Police radios can trigger positive breath tests - Andrew Hamilton
I found this story on www.theregister.co.uk on the 26th January latest news.
Apparently pressing the push to talk button on the police radio whilst waiting the required 40 secs for the tester to complete test - causes the lights to go red.
This is according to the article, used to annoy "griefy" suspects. The suspect is arrested and released later back at the police station. He has to find his own way to the car at say 4 oclock in the morning.
If this is true, I am alarmed at a device so heavily tested before bringing into use, has this weakness.
Apparently ambulance radios have the same affect.
I wonder if readers remember people getting free petrol by using CB radios at filling stations some years ago!
RE: Police radios can trigger positive breath test - honestjohn
If this is confirmed by other readers I'll bring the matter up in my column. It raises important legal points about breath testing procedures and may well judged as a legitimate defence for refusing a breath test.

HJ
RE: Police radios can trigger positive breath test - Andrew Hamilton
If HJ does put it in the paper, I hope he mentions the website that brought up the story. They depend on the publicity as they make no charges to use it.

I think anyone refusing a breath test would be arrested and tested down at the station by the more accurate machines there. So, if you have been drinking, there is still no escape!
RE: Police radios can trigger positive breath test - honestjohn
Dear hitters,

Got a response from a serving traffic officer on this one who, of course, wishes to remain anonymous. He tells us that it is possible to trigger a red indication by transmitting while close to the breathalyser. So the circumstances could be created where a motorist who "failed the attitude test" could be arrested. The problem for the arresting officer would occur at the police station when the arrested motorist subsequently passed the tests there. The custody officer would take a very dim view and, apparently, the arresting officer could lay himself open to criminal charges. So anyone arrested for "failing the attitude test" would have to be very certain of their grounds (ie certain they were definitely not pissed) before challenging the arresting officers on the grounds of radio interference.

HJ