Astra gearbox oil - sajid
I have a astra 94 1.4i, sometimes ago i changed the oil and filter, when asked if the gearbox oil needs topping up, i was told it that the gearbox is sealed and no oil needs changing.

Are astra`s gearboxes the sealed type like batteries??
The car sometimes is balky when changing do you think it might be needing gearbox oil?
Astra gearbox oil - Malcolm_L
Sajid,
refer to the Gearbox oil thread on this page, after 9 years it won't do the gearbox any harm providing you don't overfill - however it's not guaranteed to cure baulky changes as these could be down to worn components in the clutch or selector mechanism as well as the gearbox.

Best of luck
Astra gearbox oil - Victorbox
I agree that the rods and linkages that connect the gear stick to the gearbox could benefit from a dose of WD40. Go for all the linkages you can see in engine bay. Do it several times over several weeks and you could feel quite a difference.
Astra gearbox oil - Dynamic Dave
i was told it that the gearbox is sealed and
no oil needs changing.

Who told you that? There is a level plug on the side of the gearbox (usually on the nearside, by the inner CV joint - but check Haynes manual for confirmation as can be at the back of the gearbox instead) You need to remove this plug (you might get a little bit of oil dispersal but this is normal) Remove the filler plug on top of the gearbox (again refer to Haynes for location and picture) and pour in some gearbox oil of the correct grade until it seeps out the level plughole. Then refit both plugs, first remembering to wipe any swarf off of the magnet that is attached to the level plug. Although when you remove the level plug and a certain amount of oil seeps out - giving the impression the gearbox is full of oil, I was told by a Vaux mechanic that you still need to pour some in at each service as it gives the differential a good coating of oil that would normally only get a splashing from the rotating gears.

If you want to change the gearbox oil, there is no drain plug. You have to remove the gearbox sump.
Astra gearbox oil - martint123
Hint - check you can remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug. Some of these are tapered steel plugs into an alloy casting and can be the devil to remove. Once you've drained it, then it's not so easy to drive to a garage for help to remove the filler.
Hint - check you can remove the filler plug before you
remove the drain plug.

As mentioned in my previous post. There is no drain plug, you have to remove the gearbox sump to drain.
Astra gearbox oil - sajid
Dave what kind of oil does vauxhall recommend, how much would i have to top up??how often does it need changing.
Dave what kind of oil does vauxhall recommend,

Off the top of my head, I think it's hypoid 90, but the handbook should specify the correct oil.
how much would i have to top up??

From previous experience of when I had manual boxes (I tend to drive auto's now) very little is needed if there are no leaks. Less than 50ml I would say.
how often does it need changing.

IIRC, Vauxhall don't actually specify an interval for gearbox oil. If it looks clean (it should resemble the colour of the drink Ribena) then it's generally fine. If the car has had a hard life; ie, towing, short journeys, Miss Marple driving, ect, then for the sake of a few £££ change it.
Astra gearbox oil - Hawesy1982
In agreement with all the above comments, i recently had a gearchange problem on my 306, due to a combination of stiff gear linkages and leaking gearbox oil. I can't say which gave the biggest problem as i fixed both at the same time, but i would definitely recommend a quick spray and grease to the gear linkages - it only takes 5 minutes and if it works makes driving much more pleasant.
Astra gearbox oil - martint123
As mentioned in my previous post. There is no drain plug, you have to remove the gearbox sump to drain.

Sorry, replied to wrong thread! - should have been the other gearbox oil one :- www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=13...4