Oil Filters - Start-up rattle - howy686
Reading the chat about filters rang some bells - my Cavalier 16V (2l ecotec)had started to tap (not every time) for several 'long' seconds after cold start-up since the last oil change (same 15/50 oil which I always use). The filter was made by FRAM which I've always thought to be a well-known make.
Anyway, I've just swapped the filter to a genuine GM and, guess what, the start-up rattle has gone!
There's no visible non-return valve in either filter, and it hangs near vertical - so what has made the difference? Sure I had to top up with half litre of fresh oil but the whole sump full has only run for maybe 1000 miles.
Another strange thing - the lifters have always been a little noisy once warmed up, but I have noticed that, at tick-over, a louder tapping comes and goes at maybe half-minute intervals- definitely coming from the cam box - any ideas?

Oil Filters - Start-up rattle - Dynamic Dave
Another strange thing - the lifters have always been a little
noisy once warmed up, but I have noticed that, at tick-over,
a louder tapping comes and goes at maybe half-minute
intervals - definitely coming from the cam box - any ideas?

When was the cam belt last changed, and was the tensioner also changed? For info, the belt and tensioner should now be changed at every 40,000 miles, not 80,000 miles as previously stated by Vauxhall.
Oil Filters - Start-up rattle - howy686
The belt was changed 28000 miles ago and, the year after, the tensioner rollers were changed by GM when Watchdog blew the whistle. So I'm fairly confident of the belt & tensioners.
I only cover about 6000 miles a year but I will be thinking to have the belt changed again in the next 12 months.
Oil Filters - Start-up rattle - JonM
Commonly given advice on this site is 40,000 miles or 4 years for a cam-belt change. At 6,000 miles a year, 28,000 miles must mean it's been about 4 years since it was done. If this is correct and there's any doubt about whether this noise is cam-belt related I would be tempted to change it sooner rather than later, especially considering the potential costs involved if it should fail.