Clio Belt change - Altea Ego
Advice please. Wifes clio, 1.2. Three years old last month, 24000 miles FDSH. Question is - belt changes.

Now this is obviously well short of being due for belt changes mileage wise, but what about time wise? Any advise welcome.
Clio Belt change - DavidHM
Renault publishes 5 years/72k for all models as far as I can tell.

Do it in a year or two but don't leave it longer.
Clio Belt change - jcII
A workmate has clio1.2 R reg. He never knew what a timing belt was till it snapped at 80k miles. Serviced at 78k at a small local garage who just said timing belt not part of service asked for. To make matters worse one of his relations (a wanna be mechanic) decided to fix it for him with limited knowledge. Took off the old belt and put the new one on without setting up the timing! Guess what? It wouldnt start. Not to be beaten the hero then decided all that was needed was to tow the car and let the clutch out hehe.
A trip to the local dealership showed EVERY valve knackered! £700 later he got his car back... Leave the belt for now but dont go passed the recommended mileage! Also heard this engine is bad for oil leaks, has anyone else heard this?
£700, he got off lightly! Shows how cheap/simple these DIET engines are. Was it a recon engine or a rebuild of the old one for that money?
Clio Belt change - jcII
This was a rebuild of the old one, I think it was about £20 each for the valves (16 of them i think on that engine) and the rest was labour and ancilleries from main renault dealer prob £50 a hour or so plus VAT. He certainly knows what a timing belt is now poor chap!
Nope, only eight at that age. The 1.2 16v was introduced in late 2000 and there aren't many of that engine around in that shape Clio - certainly not as old as R reg.

Even getting the job done with about 8 hours' labour is quite impressive. (£160 for parts, ~£400 for labour, ~£30 for ancillaries + VAT).