Oil In VW Intercooler - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Giving my Passat PDI the once over check after dealer servicing at 29,000 miles , I noticed a coating of engine oil and muck where the top hose enters the intercooler and on the adjacent chassis leg.I assume that an oil mist had leaked out at the hose joint.
The vehicle is within warranty and is being returned for inspection.
Is the turbocharger failing or is it acceptable for some oil to get into the pressure side of the turbocarging circuit?
Oil In VW Intercooler - David Lacey
It's totally normal; please don't let it bother you - I'm sure others will agree.
Oil In VW Intercooler - bertj
Yes, these pipes get filthy with oil mist.
I eventually got my car seen to by the VW dealer.
After several abortive attempts to understand my problem , the technician said they all do that. Even if a new seal was fitted.
It was even suggested that it was a good idea if the surplus oil leaked out. Also a rust preventative for the chassis.
You get the idea of the level of conversation.
The leakage is just an occasional drip but it could eventually contaminate the bottom radiator hoses.
Just wiping the area as was suggested makes good business for dry cleaners, as it is a bit of a stretch to the top of the intercooler.
Should I try a DIY sealing job?
Oil In VW Intercooler - Cyd
BTW: if oil can get out at the pipe junctions, so can air and you'll be loosing boost. Plumbers PTFE tape is good for this.
Oil In VW Intercooler - Cyd
take a look at my post in this thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=59...8

I would suggest if you've got residue in the cooler then it's going to be worse in the compressor itself.
Oil In VW Intercooler - Nortones2
This link to Freds may gve some explanation of the cause of oil in the intercooler: www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#f. Also, how to clean it out! And, if you'r courage permits, how to cunningly redirect the EGR pipwork. Site also talks about MAF "failures": often just cleaning said to get rid of contamination.
Oil In VW Intercooler - David Lacey
Fred's site has to be the best Diesel car related site on the net - I've watched it fill up with excellent content over the last 4 years or so. Seems the Americans are getting the TDi 'bug'!
Oil In VW Intercooler - Group B
GWS - Did you get any noticeable improvement after getting the intercooler cleaned out?

On my Saab TiD the inside of the big hose from the I/C to the engine is coated with thick black gunk too. So the inside of the I/C must be coated in it and could be reducing efficiency.

Has anyone else on here had a go at cleaning theirs out?

cheers,

Rich.
I never had the intercooler cleaned out. Oil still drips from the pipework and I wipe it occasionally. The various sites show how to do it but it involves removing the body work.
I suspect the cooling efficiency has droppped, the mpg being around 42 mpg overall.However the actual performance is fine. Mileage is now 96,000.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.