Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Dwight Van-Driver
Reported today in the The Sunday Times Motoring Section:

New rules provide for a standard, mandatory font (typeface) to be used on all plates, new and OLD. Although the existing regulations stipulate the size and spacing of the figures, there has been no rule preventing the use of unusual fonts. FROM SATURDAY 1 ST SEPTEMBER 2001, if your number plate is not in the standard font (or something very similar) you risk prosecution.

Please don't blame white top and jam sandwich if he stops you ---- he doesnt make these laws but paid by you to enforce them......
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Michael
i thought existing number plates were subject to rules regarding font, spacing, etc, (even though they were ignored by many)?
Number Plate Font & Size Change - David Lacey
I thought there were enforceable regulations now, but from Sept 1st 2001, they appear to be clamping down hard.

These 'custom' plates seen around are nothing short of ridiculous.

How are these to be read (or not!) by Gatso Cameras and the general public?

The new style font is slightly smaller and more compact (I'm sure you've all seen them by now)
Many motorists have upgraded their existing 'old' style plates to the new ones.
Needless to say, my number plate man has been busy this month!

We have been making new plates for cars for 1st Sept. They look real strange!

Rgds

David
Number Plates - David Lacey
Peter - well said! You just beat me to post the detail from INS143!

Rgds

David
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - peter todd
the way I read the flyer with the ved renewal- all plates from 1st sep both for new vehicles & replacment plates must be in new format- existing plates if they are legal to pre 1st sept regs will be ok-
Re: Veh Reg Plates - only to new onesyou have been - Peter Gabbott
To avoid any misunderstanding from today's article I quote DVLA INS143 (currently issued with licence reminders): ''The change will apply to the plates of vehicles issued from that date (1st Sept) and to all replacement plates issued from that date''. So -existing plates are unaffected but you are not going to be able to renew them with 'customised' fonts and spacings. Look after them!
Re: Number Plates - Andy
I don't care what my plate looks like, as long as I can have a Union Flag instead of that darned advert for the piggin' EU !
We can't, though. Just another example of oppression from the land of petty, interfering jobsworths. (Blood boils)
Re: Number Plates - Colin M
On the other hand, it was always easier to remember some of those distorted plates as a word and then easy enough to reconstruct the original number in the event W4NKR was involved in a hot and run or something. (Apologies to true owner of that plate!)

Colin
Re: Number Plates - Dishonest Pete
W4 NKR does not exist. Probably 'cos it's rude.

Neither does P155 OFF - I wanted that one, but it's banned :o(
Re: Number Plates - Jonathan
You may remember that family who appeared on Channel 4 - the ones who simply couldnt live without designer gear.. Terrible shame really.

Anyway they have two very nice cars, 1 has the reg no of PII SSD

I think that that comes close.
Re: Number Plates - Paul Mildren
P155 OFF does exist - it was on Victor Meldrew's car in the last series.
Re: Number Plates - Hedley
The best one that got through in this country that I have seen is PEN15 :)

I saw it at santa pod years ago and I also saw it on a car programme on tv once.

I lived in the states for a while where the options for license plates are much broader, and MUCH cheaper!
I could have had CAR 4 HED On my RX7, (for $75) normally it would have been considered too rude but as it was an abbreviation of my real name, I could have registered it :)

Hedley
Re: Number Plates - jonbenj
Re PEN15. I think it belongs to Steve Parish: Ex motorcycle racer, commentator, truck racer and prankster. He also introduced claims to have introduced this country to the dubious delights of remote controlled fart machines.
Best plate I've seen recently is M1NCE, belonging to local butcher.
Re: Number Plates - Hedley
M1NCE??

Are you sure that is not michael barrymore's car? :)
Re: Number Plates - Brian
The most appropriate one I have seen recently was 5 AXO on a Saxo
Re: Number Plates - Dishonest Pete
I think P AXO would be appropriate, cos if you buy one you are stuffed!
Re: Number Plates - Brian
Only if you are a bird, as the driver of this one was !
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Tom Shaw
I have heard it will also be illegal to have a slogan on the plate, ie "Well driven? freephone 0800 B*ll**ks"
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Vin
PEN15 is owned by Steve Parrish, the motorcycle racer, commentator and general p*sstaker.
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Colin
Seems to me that when one sees a ridiculously distorted plates its indicative of a very sad owner.

But the best I can recall (undistorted) was SXE2, owned then by the late Diana Dors and her equally late husband Alan Lake. Wonder who has it now?
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Marc
What about black and white pre 73 plates - do they have to be in the new font also?
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Bob Jeffery
There used to be a van in the Brentwood (Essex) area about 25 years ago with the reg. GUM 801 L (GUMBOIL). I recently saw Y WAIT and GILTY on the M6 which I thought were amusing.
I note also that the reg companies are already advertising new plates for sale, such as AR51NEL which seems surprising due to the proposed clampdown in tampering with the format.
Re: Veh Reg Plates - you have been warned. - Bill Doodson
I spotted the reg plate that I want on a white E type in about 1975 in a pub car park in Birkenhead, it was WD 69. I then saw it come up in either the Telegraph or Times motoring section in the late 80s but 20K even with the I think Beemer it was then with was about 19.5K too much.

No mumbers this week either. Oh well.

Bill