BMW's and MPG - bigboyq
Hi all,

Very interested what MPG you get out of your 4 pot and 6 pot 3 series BMW.

Ideally on motorway driving?

Many thanks

Q
BMW's and MPG - AngryJonny
I get about 30mpg out of my 525i at 80mph on a level road. So I'd expect to get a little more out of a lighter 3-series.
BMW's and MPG - CM
In my old 3 series I used to get about 36mpg cruising at about 85-90
BMW's and MPG - T Lucas
I've just sold my brothers March 2000 323SE (2.5)with 76,000 miles and a manual 'box.Car driven quite hard,mixture of town and m'way a/c always on,computer reading for all those miles 31 MPG.He has replaced with 330 Diesel Sport,same journeys,same driving,41MPG,he wants the petrol car back!
BMW's and MPG - Burnout2
'99 328i auto - mid-20s or lower mpg around town (but it gets driven fairly enthusiastically). Surprisingly economical on the motorway, where the engine is barely ticking over at vaguely legal speeds - creeps over 30mpg. That little yellow light still blinks on a distressingly few number of miles after the last fill-up though. The valvetronic 4-pots are a fair bit better.
BMW's and MPG - Phoenicks
Just wondering why he wanted the Petrol over the diesel BMW? I heard the the 330 is great and quicker.
BMW's and MPG - tunacat
Me too - surely it's quicker except in 'from zero' acceleration? And although 41mpg doesn't sound too fantastic for "a diesel", what else would do 41mpg whilst providing similar performance?

Looking at it another way, 31mpg for a reasonably hard-driven 2.5 petrol in mixed driving is good, but if someone offered a device which gave over 32% more miles to the gallon AND better overtaking, you'd be seriously interested in considering it, wouldn't you?

Bigboyq, you don't specify whether you're only talking about petrol models (?)
BMW's and MPG - T Lucas
Bruv said he prefered the drive of the petrol,the instant go in any gear,no waiting for the engine room to put extra coal on.He is very unimpressed with 41MPG,rememebering that derv is more expensive than unleaded,he only went for the diesel because it was cheaper for company car tax,6 months in and about 12,000 miles,he wants the petrol one back!
A few quid short of £30,000 and a residual of about £10,000 in 3 years/80,000 miles makes for some quite expensive motoring,BMW are doing the routine servicing FOC,so some saving there.
BMW's and MPG - dilbert
I've had my 2000 323(also 2.5 litre)for nearly 3 years. I use it mostly for short journeys and around town and consistently get 30-31 mpg. I'd be confident to easily reach mid 30s on a longer journey.

Are you asking this question becuase you're thinking of buying?
BMW's and MPG - Pugugly {P}
330d around 40 to 45 mpg real world rural/town driving.
530d not too far behind at around 40mpg, but its still pretty tight and will probably improve.
BMW's and MPG - bigboyq
Thanks for the input,

The decison is on price, I do not want to spend to much on a car. Since the milage i do, i will lose loads on deperciation.

I wanted to go for a 6 pott, due its ability to handle millage better than an 4 pott.

The other option would have been an passat TDI, but I would prefer an 323, and just wanted to know that the 13ppm would cover the petrol of the car.

Thanks again

Q