Nissan CVT box in Primera - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Does anyone have any experience of the CVT transmission used in Nissan Primera Mk3 cars (99 - 02)?

I've read the car-by-car breakdown and nothing's flagged up there apart from it being slow setting off.

What's it like to drive, and what's its reputation for reliability? (I don't think we're talking about the same thing as the old Micra CVT).

I currently drive a conventional auto but with a big engine (Ford Scorpio) - I previously had an auto in a Mondeo 2.0 and hated it.

As far as the Primera itself goes, I'm very familiar with it; it's just the gearbox I'm interested in.

Cheers
Nissan CVT box in Primera - joeharris1306
I have a 1999 2.0 litre Primera [p11/144] that has the cvt box in that you are talking about. I have only ever driven automatics. This box seems smoother than any I have driven to date, copes easily with steep hills [not always changing up and back down] and has an excellent kickdown. That's the good side.
On the other side of the coin, Nissan tell you to use only one type of ATF. Surprise! It's their own NS1. Getting hold of it can be a pain.
I don't know how the box has been treated before I got the car, but a speed sensor failed at 80,000 miles and this with work on the stepper motor and replacement of seals etc cost me £578.

Incidentally, I asked the chaps who'd fixed it what fluid they used and they said Texaco Dexron 3.
When I quoted what it said in the Nissan manual about only using their fluid - He said that they would say that wouldn't they.

Their work comes with a 12 month warranty and the box has been really smooth again in the last 4 weeks since he did the work.
Nissan CVT box in Primera - joeharris1306

To continue about NS1 [the ATF Nissan say must be used] :

I still haven't change the ATF since my comment of June 1997 and the CVT box is running fine. About to change the fluid now.

Nissan CVT box in Primera - DrS
Just sold a slush box Primera automatic on e bay.
One guy I was discussing with was asking if it was the cvt type: I said no, he lost interest: Message being, at least some people prefer the cvt box to the "standard" autobox.
Nissan CVT box in Primera - bell boy
ive got one
its definately not slow off the mark
i find it a bit difficult to keep to 30 but the same critiscm could be said of a manual
to me it is the same as a micra cvt even down to the fact it wont creep,i nearly knocked the wing on mine the other night tight parking it (i was tired and wasnt left foot braking
i like mine,just wish the aircon was as cold as my last r reg one
this one is on a v
I take it you've tried to get the air con regassed ?!?
I take it you've tried to get the air con regassed ?!?

not yet, thats my next step,£65 round here, im waiting for a favour on a favour so will probably get it done in november, :-)
>> I take it you've tried to get the air con regassed ?!?
>>
not yet thats my next step £65 round here im waiting for a favour on
a favour so will probably get it done in november :-)

Just had my 'Goona done at Kwik Fit. £45
Chalk and cheese!
Get it done sooner rather than later: It's going to be a hot summer!
thanks Drs that sounds like my kind of price :-)
my trade contact needs a kick maybe?
baring in mind i was the one that bemoaned everyone wants everything cheaper last night and here i am in the same thinking .
Nissan CVT box in Primera - Aprilia
thanks Drs that sounds like my kind of price :-)
my trade contact needs a kick maybe?
baring in mind i was the one that bemoaned everyone wants everything cheaper last night
and here i am in the same thinking .

They are pulling your leg if they want £65. Even Joe Public gets it for £45 in my part of the world. I go to a local guy who works mobile (I go to his house to save £10) and its vac down, leak test and regas for £35. He'll even bung in some extra PAG oil for free (helps slow down the leaks, he says).
thanks for the advise
Nissan CVT box in Primera - Aprilia
They're not bad motors, but you really should use the NS1 fluid and not Dexron III.
I'm am not keen on CVT's for the reason that if they go wrong it tends to get terminal very quickly and repair costs are out of this world. I prefer the standard stepped hydraulic units.
as aprilia says ,but if mine went bang i would write it off, there is no way i would have it repaired, but the same can be said for most 7 year old autos.