VW Golf MK3 - Bad Vibration at 2200 rpm - Kim Parsons
I have a MK3 VW Golf. It is a great little car with lots of life ?.but the engines induces a nasty vibration as it moves through 2200 rpm. I believe it is a "feature" of Golfs. I had a Mark 1 years ago that did the same. This one however is much more annoying. Is there a fix? Does anyone know what the cause is?
RE: VW Golf MK3 - Bad Vibration at 2200 rpm - Roger Jones
I have a Mk III VR6 Highline. Even with the different engine there is a distinctly noisy phase between 2000 and 2500 rpm, but not so noisy as to be seriously annoying, so I have chosen to live with it.
RE: VW Golf MK3 - Bad Vibration at 2200 rpm - Ian Morgan
I have had a similar sounding problem on my Mk 2 Golf GTi - at exactly 2600 rpm a tinny vibration would come from the engine bay, this was independent of roadspeed and happened at 2600 rpm in any gear. When stationary with somebody in the car holding the rpm at 2600 I carefully investigated the vibration and found that an exhaust heatshield surrounding the downpipe (as the downpipe passes the steering rack) had cracked and was resonating at 2600 rpm. I removed the heatshield (3 bolts), welded the crack up, refitted it and problem gone......
RE: VW Golf MK3 - Bad Vibration at 2200 rpm - Kim Parsons
Good tip. I'll have a look and check it out. Many thanks

Kim Parsons
RE: VW Golf MK3 - Bad Vibration at 2200 rpm - Jaap Van Der pijl
We had exactly the same problem with a 1989 passat 1800. ( same engine)