Squeal when braking? - HF
After driving around much of this afternoon wondering why so many cars around me were making funny noises, I finally realised it was mine.

As far as I've sussed out, there is a squealing noise that only seems to happen when I'm driving slowly, downhill, and applying the brakes. And not every time either.

Please, someone, tell me this is not something to worry about! Having just had the MOT done at some condsidderable cost, buying my tax today, and knowing that insurance is due on Sunday, I don't think I could cope with knowing there's yet another thing going wrong!
HF
Squeal when braking? - Dynamic Dave
It's more than likely a just a build up of brake dust HF, due to the dry spell of weather we've recently had!! Also I believe by your short journeys you do in your Astra with probably very little heavy braking involved.

First thing I would try is getting out the hosepipe and directing the water onto the brake calipers to wash out all the dust. Then take it for a drive to dry out the brakes afterwards.

At worst it could be a partially siezed brake caliper, but hopefully it's just the dust that's causing the problem. It can happen a lot on cars that have drivers that only ever lightly brake.
Thanks D. Erm - I don't suppose you could tell me where the brake calipers are, could you please?

HF
Squeal when braking? - David Lacey
In behind the front wheels - just direct the hose pipe there through any holes in the wheels and the black dust will wash out.

Be sure to drive straightaway afterwards to dry the brakes, preventing rust forming. Beware the brake will not be as effective as before until they dry out..
Squeal when braking? - xylophone
My Audi avant, 140,000 has been serviced throughout by a main dealer, but recently, for the first time, I had Mintex front discs and pads fitted by a local garage. I have never used Mintex before,
At first, the brakes squealed a lot and regularly, so the garage replaced the pads with a softer kind, and now the squeaking is much less, but it is still there.
I do a lot of driving, particularly on motorways, but I am a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), and try to use the brakes less and never hard.
Next time round, I will revert to Audi discs and pads. The Mintex do not perform as well, they take longer to bite and seem to require more pedal pressure.
Thanks David, will give it a go - and thanks for the warning!
Just to say (because I know how annoying it must be not to get feedback here!) the noise hasn't happened again.

So thanks very much to Dave and David.