Carpet Removal - Pug 306 - novicejon
Dear Backroomers,

With all your extensive knowledge of all things motoring could you please provide some help on lifting the carpet up on a 306, I need to get a few wires down the length of the car and so far I am not clear on how to do it.

Secondly my key fob is going through batteries a little too quickly. I bought two new lithium batteries for it on Saturday and by this morning they were both dead, I\'m guessing this isn\'t the normal standard! Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks very much
Carpet Removal - Andrew-T
nj - on a Peugeot the method is usually to pull off the door weatherstrip (look for the join at the bottom), and the outside edges of carpet are held round the door openings by clips which can be prised off with (e.g.) a screwdriver. If you are simply running a wire you should not need to do any more than this. Then just bang everything back in place afterwards.
Carpet Removal - IanT
On the subject of your keyfob batteries ...

I'm assuming you've got the two button key, where you press one button to lock the doors and the other button to set deadlocks, alarm and immobiliser.

Maybe one of the key's buttons is sticking down. Perhaps not sticking down all the time, but intermittently switching on and off in your pocket.

This could be the fault of one of the microswitches on the circuit board - not much you can reasonably do about that, apart from getting a new circuit board for your key. (You could try spraying the microswitches with a solvent, but I'm not taking any responsibility if that makes things worse!)

Or one of the plastic buttons on the key cover could be distorted and pressing down on the microswitch. You can test this possibility by opening the key, taking out the circuit board and using it separately from the key - it will work perfectly well in this condition.

Or it could be a circuit board fault not related to the switches - once again requiring a trip to Peugeot for a new circuit board.

Unfortunately, you cannot choose not to fix the key. You must have one key with working electronics if you ever disconnect the battery, or you will not be able to turn off the alarm when the battery is reconnected - even using the master underbonnet alarm switch.

New CR2025 batteries are available for £1.29 (for two) +£0.95 p&p from www.7dayshop.com - compare that with Peugeot's prices!

Ian
Carpet Removal - novicejon
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was pretty sure that was how the carpet was removed but didn't want to go about it without clarification. Thanks for that.

As regards the key fob, I only bought the car five days ago and so I took it back to the dealer and they are sorting it out for me. Probably getting a new one from Peugeot.

Once again thanks

Jon
Carpet Removal - IanT
Hope your dealer does a good job, Jon. Let us know how you get on.

For completeness, and in case you have more problems in the future, I'll just add ...

It's possible that the batteries aren't flat, and the keyfob isn't working because of bad contacts. The batteries are held in place by a small springy clip which forms one of the electrical contacts. This clip is a bit brittle. It can distort (so the batteries aren't properly held in place), or it can break off (with obvious results).

Ian