Golf Mk2 clutch slip - ajwhitehead
The clutch is slipping in 4th/5th if revved too hard, on my 1.6 Golf mk2 at 83k; could anyone help with the following questions?

- Is this reasonable mileage for clutch? (Town car for first 60k, motorway for last 20k)

- The clutch pedal seems to have a very long action. Could this cause excess clutch wear if the pedal is not fully depressed to the floor for each change, even if it feels like it is changing cleanly?

- Is a clutch replacement a Haynes job (i.e. to save £200+ labour)?

- Mechanic reckons he wouldn't take it on a long trip but might be OK around town for a few weeks. Anyone got any experience re: how long a slipping clutch will last?

Thanks very much
Golf Mk2 clutch slip - RichardW
- Is this reasonable mileage for clutch? (Town car for first
60k, motorway for last 20k)

Sounds OK - anyway it\'s knackered, so it\'s not like you have a choice! A \'bad\' driver can ruin a clutch in very few miles.
- The clutch pedal seems to have a very long action.
Could this cause excess clutch wear if the pedal is not
fully depressed to the floor for each change, even if it
feels like it is changing cleanly?

If the clutch is not disengaged the \'box will graunch, so you are pressing it down enough. \'Riding\' the clutch will ruin it much faster. If it seems long, might be worth checking it doesn\'t just need adjusting (if possible!) before plumping for taking the \'box out!
- Is a clutch replacement a Haynes job (i.e. to save
£200 labour)?

It will be described in Haynes. It\'s not a beginner\'s job though, as you will (probably) have to take the gear box out. Actually changing the clutch itself takes about 10 minutes - it\'s just getting to it that takes the time!
- Mechanic reckons he wouldn\'t take it on a long trip
but might be OK around town for a few weeks. Anyone
got any experience re: how long a slipping clutch will last?

No experience, but if it\'s only slipping under heavy load should be OK for a while round town -and then it\'s only a short tow to the garage if it gives out totally.

RichardW

Golf Mk2 clutch slip - GGH
There is a clutch arm stop lug cast on the outside of the gearbox casing. If the clutch actuating arm rests on this lug it means the clutch lining is worn out. Mr. Clutch company have always done a good job on the wife's car. Their clutch has survived 5+ years of her gear changing!!!

Golf Mk2 clutch slip - cholin
Bought my Golf with 120,000 on the clock and excessive clutch pedal travel. Hadn't had it long before slipping set in, it went for quite a while in this state then suddenly packed up completely. It didn't appear to get progressively worse just went. Consulted my Haynes and decided it wasn't worth the hassle though it could be easier than tne book makes it.
Man came and towed it away came back with pedal travel restored to civilised limits and a clutch plate that was an exhibition piece, the lining was unbelievably thin and missing in places. £240 all in.
Advice, don't go to far from home before it's fixed.