volvo s60/v70 - HJ's road test - eMBe {P}
I found HJ's latest road test on the volvo s60/v70
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=89
made very intersting reading, especially the technical progress that seems to be making "driving" idiot-proof/fool-proof.

I was also intrigued by all the services that the Volvo-on-call system provides, but was puzzled by the statement:
"If you lock your keys in the car you can call the centre, provide a code and the centre will remotely unlock your car."

How on earth would you manage to lock your keys in these Volvo cars nowadays? I thought modern cars were incapable of being locked off in that manner. Can anyone enlighten me?
volvo s60/v70 - HJ's road test - Canon Fodder

How about.....you get out, lock the car, go to walk away then think - no, actually I'll check the oil. Unlock the car, release the bonnet, lock the car again, go round to the front, open the bonnet, put keys down on the battery, check oil, slam bonnet shut......punch self repeatedly in face.

This was some years ago in an Alfa Guilietta - maybe manufacturers have closed that particular stupidity loophole.

CF.
volvo s60/v70 - HJ's road test - RichardW
A friend locked the keys to another friend's 2001 A4 in the boot - open boot using boot release button on key fob, put keys down in boot, slam boot - sounds like a design flaw to me! Oops. Took the RAC 3 hours to get them out, and it involved bridging the ignition out under the car, taking the back seat out, and bridging out the power supply to the boot lock. Don't try that at home children......

RichardW

volvo s60/v70 - HJ's road test - Canon Fodder

Oh God no Richard, really?- that's way too easy. I can hardly belive that the boot would lock itself in that situation.

I wouldn't last a week without doing that.

I always hated those key fob thingies, just another electrical gizmo to get old gits like me into trouble.

CF
volvo s60/v70 - HJ's road test - Steve S
Mostly by locking them in the boot!

You approach car, unlock the boot by the fob without remembering to also unlock the rest of the car, put keys down in the boot while attending to contents, slam boot shut. OOOOps!