What gets your goat ? - AR-CoolC
Its another day at the office, but the boss has given himself a day off so lets start a new thread just for the sake of it.

So.... What gets your goat.What makes you mad, even though it makes no difference to your life in any way at all.

e.g.
People who own cabriolets but drive around on a sunny day with the roof up.
People who call Reliant Robins, Robin Reliants.

This should be fun !!
What gets your goat ? - jonesy127 {P}
Ooh I hate that \'Robin Reliant\' thing!!

I know it\'s not motoring related, and it\'s certainly extremely pointless, but apostrophes. For goodness sake, it can\'t be that difficult, can it? They are NOT for indicating a plural!!!

AAGHH!!!
I also hate text tags on forums that don\'t work properly...

Oh actually they work fine, but you typed i/ instead of /i - I corrected it. M.
What gets your goat ? - Alfafan {P}
People who indicate left when they're going straight on at a mini roundabout where there's only a right turn. i.e a 3-road roundabout.

People who don't know how a roundabout works. They have no idea who has priority.

I bet I'll think of a lot more as the day wears on... :-)
Or even worse the people who indicate right when they're going staight on.
What gets your goat ? - Ian (Cape Town)
People who drive into junctions KNOWING they won't be able to get out again before the light turns red, thus making the 'cross towners' sit for the next light change...
addendum: People who sit and hoot at me, because I won't drive into junctions, knowing etc etc etc...
People who drive in rainy/misty/overcast weather with no lights on, when they can SEE 95% of other vehicles are lit up ...
Anyone who deems it necessary to where a hat whilst driving (Her Majesty's finest not included, natch)
What gets your goat ? - Nsar
Where the apostrophe is placed indicates whether it's singular or plural. It's not motoring but getting it wrong does get my goat.
What gets your goat ? - THe Growler
>>Where the apostrophe is placed indicates whether it's singular or plural>>.

Oh dear, class, can't we get that one right yet?

Singular: My car. Plural: My cars. Singular possessive: My car's engine. Plural Possessive: My cars' engines.

I do especially wish you boys would pay attention to your singulars and plurals.

An apostrophe is often used to abbreviate "It is". Thus "It's the turbo". But NEVER - pay attention Jones Minor and the rest of you: "Its the turbo".

An apostrophe may also be used when the third person singular is being used in the possessive, for example: "It's blown up" ("It HAS blown up").

We also find the apostrophe used vulgarly as a means of abbreviating long words when, for example, posting on motoring fora (never "forUMS", please, always use the correct Latin). Thus "gov't" and "int'l" are frequently encountered.

As for driving, the thing that always gets my goat is the vehicle in front of me.

"Oh dear, class, can't we get that one right yet?"

That was kind of the point of my post Growler, but thank you for your examples all the same. Anyway I won't go on,I hear the footsteps of the moderator and I can't think of a motoring link here. Perhaps we can all go and have a good old bicker in I've got a question vol. whatever it is

Drivers with goatees, they get mine - is that good enough?
What gets your goat ? - DavidHM
I think, I hope at least, that Nsar is annoyed by people who write about my car's engines when they mean several cars (I guess it could be one of those wacky 2-engined TTs and Golfs people occasionally build) or, worse, my cars' engine, which suggests an unhealthy fondness for engine hoists...
What gets your goat ? - Ian (Cape Town)
always use the correct Latin).

Romanes eunt domus, perhaps?

members.chello.se/hansdotter/romanes.html
What gets your goat ? - Hairy Hat Man
Very nicely put Growler.
In addition, incorrect use of there/their/they're and your/you're.

Don't they teach english grammer in schools these days?
er.....it's grammAr. Dorry to be a bore >:)
Growler...5 letters, starts with I, ends with Y
What gets your goat ? - NorthernKev {P}
I also believe that if the singular form of a noun has more than than one syllable, the apostrophe appears but the second 's' does not. Hence:

James has a car, it's James's car.
Jess has a car, it's Jess's car.
Thomas has a car, it's Thomas' car

And so on...

I too am saddened by the state of spellings in our country.
At work today for that matter I noticed a sign saying 'make sure boxes are clear OFF labels'. ARGHHHH.

Thinking about it, should toilets say 'gent's' or 'gents''?

Kev
Apostrophes and apoplexy - THe Growler
<<< In addition, incorrect use of there/their/they're and your/you're.

<<< I also believe that if the singular form of a noun has more than than one syllable, the apostrophe appears but the second 's' does not.

Thank you to my fellow contributors for adding further value to this discussion. I agree fully.

As for "Gents" and "Ladies", while I am not aware there is any standard for this, I would say no apostrophe is required, hazarding instead that these are simply a form of signpost designed to point the respective gender in the appropriate direction. (Please, no jokes about pointing and respective directions, although judging by the state of some of the UK motorway service stations' restrooms I've been in, some help in this direction for the less cerbrally endowed might not go amiss).

What gets your goat ? - andymc {P}
For goodness' sake, indeed. ;)
People who don't capitalise names... :-P

Back to motoring, people who indicate when they can only go one way.
People on motorways who speed up and slow down, they zoom past you then slow down infront of you, so you overtake at the exact moment they speed up again, grr!
Anyone who doesn't drive a car... ;-)

Kev
What gets your goat ? - andymc {P}
Northern pedants whose names rhyme with Bev... :-P :-P ;D
What gets your goat ? - Bilgewater
The people in my street who have got driveways and can't be bothered to park their cars in them. Thus turning the street into a giant chicane.
What gets your goat ? - Bilgewater
People who live less than half a mile from the school, but insist on taking their offspring to school in the car. (very often a whacking great offroader).
What gets your goat ? - CM
People who think that a two lane roundabout gives them the right to cut me up.

People behind me who undertake me on a m'way to cut in front of me taking up the gap that I have left between me and the car in front.

(non motoring, "should OF" when it should be "should HAVE" or "should'VE")
People behind me who undertake me on a m'way to cut
in front of me taking up the gap that I have
left between me and the car in front.

If you're being undertaken, doesn't that indicate there's a large enough gap in lane 1 for you to be occupying?
What gets your goat ? - peterb
People who drive at 40 mph irrespective of whether the limit is 30, 40, 50, or 60 mph.

BTW I stongly agree about the misuse of apostrophe's*

Peter

* Sorry. Couldn't resist!
Hard of hearing teenagers, baseball cap on, collar up, who have to have their windows down and their volume up. If you’re that hot, you should’ve bought a Saxo VTR with air con!!
>> People behind me who undertake me on a m'way to
cut
>> in front of me taking up the gap that I
have
>> left between me and the car in front.
If you're being undertaken, doesn't that indicate there's a large enough
gap in lane 1 for you to be occupying?

Yes, but not when I am trying to overtake the car in front of me. I tend not to tail-gate when overtakig and maintain a safe distance nor do I tend to "undertake" cars.
What gets your goat ? - Obsolete
"If you're being undertaken, doesn't that indicate there's a large enough gap in lane 1 for you to be occupying?"

Not necessarily. If you obey the 2 second rule there may be space for a moron to undertake. A moron will be willing to compromise safety margins.

Anyway, if you are in lane 3 overtaking traffic in lane 2, and you are maintaining a fixed distance from the car in front why should you move left if doing so only means that you will have to move back to lane 3 a mere 5 seconds later. Far safer to stay in lane and then move left once a long gap in lane 2 opens up.

I do hate these morons who have the arrogance to assume that you should move out of their way regardless of any safety considerations.

End of rambling winge.
What gets your goat ? - Cyd
Not that I get overtaken very often (I'm usually the overtaker), but people who overtake then drive slower than we were doing before!!!!!!!!
What gets your goat ? - paul swindon
Tailgaters, people who HAVE to drive at 70 mph outside my house which has a 40 limit, overtakers who then turn off the road a few yards after overtaking, drivers who straddle the left and right halves at a T junction, stopping me from turning left, drivers who go all round the roundabout to go left (previous thread), drivers who go across or on the wrong side of mini roundabouts instead of round them, drivers who take the racing line on blind corners nearly whipping of the wing mirrors, drivers turning right but in sit in the left of the main road instead of nearer the centre line, drivers who treat estate roads as if the white lines don't apply to them, drivers who race each other, foglights on in sunny weather, no lights in poor visibility.

And that's just for starters.
What gets your goat ? - peterb
Tailgaters, people who HAVE to drive at 70 mph outside my
house which has a 40 limit, overtakers who then turn off
the road a few yards after overtaking, drivers who straddle the
left and right halves at a T junction, stopping me from
turning left, drivers who go all round the roundabout to go
left (previous thread), drivers who go across or on the wrong
side of mini roundabouts instead of round them, drivers who take
the racing line on blind corners nearly whipping of the wing
mirrors, drivers turning right but in sit in the left of
the main road instead of nearer the centre line, drivers who
treat estate roads as if the white lines don't apply to
them, drivers who race each other, foglights on in sunny weather,
no lights in poor visibility.

Chillout, man!
peterb,

The thing is, the instances of the above all get my goat, but I am a very placid driver and all the wrong doings of others never raises my blood pressure one iota or cause me to do stupid things in return. I also acknowledge that no driver is perfect and readily admit to my own mistakes, even to the extent of feeling embarrassed if I forget to indicate or something, when I know the majority of others don't give a monkeys.
What gets your goat ? - Robert J.
Turning left out of a T-junction. You manage to stop behind the stop line and are looking to the right for a gap in the traffic. A right turner then sticks his nose out into the junction obscuring your view. They can see both ways perfectly well and then they are off, leaving you stuck at the junction. A similar thing happens at islands too.
I can ignore most things. When I see an example of bad driving I just look down on the culprit from my lofty perch of sanctimoniousness. :)

But someone who knowingly puts the life of me or other road users in danger drives me spare. When I see expensive Mercs racing down the M4 at 100 mph, dodging across lanes, then I get angry. I also get quite scared when I am near these persons.
Blimey, what impressive background moderation: the silent hand has tidied up my nasty posting mistakes. If only other drivers could silently correct my driving mistakes. That would be perfect.
What gets your goat ? - Dynamic Dave
Blimey, what impressive background moderation:

You see, we're not only here to delete or add pink fluffy dice comments to your posts. Occasionally Mark and I do the housework as well. DD.

And no, this isn't an invitation to start another moderators ranting session either!
What gets your goat ? - Maz
People who are more important than me. They've never made a mistake when driving, don't thank me for waiting because it's my duty, and are willing to endanger my unimportant life for a few seconds off their vital journeys.

I suppose if they're that important I really shouldn't complain. After all, I wouldn't want to keep The Queen AND David Beckham waiting.
What gets your goat ? - Nortones2
When I pull in to let a truck through a narrow village road, and not 1, but 2 following BMWs rush through the gap I leave. At least we (trucker and me) know what bank they use, as indicated by simultaneous raising of arms in gesture of despair.
What gets your goat ? - Rob the Bus
Oooh, oooh! (Mr Peasley - obscure Hair Bear Bunch reference). This really bugs me! Today, I was faced with a narrow road on a gradient. I was going up and one of my colleagues was wishing to come down whilst passing parked cars. I pulled into a gap, signalled right and flashed him through, only to have the dim-witted bint in the Vectra behind me to take this as a cue to breeze past me! When I caught up with her at the shops at the traffic lights at the top of the road I shouted across the road to her : "Couldn't wait to get your pies then love?" The best bit was, she then walked into the local bakers!

As a bus driver, one of the things that really annoys me is when someone steadfastly refuses to let me out of a bus stop, but then turns left immediately in front of the stop. Or, even worse, turns right therefore blocking my progress. Grrrrrr!!!
What gets your goat ? - smokie
Today, trying to park in town. I find a space (roadside). Go just beyond, intending to reverse in - no traffic behind, wonderful! In to reverse, off we go.

School run 4x4 blonde (lady, I might add) shoots up behind me when I am mid reversing and prevents me completing the manoeuvre. I have to give up and park further down the road.

And her point was...?
What gets your goat ? - 3500S
Situation 1.

Dual carriageway, national speed limit, clear both lanes, little traffic. And there it is, usually a super-mini doing 40 in Lane 2 completely oblivious.

What do you do? I'm usually loathed to do this but I give a flash of my lights at a safe distance behind in the true Highway Code sense to show 'I am here'.

And they normally stay put. Jesus wept.

Situation 2.

Moving into the middle lane of the motorway approaching a slip road. BMW or Mercedes comes onto the motorway (I always become very wary of this type of car). Join the motorway by accelerating through Lane 1, usually not indicating join Lane 2 in front of me and I'm looking at the gaps in Lane 3 and start hanging back well away from them.

They are starting to run out of space in Lane 2 as they still accelerating and then join Lane 3 usually in the gap some motorist is using as a safety gap (2 second rule).

Cue brake lights in Lane 3, I'm sat back in Lane 2 and Lane 1 is all over the place.

Alternatively, they get far too close to the car in Lane 2 and then slam on the anchors. It's up to me then to kill my speed to make allowances for them.

Has the BMW/Merc driver indicated once? Don't be silly, everyone knows that indicators are part of the very expensive driver's courtesy pack that no one buys.

What gets your goat ? - Marcos{P}
Following what has just been said am I the only large Mercedes driver who uses his indicators everytime and drives courteously?

What gets your goat ? - 3500S
There's always an exception to the rule I'm happy to say! I know it's a generalisation. The best Mercs I see driven are usually chauffered though.
Caravans.
What gets your goat ? - madf
people wot turn left by indicating left and then pulling right into the middel of the rode and then turn left.

peeple wot kant spell

peeple wot use apostrofies

peeple wot write about the use of apostrofyies

flash gits in anything bigger than a fiesta

pepel wot dont use Kapital lettrs

:-)

madf
What gets your goat ? - drbe
No.
What gets your goat ? - tunacat
Hey, at least going all the way round the roundabout to turn left is legal, and reasonable if you previously didn't have to do it before the planners decided to change (screw up) the number of approach lanes and their markings, resulting in a 350yd queue to turn left (well, a 10 o' clock left) to continue on the through-route!

And surely it gets others' goats a lot less than going in the RH lane on the approach and then barging into the stream using the first exit.

Similarly, on the same roundabout, taking the same (main route) exit but approaching from a feeder BEFORE the one mentioned above, you're supposed to be in the RH lane, which of course also has a queue. But a recent 'move' gaining popularity is to come steaming down the LH lane, clearly marked left-turn ONLY, straight out onto the roundabout without slowing, undertake the legitimate users and barge in to the exit stream from the left. VERY dangerous.

I notice these 'moves' seem particularly prevalent amongst those driving blacked-out and lowered Hondas, or gangsta-style second hand Lexuses.

These same types also love to drive up to the stop line in clearly marked right-turn-only lanes at cross roads, and then proceed straight ahead when the lights change.

My other goat-getter is, as at the top, the road planners themselves. Seems like whenever there's a stretch of road or a junction where traffic flows freely (and yes, without even any drastic speeding nor frequent accidents), they have to reduce the number of lanes, or put chicanes in, or reduce the speed limit (years and years it was 60, now it's suddenly 30! Gosh, how long and big an oversight must that have been??!!)... ...Hey, let's introduce congestion, then introduce a congestion charge...

Arrgh, I'm off for a cuppa now...
Emergency vehicles and the attitude of other drivers.

There I am pulling in to let said vehicle past but when I try and pull back out the cars behind have already blocked me out. This is compounded by idiots following these emergency vehicles thru the middle of the traffic (strange that they only follow ambulances and fire engines).
What gets your goat ? - pdc {P}
Or how about people who don't even realise that there is an emergency vehicle behind them? A couple of weeks ago, in Bolton, I spotted an ambulance about 7 cars back, so moved into the yellow box that was there to allow right turners coming towards me to cross my path. As well as entering the box I moved right into the second of two lanes as I could see the ambulance was indicating left.

So what do I get? The woman who I moved infront of started to give me hand signals, of the two finger variety, and a car wanting to cross my path did the same. The two of them looked very sheepish when the ambulance finally passed.

Then there are those people who, when an emergency vehicle approaches them, will stop in the most inappropriate place, such as opposite a crossing reservation, on a blind bend, or at the brow of a hill.

If they're following ambulances they must be lawyers.
What gets your goat ? - James_Jameson
"...I notice these 'moves' seem particularly prevalent amongst those driving blacked-out and lowered Hondas, or gangsta-style second hand Lexuses..."

Tunacat, how do you know that a car is "second hand"?
Because the car is older than the driver's licence possibly could be?
how do you know that a car is "second hand"?

Well of course I don't for sure, but I think it's unlikely that the person who paid around £40 grand 10 years ago for a new Lexus LS400 would, at some stage in their period of ownership, have decided that, hey!, it would look so-o-o much better with some appallingly ghastly crass and tasteless modifications...

In fact, if they HAD bought the car new, the poor fools couldn't have picked a better way to MAKE it look second-hand.
What gets your goat ? - Chas{P}
Can't believe no-one else has mentioned this:

Franchised dealer service departments:

* Waiting ages to be served when dropping car off and collecting

* Not getting the phone call to say car is ready

* Not doing all work requested and/or the "no fault found (cause we couldn't be bother to investigate properly) routine
What gets your goat ? - Hurman
This :-)

and this ;-}

and these ;>) :p :0]

It's all a load of (_0_)

And people who think lane 1 is only for lorries and for BMW drivers to answer the phone.

What gets your goat ? - 007

People who can't spell Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch correctly.
What gets your goat ? - leatherpatches
This message board that allows people to add to posts halfway down. If you're an obsessive like me, you can spend hours combing through posts you've already read to check you haven't missed anything!
What gets your goat ? - HF
Erm - the fact that I still haven\'t managed to work out the 5-letter word beginning in I and ending in Y, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Am I really that dense, or is it an in-joke???
You don\'t happen to mean NSAR\'s posting do you?

As far as I know, the word is IRONY!
Hopefully NSAR should put me right if not.

Kev
Thank you Kev, I did mean NSAR\'s post!
What gets your goat ? - howy686
All those hatched markings in the road cos, presumably, no-one is taught to know which part of the road to drive on anymore.
But anyone knows that, if there are cameras, the limit is 40mph, even when the signs say 50 - but you can\'t pass the pink fluffy dice because of those hatched areas!!!!!!!!!
What gets your goat ? - Monaro
People who 'key' my car.
Arraghhhhh.

Paul C
I saw another one today that I had forgoten about.

Cars with hundreds of cuddly toys on the parcel shelf.
What gets your goat ? - bugged {P}
people that have "baby on board" stickers in the back window and drive like idiots.

people who can't park.

people who hit your door.

people who do not realise lane 1 is the road and the others are for overtaking!!!
What gets your goat ? - Wally Zebon
* Not getting the phone call to say car is ready

Couldn't agree more.

People who park on the wrong side of the street and then stick their nose right out into traffic when they try and move off again.

People who park outside my house!

What gets your goat ? - matt35 {P}
All those hatched markings in the road cos, presumably, no-one is
taught to know which part of the road to drive on
anymore.
But anyone knows that, if there are cameras, the limit is
40mph, even when the signs say 50 - but you can\'t
pass the pink fluffy dice because of those hatched areas!!!!!!!!!

Howy,
Where did you read of a 40mph limit on traffic separation hatchings - even when the limit is 50mp?

Matt35.
What gets your goat ? - Mark (RLBS)
Matt35 - I think you misread his note. The implication was that others slow down to 40 when they see a camera, even though the posted limit is 50, and he can't overtake them because of the hatchings.
Thanks Mark,
Read it again with brain in gear!

Matt35
PS to Howy.

Traffic Separation Hatchings with BROKEN white lines 'should not be entered unless it is safe to do so' - Dept of Transport, Know Your Traffic Signs.

'Where the boundary line is broken, you should not drive on the markings unless you can see that it is safe to do so.' - The Driving Manual - Driving Standards Agency.

'If the area is bordered by a broken white line,you should not enter the area unless it is neccessary and you can see that it is safe to do so' - Rule 109 - Highway Code.

Take your pick - if I got stuck behind a slow moving car on a clear road, I would try to identify the reasons for the hatchings - crossroad, offside junction,dead ground in a dip,etc and overtake if safe to go.
Matt35
What gets your goat ? - Ant
People who blatantly show up (usually in BMW or 4x4) at the supermarket - alone - and park in the spots reserved for those with kids or for mums-to-be. I have had to restrain myself on more than one occasion from remonstrating at our local supermarket.

Similarly, I was staying at one of those "no frills" hotel chains a couple of weekends ago, and there was a bunch of people turned up with EVOs, Imprezas, all organ pipe exhausts and aftermarket skirts (you know the type), and they all proceeded to park in the nice convienient disabled spots, which are extra wide to prevent anyone from "dinking" the paintwork.

As another guest pointed out when I spoke to him, "I think they must be *mentally* disabled."

Ant

What gets your goat ? - Ant
Just remembered, I did once hear of a "friend of a friend" (urban myth?) who having just spied a blatant disabled spot abuser, carefully and helpfully carved a disabled sign onto the car door with his key.

I do not condone such actions.

But it made me smile.

Ant
What gets your goat ? - frostbite
People who give a 'cheery' toot-toot (or worse) as they drive off from friends houses.
What gets your goat ? - Rob C
Arghh I hate that so much, several of my neighbours friends do that. Isn't "goodbye" enough?

PhoenixDaCats ambulance story reminded me of a time I saw an ambulance trying to turn right off a main road into a side street. A few people waiting in the side street nipped out in front of the ambulance and were merrily on their way.

I appreciate they might have been in a hurry, but probably not as much as the poor person waiting for the ambulance.

I was once sitting at a traffic light controlled cross junction. I was the only car in the right hand lane, indicating right but there were many cars in the left turn/straight ahead lane.
I spied an approaching police car in the mirror, blues and twos as they say, so sharply ducked left across into the cycle "courtesy space" to allow the copper through.

Immediately, this old fella in a micra darts out into the space where I previously was. The copper stands on the brakes and stops in time. It then takes several seconds for the old fella to realise there is a flashing, wailing police car behind him.

To appalling to be hilarious
What gets your goat ? - borasport20
I hope the in-laws don't read this, because as a family, they all have a habit which I think is worse

When leaving, everybody in the car including the driver has to stick an arm out of the window and wave for as long as they can.

Now at mum & dads house, that means i've lost count of the number of times SWMBO or her siblings have driven 200 yards then gone round a 90 degree bend (usually in the middle of the road) with one hand on the wheel and the other waving madly out of the window while they stare at the rear view mirror to see if mummy and daddy are still waving

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
What gets your goat ? - nixontim
The condition of British roads stink, the amount of pot holes, and general poor conditioning of roads really get on my nerves.

We pay road tax and the are still in bad conition even though they are forever working on them.

I say forget road tax and put it towards reparing our cars suspension.
I agree. Locally we have the odd phenomenom of inverted pot holes built by the local council. I think the idea is that when real pot holes form, the two cancel each other out and hey presto a flat(ish) road appears. Or am I mistaken ...
What gets your goat ? - edisdead {P}
People who are turning off a main road but don't use the decelleration lane provided, thereby slowing everyone else's progress.
What gets your goat ? - A Dent{P}
Bad: Red traffic lights that change just after you go to neutral.
Worse: Ten sets of traffic lights into town sequenced to catch you on red at each one.
Even Worse: Ten sets of red traffic lights into town that each have a Sucker-In-Gear sensor.

DIY system fault diagnosis, it?s a nightmare.
What gets your goat ? - PhilW
The increasingly common method near us of resurfacing roads by spraying the road with tar then tipping tons of gravel on top then leaving it for three weeks so that the loose chippings are dispersed by using them to "gravel-blast" the front of my car. They also choose either a very hot day to do it so the chippings don't stick or cold wet day so the chippings don't stick. In addition, it does nothing to smooth the surface, there are no white lines for weeks, catseyes are buried and the height of the surface gradually becomes higher as they do it year after year so that drains/manhole covers etc become increasingly sunken like huge potholes and any road drainage system is ruined so huge puddles are everywhere. Here, they have also done it outside a large works so that those triple rear wheel artics have gouged huge grooves where they scrub turning into a narrow entrance. What's the point?
Ten sets of traffic lights into town sequenced to catch you on red at each one.

Sounds like you live near me. The lights on the A4 and another major road are staged such that if you obey the limits, you stop at each one, as the change occurs just before you reach the junction. Oddly if you speed you can get a straight run. I don't speed but I can see it tempting some.
And there's more:-

Kids who press the pelican button AFTER they have crossed the road (or not crossed at all), so they turn red just as you approach. Drivers who straddle the white lines in car parks taking up 2 places (hope they get a ticket !!). Vectra drivers who simply have to try to keep up with the Impreza who has just overtaken them - why, when there's no chance?
And there's more:-
Drivers who straddle the white lines in
car parks taking up 2 places (hope they get a ticket
!!). >>

As I will shortly have to spend a great deal of money getting two cars sprayed because of supermarket hit and runs, I will continue to park across two bays until such time as the general standard of parking in this country improves, either that or people become selfless enough to leave their details when they damage someone elses car.

So there ;-p
>>as the general standard of parking in this country improves, either that or people become selfless enough<<

I'm fascinated by your advanced parking technique, could share some more of your top tips to we lesser mortals?

Could you include some steers on how to be as "selfless" as you as well, you're clearly quite an authority.

Wahey!

Actually, I never said I was selfless, clearly I am not, because I regularly park across two bays. Those people I inconvenience can spend a small amount of time finding another space.

I will have to leave my car at the sprayshop for 4-5 days, and pay a considerable amount of cash to get the damage repaired, then do it again for the other car. Sorry, but I need to take steps to protect my property.
Rob C- what makes you so special, we all hate getting car park dings. Some of us, instead of behaving like you, take the trouble to park away from other cars rather than force others to make more effort. It doesn't always work and people who come and park next to you when you've clearly chosen a distant corner of the car park to avoind dings get my goat as well, but it's better than behaving like a total, well, I won't complete the sentence....

It surely can't have passed you by that if everyone behaved like you, you wouldn't be able to get it in to an awful lot of car parks. Do you buy two tickets in the NCP?
What gets your goat ? - Altea Ego
I remember the days when the lights on the A4 (slough)were phased so that if you obeyed the speed limit you would get green lights all the way. It was much publicised and people used to drive the road to test it and gasp in awe and wonderment at such sensible use of modern technology......
What gets your goat ? - Wally Zebon
>>I remember the days when the lights on the A4 (slough)were phased so that if you obeyed the speed limit you would get green lights all the way. It was much publicised and people used to drive the road to test it and gasp in awe and wonderment at such sensible use of modern technology......

I remember driving through West Berlin in 1988. They had a similar system except that they also had little signs telling you what speed to drive at to get the next set of lights at green. So if you got through one set of lights, it would display 40 and if you then drove at 40kmph you would go through the next set at green and so on.
I thought it was an excellent system at the time and I'm amazed that I've never seen anything similar since.

What gets your goat ? - Flat in Fifth
Maybe this should be on the road sign thread but here goes.

Councils who carefully mark lanes with direction signs, yet are too mean to keep them painted adequately, and also too mean to put up signs explaining the lane allocation. If the road is busy the markings are covered, if quiet they cannot be read. Its worse than a free for all, strangers have no idea of the local rules, and locals drive along the lines of, "But everyone knows the right hand lane here is for turning left!"

Whilst I'm on with it, what also gets my goat are the people who scatter roundabouts and the roads with "Happy 40th Kev" and similar. Only they leave them in place after the event so you get a stack of "Bev's 30 today!" etc sitting there for weeks. Just so selfish!

What gets your goat ? - A Dent{P}
"Whilst I'm on with it, what also gets my goat are the people who scatter roundabouts and the roads with "Happy 40th Kev" and similar. Only they leave them in place after the event so you get a stack of "Bev's 30 today!" etc sitting there for weeks. Just so selfish!"

Spot on, that's my No.1 grip.
No-one else has a clue who these people are so why make it public! just send a card like everyone else, Please.
(Then again it may not be a sign of endearment, but a stab at public humiliation)
What gets your goat ? - Berkshire Whizz
So many goats, so little time!!

1. People who stop on an entry sliproad waiting for a gap in the 70+ mph traffic, instead of using it to A-C-C-E-L-E-R-A-T-E!
2. Councils who (or should that be "which", or even "that"?) insist on redesigning heavily congested junctions (rephasing lights, odd lane assignments, etc) to make it quicker and safer for cyclists ... who always use the pavements anyway ... thereby screwing up traffic flow even more (thanks, Slough Borough Council)!
3. People who have never known the rules applying to box junctions.
4. People who use the "Baby on Board" mobiles as a status symbol (i.e. without a baby on board), rather than their original intention: to indicate to the emergency services that attend an accident that they should be looking for a baby in the vicinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. People who insist on turning two-lane roundabouts into one lane (and hence a car park) by "failing to notice" the lane markings!
6. The inverse relationship between the size of the schoolkid and the size of the vehicle delivering it!

I am sure there are plenty more, but that will do for now. I am off to take a Valium!

About the 20 people in the past month who have used my bumpers as target practice when parking.

(Why oh why do manufactures make colour coded bumpers that have all the paint scratched off whenever someone tries to park? I suppose it is better than some manufacturers who think that there is no need for rubbing strips and think that an integrated bumper is suffice eg Audi TT).
What gets your goat ? - v8man
People who drive everywhere with front fog lights on.
Same as above but with side lights on instead of headlights.
What gets your goat ? - v8man
Drivers indicating right all the way round roundabouts and turn left with out cancelling the right indicator.
What gets your goat ? - Alfafan {P}
People who signal left one or two exits before they get off. Presumably this shows they're getting off eventually!
What gets your goat ? - robZilla
More of a question really but if you're approaching a roudabout with two entry lanes and three exit lanes (left, right and straight-over) which lane do you position your car in?

I always thought this:

If turning left, use left lane.
If going straing over, use left lane.
If turning right, use right line.

Recently I've seen enough people use the right hand lane when going straight over to make me think I may be wrong. Am I wrong?

You should always use the LH lane on approach if possible, but I believe it's ok to use the RH lane on the approach if someone's in the LH lane indicating left, especially if it's a lorry or somesuch that's making a slow getaway.

Even more allowable if the straight-on exit has two lanes in it (even if they soon merge), but use the RH lane of the straight-on exit and merge politely.

I don't think it's ever strictly illegal to use the RH lane when going straight on, unless the road markings indicate it's for right turn only, but politeness, consideration and manners are paramount.

...I stand by to get flamed...!!
RobNorton: The Highway Code says you can use lane 2 (the right hand one) of a two lane road to enter a roundabout and go straight across if lane 1 (the left hand one) is blocked. I take this to mean if there is a queue of traffic in lane 1 then you can use lane 2. That's what I do anyway.

The worst case is three entry lanes to a roundabout with two lanes. The left entry lane wil be marked left turn only, but that won't stop turnip brain and his mutant relatives from using it to go straight on with predictable consequences. (More honking than on an RSPB reserve.)
What gets your goat ? - Dave E
I hate to say this but how about this website. Ouch! Why? For having an assumption that being a member of this forum allows contributors to sit in judgement of other road users - see above - in a patronising and superior manner.

Hands up all those who have NEVER committed some kind of error when out driving. This thread and those of a similar ilk are redundant. I visit this website for info. on cars, which I thoroughly enjoy, not to see other road users rubbished.

Of course there are idiots out there but they simply make the "driving experience" interesting. I cannot and will not spend my time getting hot under the collar because somebody commits an act that is not in the spirit of what is considered to be acceptable "road craft". They may have a genuine and pressing need to go for a gap that isn't really there - in whose eyes - or the parent in the 4WD may be be taking an ongoing trip to work. Who knows?

After all we can't be that bad, don't we have one of the lowest accident rates in the world?

I have to say Dave that I quite agree.

If you look at my original post I only wanted the silly little things that anoy i.e. naming cars wrong and owning furry seat covers, the stuff that doesn't matter one little bit in the great scheme of things.
Not a great rave about poor ( although everyone does it ) driving standards.

So I'll give you a couple more.

"if you can read this sticker...................." on the rear bumper.

Chrome wheel trims ( plastic ones )

Ant more ???

I hate to say this but how about this website. Ouch!
Why? For having an assumption that being a member of this
forum allows contributors to sit in judgement of other road users
- see above - in a patronising and superior manner.
Hands up all those who have NEVER committed some kind of
error when out driving. This thread and those of a similar
ilk are redundant.

I don't think anyone is claiming to be the perfect driver - but what on earth is wrong with having a thread to have a little whinge when the need arises?
Well, everything's pretty much subjective, isn't it - that's what 'an opinion' is. That's pretty much what the entire forum's about. Is having a rant about others' standards of roadcraft any less valid than ranting about apostrophes or "Robin Reliants" ?
(BTW, the supplement with the latest edition of "Car" mentions the Robin Reliant belonging to the Trotters - Arghh! Double whammy! It was a Reliant Regal! And I thought that was supposed to be a 'kerwalidy' publication).

Just as info on cars can be largely subjective too - witness the wide variation in opinion on Vectras, or the relative merits of a BMW 7 series and a Nissan QX...

Anyway, thanks Dave E, I now feel quite at liberty to tailgate, drive too fast, overtake in the wrong place, use the wrong lanes, cut you up, etc etc etc, safe in the knowledge that, as a bonus, your collar will remain pleasantly cool whilst I make your driving experience that bit more interesting.
Of course I needed that gap that wasn't there! -You weren't to know, were you, that I was on a mission to get a liver to its destination as quickly as possible... my wife's frying pan.
What gets your goat ? - robZilla
Presumably only if the the cars in the queue in lane 1 are turning left? If they want to go straight over, they won't take too kindly to someone getting on the roundabout on lane 2 and then.. well, what? Just barging in?
robnorton: You might be right. Problem is the Highway Code is - to me anyway - ambiguous. What does 'blocked' mean? In fact I find quite a lot of it ambiguous. If entering a roundabout in lane 2 to go across, and the exit is one lane, then common sense suggests that you watch your left side, and give way to anyone in lane 1 doing likewise.
What gets your goat ? - clariman
Lazy Morons that park their vehicles over my drive, meaning that my car is blocked in.

Happens many times a week and I am fed up telling the SAME ignorant people to move. Jeez, there's enough room on the road for this not to be needed.

ALTERNATIVELY CAN'T THESE IDIOTS PARK OVER THE DRIVE OF THOSE THEY ARE ACTUALLY VISITING.

Makes me wonder if such thick pond life should be on the road in the first place.

clariman.....
getting more right wing by the day
What gets your goat ? - Dwight Van Driver
Re the thread heading:

O\'Rafferty would dearly like to know as his ran away.

(Only the Irish reading will appreciate this and laugh)

DVD
Clariman: I would have thought that if someone blocked your drive they were committing a criminal offence? After all several cars could make it impossible for you to get to work and hence incur considerable expense.
What gets your goat ? - Berkshire Whizz
Criminal? I thought it would be a civil case (i.e. you need to get an injunction against someone to stop doing it). Only if they are parked on yellow lines spanning your drive, and the parking offences in your area have not yet been handed over to the council, would it be criminal.
Any legal brains know if i am correct in that assumption?
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a civil case and a criminal offence, and what is an injunction? I never did understand the legal talk on cop shows.
In a criminal case, you have broken a specific law and there is a set punishment for it. You will be tried by a magistrate or, if it is more serious, at Crown Court. Punishments range from an absolute discharge (where there is usually no moral blame attached) to imprisonment. Criminal cases are brought by a prosecutor, who is usually acting on behalf of the Crown.

A civil case is about conduct that may not specifically be prohibited by criminal law (but may be) where the person bringing the case has suffered some harm, or may do so. This person is known as the claimant and may be just about anybody. Most civil cases are about money or family issues, e.g., debt and divorce. There is almost always no punitive element but the courts' orders may be enforced.

An injunction is a remedy that is an order by the court to behave in a certain way. In this case, the claimant would be seeking a prohibitory injunction.
DHP: Thanks!