with low mounted fog lamps on during the day!

Besides, I do not think fog lamps are the problem here because by their nature, they are literally inches from the road and as I have already said, defuse the light a short distance in front of the car. I have yet to be dazzled by anyones fog lamps and would suggest the problem are the after market driving or spot lamps.

Imho, driving around in daylight using manufacturers fitted low mounted foglamps should be encouraged. To suggest using them in day light is pointless is wrong because a car with lights on, even in daylight catches everyone's attention (pedestrians as well as other drivers) alerting them to the presence of an oncoming vehicle.

I have been blinded on more than one ocassion by badly aligned headlamps on cars, buses and trucks but never foglamps.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Crombster
I have to agree in that I have never been blinded or annoyed by another drivers fog lights. Although I do not use them myself unless weather conditions deem them necessary, I find badly adjusted headlamps far more of a headache on the road.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Martin Devon
Dear Crombster and Watcher.

Never been blinded by these t***s Foglamps. Perhaps you two need voluntary eye tests. How do the lamps fair for you on damp roads then. Yours in amazement.
Actually, I'd suggest there is something wrong with your vision if lights on a damp road blind you. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life.

Are you dazzled in these same conditions when a motor cyclist has his or her headlamp(s) on, which is generally angled a darn sight further in front of the bike? If not why not and if so, are you advocating bikers shouldn't have their lights on?

Also, should we not have ANY lights on in such conditions when the daylight isn't so bright ie a dull day?

Futile Foglamp Brigade - Tim
Whilst they may not be dazzling, I find that they do tend to draw the eye and distract my concentration of the road for a milisecond(?). When they are on the car behind me at night, seeing four lights in your mirror rather than two also leaves you unable to assess what's happening behind your car as easily as having two lights ...IMHO!
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Dynamic Dave
I have yet to be dazzled by anyones fog lamps

I suggest you come to Oxfordshire then. Most people round here are either blind because they need their fogs on to see where they're going, or blind because of idiots with badly misaligned fogs that dazzle the hell out of you.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - jeds
It's hard to believe that there are people who think high intensity fog lights are OK and safe. In fact they are one of the worst nuisances and I can only think that these people do not travel much on the roads.

The M32 Motorway is a long hill. In the evenings, while crawling at walking pace, if there is the merest wisp of fog somewhere up on the hillside, you can look up the hill and clearly see the standard rear lights on the backs of cars more than a mile away. Yet the idiot 50ft in front, and usually the idiot in front of him as well, and so on, apparently thinks you won't see them unless they laser your eyes out with their high intensity fog lights.

It's OK if all you do is drive home from work but If you regularly drive long distances it is very distracting and definately hurts the eyes after a while.
Has anyone else noticed ? Most of the simpletons who
ran around, usually about ten feet from your rear bumber, with
about half a million watts of headlamp and foglamp power, burning
the paint of your boot lid, seem now to have abandoned
that foolishness.

Coming back from Bournemouth this evening, I tend to disagree with that statement.
However, I hit main beam moments before they pass me from the other direction. This gives the idiot no time to react and it means that I get revenge on the little baseball wearing scroat for dazzling me with his fogs in the first place.
If they're behind you with their front fogs on, simply put your rear fogs on and adjust the anti dazzle mirror.

They dazzle me. I dazzle 'em back. Simple really.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - RichardW
I was followed down the A69 towards Newcastle by a Scenic on Saturday, just as it was getting dark. he had fogs and main beam on. Depsite repeated flashes of my rear fogs, plus prolonged driving with them on, he didn't manage to find the dip switch. There's no helping some people!

Followed a guy out of my town last winter on a dark morning, about 1 mile down the road it starts getting a bit foggy, so he puts on his Read Fogs. "Hello!! I can already see you, and now you're blinding me!" Took about 5 miles with main beam on before he switched them off again....

Richard
Futile Foglamp Brigade - BrianW
RichardW
This is a typical piece of poor observation, he hadn't worked out that you were close enough behind not to require extra help.

A similar thing occurs when someone the car in front screams to a halt to let someone out of a side turning, not having observed that you are the only vehicle behind him and there is nothing coming the other way, so if we both went past it leaves the joining vehicle with a completely clear road to turn out into.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - svpworld
I recall a story that my old man told me when he was "younger". He got so fed up of people behind him dazzling that in the end he placed a mirror on his rear parcel shelf with a string attached to the top and fed it to the front pillars. When the offending motorist came up behind him, a quick tug on the string was sufficient to back off!

(sometimes if a motorist gets too close to my rear end, I put the rear fogs on - invariably they think I'm braking and back off)

S.

Few years ago I forgot to turn off the front fogs after driving down a misty road (unlit with no road markings) Later joined main carrageway again, and plod pulled me over and rudely informed me that they were on and because I was causing the offence "undue dazzle" to other motorists he was to issue me with a £40 on the spot fine. While jobsworth plod was doing the paperwork and giving the car the once over to find anything else wrong, his colleague told me that I was the 7th motorist pulled that night for various lighting offences (failed brakelights, ect). He also went on to say that if it were him, he would have simply told me to turn the front fogs off and let me get on with my journey as the paperwork involved when they got back to the Sty would take a further hour to fill out.
Fortunately for me, the jobsworth plod filled in the fixed penalty notice with an incorrect date, and after a polite letter to the clerk of the Justice's I was let off the fine as the penalty notice was declared invalid.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Steve S
Whether you get warned or "done" seems to depend on how long the particular rozzer has been out of Hendon. The new ones are out to nick everyone and everything, oh the power!

I was pulled for a rear light failure (new - because I check them pretty regularly).

Police car contained one youngster and a more experienced officer. Young guy gives me the kind of attitude I'd expect if I was armed! Worse, he is visibly gutted when the older guy tells him that he can be confident that a company car driver will get a bulb changed now that it's been pointed out.

On the fog lights - is it the case that some cars don't alert the driver in an obvious enough way? I've noticed that French cars, particularly Renaults & Pugs seem to drive around with fog lights on.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Miltonray
EEEEEEEEE Enid theres a spot of drizzle. Better Blind the poor s** behind with that big red light!

Foglamps are for driving in fog. Yes you get noticed more if you put blackpool illuminations on your car in normal visibility conditions but it is inconsiderate to all the other users. Dazzling is more likely to cause accident than prevent them.

Latest crazes.......... put purple LEDS in your washer squirters, drive round in your BMW with the "Tiger eye" rings, Replace headlamp bulbs with 500w dichroic bulbs etc etc
Are they fogs? - Trisha TR
I think you'll find that many of these 'fog lamps' are in actual fact 'driving lamps'. These are designed as 'in-fill' lights - these dazzle far worse than fog lamps (whether fitted correctly or not) and should only come on if you have your high-beam on... thus you'll only blind someone if you have high beams on - or they are purposefully wired incorrectly.

And while on the subject of fogs I had to re-wire Main Dealer fitted front fogs as they had wired them to come on only when the rear fogs were illuminated... which is a c*** idea because (as someone says above) I could be blinding the person behind - if I was the 'lead' car, in fog, I may need the front ones on but not necesarily the rear ones.

(And LEDs on the washer jets are naff - but not as effing stupid as 'tireflies'... put these on your car and get the big 'cretin' badge free)
Are they fogs? - Tim
And while on the subject of fogs I had to
re-wire Main Dealer fitted front fogs as they had wired them
to come on only when the rear fogs were illuminated... which
is a c*** idea because (as someone says above) I could
be blinding the person behind - if I was the 'lead'
car, in fog, I may need the front ones on but
not necesarily the rear ones.

If you are in fog surely the rear fogs are more important than the front (marginaly)?? Driving along without rear fogs on in greatly reduced visibility is asking for a shunt from behind. Even if you thought that a car who was following you could see you, there's nothing stopping him turning off and a faster vehicle running you off the road. Or am I just not thinking logically here?
Are they fogs? - Dynamic Dave
I think you'll find that many of these 'fog lamps' are
in actual fact 'driving lamps'. These are designed as 'in-fill'
lights - these dazzle far worse than fog lamps (whether fitted
correctly or not) and should only come on if you have
your high-beam on...

My Vectra is classed as having "driving lights" They work on both dip and main beam. However, these driving lights only illuminate a few feet in front of the car, about half way between the car and dipped beam range. Basically they operate in exactly the same way as front fog lights. Set correctly, they do not dazzle oncoming motorists.

On my earlier Mk1 Astra the front and rear fogs only worked on dipped beam. As soon as you went to main beam they went off. Reason being, if visibility is good enough for main beam, why need your fog lights on!!
Lucky you werent charged with driving without due care and attention.
Lucky you werent charged with driving without due care and attention.>> Few years ago I forgot to turn off the front fogs
after driving down a misty road (unlit with no road markings)
Later joined main carrageway again, and plod pulled me over and
rudely informed me that they were on and because I was
causing the offence "undue dazzle" to other motorists he was to
issue me with a £40 on the spot fine. While jobsworth
plod was doing the paperwork and giving the car the once
over to find anything else wrong, his colleague told me that
I was the 7th motorist pulled that night for various lighting
offences (failed brakelights, ect). He also went on to say that
if it were him, he would have simply told me to
turn the front fogs off and let me get on with
my journey as the paperwork involved when they got back to
the Sty would take a further hour to fill out.
Fortunately for me, the jobsworth plod filled in the fixed penalty
notice with an incorrect date, and after a polite letter to
the clerk of the Justice's I was let off the fine
as the penalty notice was declared invalid.
How is "undue dazzle" defined? Surely a subjective judgement. Haven't these porkers anything better to do, or is running after crims too hazardous?
Futile Foglamp Brigade - James_Jameson
To any drivers out there who like to use fog lamps when it's not foggy...

most fog lamps are much brighter than brake lights and the two are often sited close together.

Brake lights, when they come on, are therefore often hard to see if there is a much brighter light blazing nearby...work the rest out.
"most fog lamps are much brighter than brake lights and the two are often sited close together."

I am really surprised that the Construction and Use regulations do not stipulate a minimum separation.

Perhaps that is too logical!

How is "undue dazzle" defined?

According to plod who stopped me and quoted rule "whatever, subsection 3.5" because I was emitting more than 110 watts of light (55 watts each for dipped beam) from the front of my vehicle in clear visiblity, it is classed as undue dazzle.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - RichardW
It occured to me this morning (whilst driving my works Focus in fog) WHY (partly at least) so many people drive around with their fogs on. The light switch on the Focus is on the facia by your right knee. With your hands on the wheel you cannot see the light switch. Guess where the only warning light for the fogs is? I drove my mate's A4 at the weekend and his was the same. Also, there seems to be no warning light on the focus that you have got the lights on (except main beam) - why not? This makes it difficult to tell if you have the lights on in daylight or not without looking down at, or feeling for, the switch. On my BX there is a side light, dip and main beam warning, and the fog switch is right up on the binnacle with a light on it, so you know if it's switched on. Much more satisfactory.

Richard
Futile Foglamp Brigade - L'escargot
Has anyone else noticed ? Most of the simpletons who
ran around, usually about ten feet from your rear bumber, with
about half a million watts of headlamp and foglamp power, burning
the paint of your boot lid, seem now to have abandoned
that foolishness. Earlier in the year, this particular "cretin
count" would go into double figures over less than an hour.
I now see hardly any. I wonder what stupidity will
replace it ?

It's already been replaced ~ by headlights on main beam, even (or especially !!) in broad daylight !!
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Dave_TD
Rear foglamps are EXACTLY the same intensity as brake lamps - 21w per bulb! The only difference is that the reflector in a rear foglamp is shaped to aim a strong red beam in a narrow straight line directly behind the car, whereas the reflector in a brake lamp is designed to allow it to be seen from a wide angle, ie 300yds away on a curved motorway sliproad for example.
Most modern cars only seem to be fitted with one rear fog lamp, so you can distinguish it from 2 (or 3!) brake lamps in heavy traffic. But it's still damn annoying.

If my rear foglamp is ever switched on, it is only on the occasions where I consider there to be a risk of another motorist colliding with my car through not seeing it. As soon as they are close enough to see my car without the foglamp, I turn it off so as not to dazzle them.

It amazes me how drivers can find the fog lamp switch at the first sign of a patch of fog, but then forget whereabouts on the dashboard they left it for the next 3 days....
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Dynamic Dave....if we all use daylight running lights, motorcycles will be invisible again.....bad idea.

I think your plod was bluffing. Bulb limit is 55W, but there's no limit on numbers of lamps.

There are no definitions covering "fog" "spot" or "driving" lamps.

The simple rule is aux lights can be used at any time, providing they don't dazzle anyone, but ONLY if they're wired through the dip switch and can only be on if main beam is also on.

Yours can be used with dipped lights on, so are illegal unless it's foggy.

I use two pairs of aux, one wide and one long range, so I can make good progress on the twisties with both, and use the wides to avoid cats, foxes, cyclists and inebriates in the suburbs. They're controlled by two switches, both wired through the dip switch, so only work with main beam on. Legal in all conditions.

This still attracted traffic plod, with full stobes, who blocked the road to stop me escaping from the drive into which I had turned.

It was disappointing to find he didn't know the law. A very heated discussion sapped his confidence, and he tried to save face by shining his torch on a lamp lens and muttering "oh, yes, it's got a reference number stamped on it, so it's OK"

Utterly irrelevant. A retired traffic plod told me the current plod crop's crap. Can't argue with that.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Pugugly {P}
"There are no definitions covering "fog" "spot" or "driving" lamps." agreed, but there are definitions covering "optinal" lights.

Put simply if your front light fail the "knee" test (i.e. they are below knee level as is the case with the lights under discussion) they become lights that can only be used in conditions of "seriously reduced visibility" and ,no, this does not mean when its dark.

I had a Porsche driver who kept getting stopped by the Police, quite rightly, for having his front optional (below bumper) lights on and was booked about three times in a week under circumstances that neither him nor I could disagree. The problem was that the fourth time he was stopped he threw his keys to the ground and told the Police he didn't want the bother of owning such a prestige motor if he kept getting stopped. After being booked for the fourth time he walked off leaving the bemused cop in possession of an unwanted Porsche - so he got it recovered at some cost to the owner. He came to see me to try and negotiate its release a few days later,
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Ian (Cape Town)
Fascinating.
The Opel has these "auxiliary" driving lights (I checked the manual for the phrase!) below knee height, which come on permanently when the main beam or dipped beams are in use.
I personally don't like them, as it makes the car look like a boy-racer mobile, but I couldn't be bothered to go through the rigmarole of installing another switch for them.
Interestingly enough, according to the manual, if the bulb goes, the car has to be taken back to the Opel dealer to get it replaced.
And even though we have some pretty horrid weather here, the car comes with no rear foglight as a standard (though their are 'holes' in the ligh cluster for the things...
I alway drive with my front fogs on now after reading this thread.

At least I KNOW you have seen me judging by all the anti daylight use brigade come up with and that is exactly what I want, thank you!
Wotcha, Watcher. Good on you. Just don't come to my neck of the woods, you'll collect several £40 fixed penalties per day!

Pug........can you point me to that Regulation, please? I thought the height limit was set to prohibit low down lights.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Flat in Fifth
I have to question the advice given by m'learned friend Pugugly.

The optional lights as described above come under the classification of main beam headlamps in that they are wired so as to be extinguished by operation of the dipswitch.

ref Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 Schedule 5 para 10 (a) (ii)

Reference to the same regulations Schedule 5 para 2 (c) which refers to the vertical positional requirement simply states "No requirement"

Obviously I don't know the exact circumstances in which m'learned friend's client was using his Porker. I can think of quite a number of cars, eg my old 205GTI, which had additional main beam lamps fitted as OEM equipment below the bumper and wired in this manner, ie only operate with main beam. If they were illegal as suggested why did this car, and the Porsche get a type aproval? Or is it a case of not illegal to supply, but illegal to use.

I am more than willing to be corrected on my interpretation of RVLR 1989 though.
I meant to have Chapter and Verse available for tonight. But due to a serious brain overload in work today I left the printouts on my desk.....try again tomorrow.

The lamps on the porker were "fog lamps" i.e. switchable and not dippable with main beam,

More news tomorrow.
Got the stuff faxed to me off the "last to leave the office" brigade

Talking Fog Lamps here as defined by Schedule 6 of RVLR 1989 - no other type of lamp...

This refers to vehicles used on or after 1.4.91.

POSITION

Longitudinal - No requirment.

Lateral - the maximum distance from side of vehicle is 400mm (when used as a pair.)

Vertical - Maximum height above ground is 1200mm (various excemptions here)

No requirement for Angle of visibility, and various bits an d pieces.

However the Porker was displaying fog lights in other than conditions of seriously reduced visibility. They were not dippable with main beam and had a separate switch.
"However the Porker was displaying fog lights in other than conditions of seriously reduced visibility. They were not dippable with main beam and had a separate switch."

In that case your client was guilty as charged methinks.
Thanks for that, Pug.

I had been a little nervous of late, in case new rules had crept in, of which I was unaware.

Long nights approaching and hordes of ignorant plods to educate. I'll roll up me sleeves................

How do you think "no, Officer, through the dipswitch, you daft dipstick"................would go down?
Managed to get his car back without having to surgically remove an arm or a leg. I personally ripped out the fuse for the FOG LAMPS. He has now changed his car and drives an ultra sensible euro-box with no optional lights of any sort !
Sorry to come back on this one a bit late But:
400mm (16 inches) maximum in from the side and 1200mm (4 feet) maximum height are way above what I imagined were the limits.
On that definition you could put a "fog light" in the middle of the windscreen!
Futile Foglamp Brigade - GJD
That's very selfish of you Watcher. What about all the other things I can't see so well because you're shining twice as much light as you need to at my eyes?
GJD
Don't know what you're all complaining about. Where I live a good 15% of the traffic has no rear lights and at least 5% no lights at all (buses seem to be the worst offenders. The rest varies between a barrage of red, blue or white lights aimed directly at you, the occasional cyclops pointing somewhere at the sky, or some variation of all of that. There is a very widespread school of thought among Filipino drivers that using lights wears out the battery and they should be used sparingly (this is absolutely true!)

Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
More like...........Change is inevitable......progress is pure luck.
Just remember the old adage, 'see AND BE SEEN'!

Sorry, if you are blinded by fog lamps during daylight may I respectfully suggest you visit an optician? The Sun throws out far more light than any fog lamps plus, if you see a halo effect, that is a sign there is something wrong with one's eyes.

I make no apologies for ensuring people can see ME on the road.
Sorry, if you are blinded by fog lamps during daylight
I make no apologies for ensuring people can see ME on
the road.

Do you wear a baseball cap back to front and have illuminated washer jets as well perchance? :o)
What you seem to forget Watcher is that the roads are there for people of all ages to use. Its a matter of the ageing process that peoples eyes are less able to adjust to differences in lighting conditions. Some much younger people have this condition too. Someone, who could have good vision at all other times might not be blinded by bright lights, but have their ability to judge speed and distance reduced by your lights. Its a known effect.

So do you also drive with foglights on at night? If they are adjusted, as you say, pointing down at the ground so they illuminate hardly any distance forward at all, what do you do when its a pea souper?

The whole point of fog lights is that for them to be useful in fog they need to be aligned so that they shine out almost horizontally in the relatively clear air a few inches above the road surface. If they are so adjusted then using them in daylight or at night (with 55w bulbs) WILL cause unecessary dazzle. If they are adjusted so as not to cause this then they are totally useless as a driving aid and just a fashion accessory. Presumably you fall into the latter category.

Also someone made a comment that OEM lights did not dazzle, checked out any PSA group cars, eg 405, 406, Saxo are some of the worst examples.
Wotcha again, Watcher.

I've said it before, but you didn't comment, so I'll ask it again.

We all need to see motorcycles. We do see motorcyles because their lights are on in daylight.

If we all run lights during the day, motorcycles will merge into the scenery again.

How do you think this will affect motorcycle casualty figures?
Futile Foglamp Brigade - smokie
FiF - "The whole point of fog lights is that for them to be useful in fog they need to be aligned so that they shine out almost horizontally in the relatively clear air a few inches above the road surface."

Is that true? I can't remember the last time I was out in fog. But my recollection is that if you shine any light directly out into the fog, all you see is even more dense looking fog. I'd assumed their purpose was to provide additional short to mid-range light to assist with seeing the road markings etc.

I don't however agree with daytime fogs
Futile Foglamp Brigade - bogush
That's the point:

Fog is densest at headlight level, and just reflects them straight back at you, especially if not dipped.

The light from fog lamps is supposed to go under the fog (which is zero at ground level, increases up to headlight level, then thins out again as you get higher), and only get affected on the way back to you.

That's the theory, although there was a long correspondence in the archives by someone who'd done a lot of testing of this to see if different lights made any difference, and he reckoned that foglights were no better than any other.
How do smokie,

Bogush beat me to it, due to the long nature of the post, sorry about that, and the conversation referred to involved both B and myself.

Clear-ish layer? Well that is how I understand it. There is indeed a small area, 6" max maybe where the fog is definitely less dense. Something to with the temperature of the ground.

Guess I need to explain myself more clearly. The vehicle headlights are in the area where fog is present and thickest, so the main problem as the fog gets thicker is, as you say, reflected light off water droplets forming the fog. Similar and brighter effect in falling snow of course.

The main problem with this reflected light is at night of course. Daytime its less of a problem, but I find as the density of the fog increases and the reflected light becomes more of a problem at night, a useful technique is to adjust the dashboard headlight dial that cars have been fitted with for a few years now so that the angle of the dipped beam is deflected downwards. This appears to reduce the quantity of reflected light.

As the density increases further you get to the point that, even with this technique, the amount of reflected lights from dipped beam is excessive. It is at this point that properly adjusted foglights, IMHO, can perhaps give better vision than the dipped headlights, because of this clearer layer effect. However the point at which this occurs requires the fog to be so dense that, quite frankly, the max safe speed attainable is less than 20mph. Probably better to be tucked up at home in front of the idiot box and not out in the thick of it.

However, and here is the point of contention, if the fog lights are adjusted so as to get this effect, the angle they have to be is aligned very slightly downwards, not much below horizontal as they have to be mounted low down to get into this clearer layer. If they are so aligned, then using them in conditions when it is not foggy, be it night or daylight, then causes excess dazzle to opposing drivers. If the lights are angled so as to prevent dazzle, then the distance they illuminate is so short that 10 mph is too fast.

In a past life we did real life tests on this because of the need, in rallying, to be able to ensure max vision in such conditions. Era when pace notes were banned for a time so you had to drive on what you could see. Tests on clear nights do not reproduce the effects, you have to go out on a claggy night as murky as possible.

The intended set up involved a set of wide beam fogs angled out to light up the edges of the forest track in going sideways as well as getting underneath the fog. Actually ended up finding two long range spots and two wider set driving lights (spots but wider beam) as of more use, but that is totally irrelevant to the conversation here.

As a result of these tests, despite what others say, I'm totally convinced of the general uselessness of such lights as fitted to cars today. Thats my opinion and no one will shift it, but I accept that others will differ, and thats fine too. It just seems, rather like the motorbikes on main beam 24/7 argument, that some individuals are adopting a technique, be it for fashion or making themselves more conspicuous, which can be extremely selfish.

If they want to make their vehicles more visible by use of extra light, then dipped heads are the answer when the conditions are clear, be it day or night. Headlights are, of course, subject to regulation concerning positioning and alignment, also checked at testing time.

Sorry for going on a bit, hope that's clear.
FiF
I would go along with what you say, in that fog lights are positioned low so that they do not throw dazzle back at driver level.
However, if I have read the previous posts correctly it is illegal to use fog lamps on their own, so the dazzle from the headlights is going to cancel out the advantage of the foglights?
No Brian it is not illegal to use foglights on their own in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

Seriously reduced visibility is generally taken to mean, according Highway code etc., when the visibility is reduced to less than 100 metres.

Clearly it is illegal to use them in conditions of better visibility when,
1) they are on their own
2) they are on with dipped headlights.

However it is legal to use them in conjunction with main beam as long as wired to extinguish when dipped beam is selected.

My additional point is that the point when they potentially become effective, and here it really is a very subjective opinion, is when visibility is a long long way below the 100m mark.

Hope that clears up the position.
FiF
Yep, thanks.
I'd put the effective range of foglamps at about 30/40 yards in fog and 80/90 yards in snow.
I'd put the effective range of foglamps at about 30/40 yards
in fog and 80/90 yards in snow.

>>

Brian,
Would tend to agree there, roughly roughly.

So if one dials those figures into stopping distances, and considering the conditions, what does one get as the max safe speed?

In clear night time condition UMIST research suggests that the stopping distance at 30 mph is increased from the Highway Code 23 m to just under 29m. That is for young observers.
For poor weather conditions, older, tired observers under sustained effort the distance increases further for each of these conditions. Also increased by the affluence of incohol but lets not go there.

So I submit that my 20 mph max figure agrees with the published research, even though mine was arrived at rather empirically and quite some time ago. Also the foglights were far superior in light output and beam control (Oscars & Hellas) to the cheapo stuff fitted these days.

I'm sure someone could come up with a figure for 80/90 yds in snow and arrive at a speed. How does it go, dry distance * 2 for wet, * 2 again for ice and snow, or ...??

" ... The Sun throws out far more light than any fog ... " ???

True though your statement may be Watcher, I don't look directly at the sun when I'm driving. And do you turn your front fog lights off when you are following other traffic? Oncoming traffic can easily see several of you with normal lights, and they driver in front, who is much closer than the oncoming traffic when it first sees you, is definitely going to be dazzled be your lights in his/her rear-view mirror.

GJD

PS I passed a Class 1 aviation medical four months ago - there's nothing wrong with my eyes.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - doug_523i
I can live with the foglights, it's cars and vans with only one headlight that I think are the real danger. It usually seems to be the offside light that fails, so you think there's a motorbike riding towards you in the dark.

Don't you just love these little lights for the valve caps!!! :-)
Futile Foglamp Brigade - L'escargot
And what about the people that appear to set one headlight high, so that even on dipped it is as high as most cars main beam ??
You can never be sure the Luftwaffe's really gone, they're just being cautious.

I know these things................

Futile Foglamp Brigade - slartibartfast
Personally I hate the morons who drive round with foglights on when not needed and wish the pigs would nick them more often instead of routinely searching me, dazzling other drivers causes accidents, think about that if you're one of the morons who 'likes to be seen' you want oncoming traffic on a wet single carriageway to have an accident at 60odd? Or maybe you want someone to rear end you in the rain because they can't see your brake lights? I flash the morons, that never works so I just switch to main beam, wait a second, then hit the spotlights as well if safe enough...
It would be a huge big help if the car makers wired the fog lights so they couldn't be used as well as headlights, by the time it's foggy enough for foglights, headlights are detrimental, have switching that lets you break the law by having fogs and dips on is ridiculous and practically invites Joe moron to dazzle everyone.

The actual law re foglights:
can only be used in seriously reduced visibility, fronts have to be mounted below a certain height (which I've forgotten) and must be angled 3% down.
It's illegal to have more than two dipped beam lights, no limit on main beams

I love the mirror idea, been wondering about what to do to main beamers behind me... I'll cobble something to the roof as I don't have a parcel shelf

"The actual law re foglights:
can only be used in seriously reduced visibility, fronts have to be mounted below a certain height (which I've forgotten) and must be angled 3% down.
It's illegal to have more than two dipped beam lights, no limit on main beams"

Where did you get that from, smartifartfast?
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Slice
>>"dazzling other drivers causes accidents"

>>"I flash the morons, that never works so I just switch to main beam, wait a second, then hit the spotlights as well if safe enough..."

Well, if you're not part of the solution...
Futile Foglamp Brigade - madf
Well surprisingly enough I occasionally travel the Leek-Buxton road (1000ft+ up Staffordshire/Derbyshire borders) late at night often in winter with rain or snow or mist and cloud. The road is very hilly so you are constantly going up and down rather steep hills. At times the drop in one side is very steep (00s of feet) so driving in bad weather is awful.

Up hills in falling snow or mist is awful. The beams reflect from driving snow and are pointing up in the air. Dipped headlamps and fog lamps are bad, main beam is impossible. Any speed greater than 20mph is asking to go off the road through not seeing bends in time - a slippery surface just makes it worse.

Downhill is not so bad as the lights are pointing down and there appears less light scatter.

Fog lamps in these conditions are great because being low mounted less light is scattered from the mist.

I agree foglamp usage is futile at any time where there is not thick fog or mist . I wear variable photochromic glasses which darken as light increases and even with that I find many motorbikes must have their headlamps on main beam - or are wrongly adjusted - as they can dazzle. The bikers are safer though with them on - at least they can be seen.

With modern electronics it is not beyond the wit of an enterprising electronics company to devise a sensor to measure visibility and warn when fog lamps should be switched on.. and to switch them off automaticaly as required.

As for flashing others in retailiation, well there is enough road rage around, some people appear to need anger management lessons and I don't want to endanger myself. Let alone cause an accident by blinding others.

(Nice thing about Fiestas is the fog lamps are mounted on the dash where they are easily visible and the controls are marked in such a way as to be intuitively obvious (to me at least!) so see which is which.)

In proper bad road conditions, I switch on foglamps, slow down and on motorways open my window.. judging by the maniacs who pass me I always worry about crashes in front... I supect that sensor I talked about should be linked to the ECU and restrict speeds as well:-)

madf
Nice thing about Fiestas is the fog lamps are mounted on the
dash where they are easily visible....

I have always thought Ford's were weird. Mine are mounted at the front and rear of the car :o)
If we are not careful with this we will end up with asking Mark to generate a "Various Random Fog Light Rants mega thread" Might not be a bad idea for all that though we would fill up volumes I II & III pretty quickly.

I never cease to be amazed at what people get up to.

Last night followed a Saxo home for what seemed like forever. Clear night, damp roads & no street lights. OK so they didn't want to go fast fair enough, but on dip the whole way!

No opportunity to overtake until local knowledge gave a bit of an edge. Would have been earlier opportunities but lack of visibility prevented as too risky not knowing where the road goes.

Wondered why the Saxo still kept being flashed by opposing traffic.

Got past, found that whilst they didn't know where the dip/main beam switch was they'd managed to find the front fog light button. Not a baseball cap in sight, middle aged lady.

If we are not careful with this we will end up
with asking Mark to generate a "Various Random Fog Light Rants
mega thread" Might not be a bad idea for all that
though we would fill up volumes I II & III pretty
quickly.

Same thought had occurred to me FiF
I never cease to be amazed at what people get up
to.

Apart from the misuse of the fog lights, the one that always gets me is when someone catches up with me in fog then overtakes because they think I'm going too slow. Immediately they realise how far ahead they can't see and are faced with two choices. Either slow down to about the speed I was doing anyway, or, in a desperate bid to not look stupid, shoot off into the gloom far too fast regardless. Probably with their eyes closed trusting to luck.

Amazing how many hesitate briefly then chose the latter.

Futile Foglamp Brigade - MarkyMarkD
I never cease to be amazed at what people get up
to.
Last night followed a Saxo home for what seemed like forever.
Clear night, damp roads & no street lights. OK so they
didn't want to go fast fair enough, but on dip the
whole way!
No opportunity to overtake until local knowledge gave a bit of
an edge. Would have been earlier opportunities but lack of visibility
prevented as too risky not knowing where the road goes.

I'm glad u mentioned this. This is the absolutely most irritating thing for me. Especially when ur in a strange part of the country and haven't a clue where the bends are - I've almost crashed a few times being caught by an unexpected bend while overtaking some geriatric pootler going 25 mph in the dark on DIPPED beams.
Futile Foglamp Brigade - Nortones2
madf: this is well OT but you reminded me of my rides from Keele to Buxton, along that road. Particularly the high spot of the ride, just past an army camp on the right, the steep hill up to and past the Roaches. My old Norton would be sent flat out up the hill, the aim being to get to the top in top! Never managed it: but maybe gave the wallabies a fright. Not much traffic then and easily disposed of. Dread to think what speed could be achieved now, on a suitable Ducati, if the run-in is still straight. Enough Pathe news for now....