Help me Mondeo Issue - Raul
On Sunday afternoon I parked my Mondeo 2002 2.5L on an 8° hill, obviously I engaged first gear and hand brake. After 10min, I went back to my car, only to realize that it was 50m downhill embedded with a telephone post. The hand brake lever was still on position. Can anybody help me? I can\'t understand what happened. The car that was parked in front of mine didn\'t hit mine. I know this because it\'s my friend\'s car.
Help me Mondeo Issue - kal
Hi their have been a number of cases of Ford Mondeos rolling back and I believe ford may have issued a TSB on this issue. Ford have said that the handbrake leve should be pulled up smartly. Ford are aware of this issue so contact them.

kal
Help me Mondeo Issue - borasport20
Suprised it's still happening on 2002 cars.

I've stood on the pavement and watched the father-in-laws T reg Mondeo roll downhill. Luckily it didn't roll too far and hit a young (and bendy) sapling

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Help me Mondeo Issue - jud
I thought if the car was in gear sufficient mechanical resistance was present to prevent movement, can some one explain?
Help me Mondeo Issue - Bilgewater
My 2001 Mondeo was recalled for modifications to the rear caliper handbrake lever.
Apparently if the brakes were hot and the handbrake was not applied hard enough the handbrake could release as the brakes cooled down.
I bought one of those Ford Technical Information Service CDs on eBay recently, and on it I found Technical Service Bulletin No.8/2002 which related to handbrake levers that came up to high.
Did you put the car in 1st gear? If so I wouldn't have thought it would have run away.
Help me Mondeo Issue - Flat in Fifth
Obviously can't explain the 1st gear bit unless wasn't properly engaged, though I have found that the only way to apply the parking brake is per the owners manual.

1. Apply footbrake firmly
2. Pull up parking brake lever without pressing the button.

I know not pressing the button takes some getting used to but you really don't get the ratchet sound, just a single click on my car.

Without pressing the footbrake first the car really is NOT secure.

Hope that helps.
Help me Mondeo Issue - Raul
Thank you all for your interesting points of view!!
I would like to know if the Bulletin applies to my car, since it\'s 2002. In addition, I applied the handbrake as stated in the owners manual... one more reason for not understanding what really happened.
Help me Mondeo Issue - Marc
As far as I am aware all new shape Mondeos were subject to a recall last May/June for a modification to the handbrake as there were reports of cars rolling away. Presumably Ford sent out a letter to all owners.

There was a delay on me picking mine up (6 month old 01 model at the time) because the dealer was waiting for the handbrake modification parts before delivery.

I have the LX with the plastic wheeltrims, the handbrake works fine but the rear wheeltrims have distorted with heat for some reason. On the last service however the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the brakes.