Rover 'knocking' noise - willist2
I haven't driven my car for a while (Rover 220sdi) and after jacking up the car and checking the front brakes, following a post yesterday, I took it for a spin.
As soon as I pulled away there was a loud knocking noise coming from the rear of the car - this lasted a while but has now dissapeared. Any ideas what it was?
Rover 'knocking' noise - Robin the Technician
You don't say how long its been since you last drove the car. There are two possibilities:
1: whatever was knocking has fallen off!!
2: could have been a sticking brake pad that's now eased off.
Difficult to diagnose the problem now its gone away.

These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Rover 'knocking' noise - muddyboots
I also used to have a 220SDi, and quite often I'd get a fairly loud knock, seemingly from the rear, just as I pulled away from standstill.

It sounds odd, but I think it was the drivers door trim, it seemed to creak loudly once when pulling away - sometime I could replicate the sound by leaning down hard with my arm on the armrest ! When sat in the drivers seat it gave the impression the noise was coming from the rear, because the rear edge of the door trim was behind you (if it's a 3 door). Don't know why it did this, maybe a bit of flexing in the bodyshell ????

Other than brakes, like Robin suggested, the only thing I could think of is fuel sloshing about, causing the tank to creak on it's mountings.

mb
Rover 'knocking' noise - paul swindon
My Astra was prone to do this especially after a period of heavy rain. The drum shoes were "stuck" to the drums. One one occasion I had to take the wheel off the car and remove the drum before I could pull away. Did you notice that when you pulled away it still felt like the handbrake was on, then there was a thud which freed the shoes from the drum?
Cheers chaps. I reckon it must have been a brake pad sticking from what you've said - I hadn't driven it for about 2 months and the 'symptoms' were similar to Pauls Astra above. Having its MOT at the moment so I'm sure if there is anything wrong they'll find it!
OK, car PAST the MOT but the knocking is back and more pronounced than ever. It is now definately coming from the front of the car - i can feel it through the steering wheel and it seems to be from the driver side.
The garage I took it to were highly recommended by a few friends so is there anythin that could be causing it that wouldn't have been picked up on an mot?
Rover 'knocking' noise - racingkarts
there's a few things to be checked out first.

firstly, is the noise cyclic
does braking affect the noise
does it make any "knock" under heavy cornering

if it's been a decent mot - the wheel bearings would have been checked, as would have the ball joints - and any malfunction in the brakes would have shown up in the rolling road tests.

it's worth checking your suspension over - try feeling the top of the coil spring, make sure it's not snapped - also - make sure the ride hight is even all round the car. then, try applying some pressure of the wing, and see how restrictive the shocky is.

also, if it only does it under pulling away - check all your engine mounts, and your gearbox mounts.

other than that, a=check your anti-roll bar, your cv joints.
Rover 'knocking' noise - Altea Ego
Tyre gone mishapen after sitting around?
Rover 'knocking' noise - guzzler
Check your tyres, I had a similar thing on my old rover.
The front n/s tyre tread had somehow become blistered, it was difficult to find and it was only by chance I noticed it.
New tyre, problem solved. Good luck