Fiesta Brake Drums - Vic
I`m attempting to remove the rear brake drum from a L reg Fiesta.

How do you release the brake shoes ( ratchet ?) to enable the drum to be pulled
off.

On the rear plate there is a lightly loaded spring / button...Is that something
to do with it?

Thanks

Fiesta Brake Drums - Dynamic Dave
On the rear plate there is a lightly loaded spring /
button...Is that something to do with it?

No, that's what holds the brake shoe in situ. You release that after removing the drum if you want to change the shoes.

Many times it's mentioned here. Haynes Manual - purchase and read. The money saved by doing the job yourself pays for the manual in no time.
Fiesta Brake Drums - Vic
"Many times it's mentioned here. Haynes Manual - purchase and read. The money saved by doing the job yourself pays for the manual in no time."

I`ve got the Haynes book , and it says remove the rubber bung at the back and unlatch the ratchet.

The Fiesta I looked at didn`t have this rubber bung!
Fiesta Brake Drums - Dynamic Dave
Re: haynes manual; Oops, in that case Vic I apologise.

Maybe the bung it refers to has fallen out at some point in the vehicles history. Not sure if the Haynes book shows a picture of the backplate or not, but there should be a hole where the bung once was. You need to slacken off the rachet by poking a screwdriver inside the hole and pushing against it. It\'s really a crude method, not helped by the access hole being at the rear of the backplate. My Cavalier adjuster was fiddly enough to slacken, and the access hole was in the drum itself on that car that you accessed from the front.

Maybe an expert will be along in a moment!
Fiesta Brake Drums - Hairyharry
On the rear plate there is a lightly loaded spring /
button...Is that something to do with it?

This is the indicator for adjusting the handbrake cable - when the cable is properly adjusted there is a total free play (both sides added together) of 1mm.

Is this a hub where you undo the wheel bearing to remove the brake drum or one where you undo the four bolts at back to release the whole hub/drum assembly?

If the former and no hole to release adjuster it\'s a matter of brute force until drum comes free this may damage the shoe hold-down pins etc which will require replacing.

If the latter should be able to access adjusters with hub/drum assembly removed.

Before refitting clean up the wear ridge on the drum inner lip,
which will ease drum removal in future. Pays to remove drums annually to remove this ridge.
Fiesta Brake Drums - madf
Undo the 4 bolts: the single nut holding on the drum/bearings is a pig to undo.....
madf