306 TD Water in Fuel Filter Warning - KingUz
I have a 306 1.9TD, 1996.

Recently I have noticd that the Water in Fuel Filter warning light keeps popping up.Its never always on, but every now and then it lights up, and might be on all day long, other days nothing happens.

I have had the car serviced after this started happening, fuel filter was replced in the service but the same light keeps popping on every now and then. Just wondering is this something to worry about? Could it be the synthetic oil I am using? Catstrol GDT Magnatec 10w-40w?

Any help appreciated.
306 TD Water in Fuel Filter Warning - Vaughan
Have you tried draining the water to see if there's any in there? Where the fuel filter is located, there is a drain screw on the bottom of the housing with a plastic tube hanging down from it. Unscrew the drain screw and you may see water come out.

Failing that, all I can recommend is perhaps a dewatering additive to your fuel when you next fill up.
306 TD Water in Fuel Filter Warning - DL
If there is no water in the filter housing (Which I would hope not as the filter has been changed, the housing should have been drained at the same time aswell) then it's safe to assume the water sensor is at fault.

A fairly common fault, easily cured by disconnection of the sensor which uses a single multiplug connection at approx 1 o'clock on the base of the filter housing.

....or you could replace the sensor......£70-ish!
306 TD Water in Fuel Filter Warning - solara
I usually get the same problem, after I add diesel fuel additive to the fuel. Must affect the conductivity of the fuel, hence the intermiittent warning light.

I have owned my car for nearly 7 years, and serviced it myself, and have never found the fuel filter to contain water.
306 TD Water in Fuel Filter Warning - Bromptonaut
This light is present on some but by no means all PSA XUD engined cars. My 205 had one, constantly lit and plug eventually pulled. BX goes without. No problem either car in a cumulative 200k miles. Anyone found it a lifesaver?