Overpriced? Hmm... - DavidHM
I'm not considering buying this of course, but I saw this at a Renault franchise dealer today.

02 Vel Satis (didn't get the spec or mileage but I'm assuming 3.0 dci Privilège), £31255!

Eh!?! You could get a new E270 CDi Elegance or 530d SE for that. I'm now wondering what they paid for it and what people on here would actually give for this car. (Ideally more than the price of a cab fare).

I reckon £16k would just about shift it - whether that would be discount or the price paid is hard to say...
Overpriced? Hmm... - harryhammer
Was this a new vehicle or a demo ?
The OTR price of a Initiale 3.5V6 Auto is £30,855.00
1 year old, I'm guessing ex Renault UK head office car.
I said Privilège, I meant Initiale in my first post. Sorry.
This seems very expensive although it could have all the bells and whistles including DVD ?
Overpriced? Hmm... - Andrew-T
Maybe the price is in Euros?
Overpriced? Hmm... - Altea Ego
If you load up the top priced model (intiale v6 24v auto )with every extra available ( and i mean everything - including rear DVD player) it comes out at £35210 list new. No extra however can make the car look beautiful - its one ugly beast
Overpriced? Hmm... - Rojer
If you load up the top priced model (intiale v6 24v
auto )with every extra available ( and i mean everything -
including rear DVD player) it comes out at £35210 list new.
No extra however can make the car look beautiful - its
one ugly beast

.. But it still wontr be a Merc
Overpriced? Hmm... - Thommo
If you fly to Luxembourg ALL the hire cars in the car park are Vel Satis(es?). Wierd sight as you exit the terminal and see them all sitting there. Never hired a car there myself but I am told that whatever you hire budget/compact/whatever you get a Vel Satis (free upgrade sir). This would suggest to me that Renault dumped them at a price that the hire companies could not refuse...
It may be ugly, but the 3.0V6 diesel is a very good drive and the rear seats must be the most comfortable in the market
Overpriced? Hmm... - peterb
It's a shame that they botched the final design.

On the Champs-Elysees, there's a Renault showroom with a load of concept cars. The Vel Satis concept (IIRC a coupe) looks really good.
Overpriced? Hmm... - thebouncingbunny
it will probably be worth only half that by the time it needs taxing!lighting fags with tenners would be cheaper even for dot cotton!
Overpriced? Hmm... - Gen
Am I the only one who finds the vel satis, megane etc etc attractive? Not that I'm saying I'd buy the car in question...
Overpriced? Hmm... - Rob the Bus {P}
Hang on to your hat, Gen - I agree with you!!! Blimey, that's twice this year! ;-) I, too, think that the Vel Satis and Megane are extremely good looking cars. They look like nothing else on the road and in an age when everything looks the same, it is very refreshing to have such individualistic cars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Megane if I were a rich man (yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yum!). Erm...sorry about that.

Rob
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Overpriced? Hmm... - Altea Ego
Funny that - I quite like the Megane, but think the Vel Satis is ugly, its probably due to size, the concept doesnt scale up in my eyes (tho i dont mind the new Espace) On the whole I think Renault should be praised for at least trying to be different, and designing new concepts (even if they cant build them properly)
Overpriced? Hmm... - Gen
Some support...great...I too wish I had 30k for a car but there you go...

I think these are cars that people really chose to buy, and I like that. They are like a face that isn't traditionally beautiful but grows on you. And I like that advert for the big backside...

Overpriced? Hmm... - Rob the Bus {P}
>>And I like that advert for the big backside...

Ooooooh yes. I am reliably informed that my eyes glaze over and I dribble slightly whenever that ad comes on...

Rob

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
Overpriced? Hmm... - andymc {P}
Funny, I actually liked the look (if not much else) of the Avantime. If they'd designed it properly, ie as a posh MPV with room for five, then I think it could have succeeded. Not as keen on the Megane or the Vel Satis.
andymc
Gen

I have to agree the new megane is a smashing looking car. With the 1.9dci engine its a cracking drive too.

Have you seen the sport tourer, sports saloon and coupe/cabrio versions ! They are not as eye catching, but I think they will be very popular.