How to get shot of scrap cars - Hugo {P}
Anyone care to share their experiences on this subject?

My most recent experience was my Pug 309 SRi, which was the victim of a hard rear end smash at 14 years old in 2001 and therefore written off, 80K miles.

Insurance valuation £600, which I received in full. I was going to sell it in a few months anyway.

Salvage value £0

Cost to get rid would have been £25 + VAT.

After advertising it for spares/breaking in the paper, I managed the following

Alloy wheels with poor but legal tyres £65
Windscreen for another car to get thru MOT £15
Salvaged battery, radio, bulbs, fuses etc
Rest of car taken for gearbox and other bits by garage £45

Total revenue to me £125

Earlier experience - A mini bought for £15 off a contact and dismantled in a street in Leicester, just to get rid of it!

Engine, box, driver's door £50
Bonnet £15
Passenger door £10
Boot £5
Daimler Mk 2 wheel and tyre on back seat (don't ask me why) £10
Other bits removed and boxed £10 the lot
Shell and wheels (tyres no good) removed FOC by breakers.

Total Revenue to me £100

Although it's getting harder to get rid of cars now, I would be interested to hear how people have managed it.

H

How to get shot of scrap cars - NitroBurner
Hugo:

Sounds like you're onto a good thing there - just make sure
HM IR domn't get wind of it!
How to get shot of scrap cars - Cliff Pope
You seem to have got it. Basically there are 2 ways, other than just paying up of course.
1) Do the dismantling yourself, and as you demonstrate, probably more than cover the final scrapping charge
2) Advertise the whole car free, buyer to remove. Cheap and easy if you don't want the bother of doing the work.

You may find that a scrapyard will take a totally stripped out shell cheaper, because there will be no environmental costs for them like draining fluids, removing rubber and plastic bits etc. You can bin the bits you don't want.
Finally you could cut up the shell yourself and put in in recycling skips a bit at a time. Free if you have the time!
How to get shot of scrap cars - A Dent{P}
I like this thread!. SHMBO would object to the steptoes back yard approach so I prefer to get rid of them at scrapyard minus one year with a full MOT. If I missed that boat i'd go for 2) above.
The other car I stripped was a Fiat Regata, which I bought for spares for a car I had.

I then stripped the car over a couple of days and the bare shell with the grotty doors, tailgate and a load of other scrap just thrown in there was removed FOC. The chap that came just took it up the road to a scrap yard half a mile away and got around £10 for it I believe.

Although buying the car and getting it home cost £75, I saved about £200 in spares (incuding tyres on the same size wheels!) and managed about £200 for the bits I didn't need. It turned out that the problem I was having in finding spares for this car was a common one!

After I sold my regata I then went about trying to get rid of all the bits left over that were piled up in the back of the garage, that I had kept just in case I needed them.

I think I sold a few more bits for around £60 or so, then advertised the remaining bits (including short engine - no head, gearbox, exhaust system, bonnet, bumpers, windows etc etc) for £25 to clear.

A couple of chaps who were into banger racing a regata turned up and thrust £30 into my hand insisting I kept the change. They didn't want the bumpers or the glass so those items got binned.

In total that car was worth about £450 to me in the end!

H
How to get shot of scrap cars - J Bonington Jagworth
"The chap that came just took it up the road to a scrap yard half a mile away and got around £10 for it I believe"

So why do they charge to take away a whole car, which presumably has more scrap value? Anyway, you seem to have cracked it!
How to get shot of scrap cars - matt35 {P}
Make sure you return the V document to Swansea -my daughter paid £30 to a garage in London to scrap her mini - she got parking fines for weeks afterwards.
Fortunately the Police sorted things out for her.
Matt35.
JBJ

Admittedly, this was a few years ago, but in any case, no work had to be done to the car, other than crush it I believe, so that is why they gave money for it. All petrol, oil, fluid and water had been drained when it was stripped. Even the tyres had been taken away. Basically I left the shell with a bit of upholstry and plastic trim inside, oh and not forgetting the seats.

Matt

Yes, all V5s etc returned to Swansea. This didn't stop them sending me a tax reminder reference the Pug though - seems it got lost in the post.

I simply returned it with a letter explaining the car had been scrapped and I heard no more.

H
How to get shot of scrap cars - Andrew Hamilton
I offered my last Bedford minibus to the fireman. They used them for practice sessions. Presumably vehicle in little pieces afterwards!
Like the idea of selling for spares. Will try that next time.
Firemen are a good at accepting cars.

I remember a Talbot Horizon they cut up in Leicestershire. I bought the engine and gearbox off them, the money went to buy refreshments for consumtion during exercises.

The great thing is that of you relieve it of a few bits and pieces beforehand, they can still use it!

Anyone got any other examples of recipients?

H
How to get shot of scrap cars - Jonathan {p}
ebay!

someone will buy anything on there.

J
How to get shot of scrap cars - Steve G
My brother sold is Written off Alfa for parts and ended up with more than he originally paid for pre-accident. He had phone calls for months asking for bits....
One problem was people asking for individual parts i.e a drivers seat. Do you sell just the one seat or wait for someone who will buy the whole interior ?? selling the interior with no drivers seat might be difficult.
Apart from that its a good money spinner (its why scrapyard owners are often multi-millionares I suppose).
Ebay would be a good idea and relatively cheap to advertise on.
How to get shot of scrap cars - Cliff Pope
I think the problem of what to keep, what to sell, depends on whether you see yourself as a car dismantler, and have plenty of storage space, or are just trying to get rid of an unwanted car but want to recoup the disposal cost and make a bit more.
How to get shot of scrap cars - pmh
Surely this guy has the eco friendly answer!

tinyurl.com/lu5g

pmh (was peter)
When we went to the Eden Project last week, we saw loads of cars used as canvasses for pop art style paintings.

There was even a double decker bus painted up!

Looking at them it seems that they first remove the engine and box and then let loose on it with a spray gun. They didn't look out of place.

H