suzuki jimny - ka razy
just bought a new Suzuki Jimny,which on the whole i'm happy with..it does what it says on the tin..however the gears are really hard to engage,just wondered if this is normal for a new car(its only covered 500 miles)going back to the dealer on tuesday to be checked out...can anyone advise...
suzuki jimny - Mondaywoe
Sorry, don't know a thing about Suzukis, but my guess would be that there is something amiss.Could be gear linkage, gearbox itself or a clutch problem.

I had a similar experience (over 20 years ago!) when I traded up (!!!???)from an old Mini to a brand new Clubman! Right from day one the gears were incredibly stiff and second just wasn't happy about going in at all.

I went back to the dealer and to my amazement he didn't say 'it's just stiff being new, it will slacken out'. Instead, he took the car back for a week, dismantled the gearbox and fitted new synchromesh. That cured the fault and I had a 'courtesy' car in the shape of an Allegro for the week.(Embarrassing or what?)

The dealer did say, however, that gear stiffness in a new car is a fault - gearboxes don't 'bed in' like an engine.

Good luck.

Graeme

suzuki jimny - sean
Have none of it mate. You go and trade it in and they\'ll soon tell you the gears are stiff and we\'ll have to knock a bit off the value.

What I\'d do is go and try another 1 or 2 either where you bought yours or at another place. They will have low mileage demonstrators.

They have them at the supersites, you know.

That will soon tell you whether it\'s normal.I suspect that it\'s not.
suzuki jimny - Jaytee
Had the same problem when I bought my Jimny. The whole gear box seemed notchy in all gears, but 2nd was the worst. Took it back to the dealer who agreed it wasn't quite right. They changed the gearbox oil to a Mobil brand and the difference was incredible. Now, there's nothing at all wrong with the gear change and all is sweet. As the old oil drained from the gearbox, it really stank with a sulphurous/fishy smell. Learning from this, I had all the axles and transfer box oils changed too. Hope this helps.
suzuki jimny - ka razy
Thanks for your comments,hsd the car back to the dealer today,who claimed it was driving fine....now taking legal advice.... New Suzuki owners beware
suzuki jimny - Mondaywoe
Might be worth getting a second opinion from another Suzuki dealer?

Good luck!

Graeme
suzuki jimny - ka razy
Yes,might well do at the weekend,just didnt like the attitude,had three attempts to get it into reverse tonight..resulting in a crunch..driven a few of these recently..none of them seemed remotely like mine gear wise..
suzuki jimny - sean
Well, your question is answered really, isn't it?

Don't clock any more mileage up. Reject it. Leave it with the dealer and buy another one, mate.

I'm a biker as well as driver.

Do you think the average Suzuki motorcycle buyer would be as patient as you?

Thought not.