MOT History - scot22

Whoever has given the advice on checking MOT history online (gov.uk) thank you. Learning from the forum it stuck in my brain. I was interested in a 7 year old car ( FSH but advert did not say who by). I checked on its MOT history and looking at one failure (major central exhaust, horn not working, another with advisories on tyre close to legal limit, brake pads worn and other brake problems. Between one failure ( two days before expiry) and pass car had done 350 miles three weeks later. Would appear to have been driven without MOT. The one owner would appear to have neglected care as soon as out of warranty. Definitely did not give the impression of someone I would want to buy a car from.

As often advised, when not sure and not mechanical - walk away.

I hope this will flag up to lesser mortals like me a useful check. To the knowledgeable posters - thanks again. You are a great help to people like me.

MOT History - RobJP

The MOT history being up on the DVLA site is, without doubt, one of the best and most customer-empowering things to have been done in the last few years. DVLA have embraced technology and made it work quickly and simply.

For anyone new reading this, you can, with just the numberplate and make of vehicle, get a full MOT history, including details of advisories, by going here :

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

MOT History - dan86

There is also a app you can download on android devices and possibly iPhones that shows a vehicles MOT history.

MOT History - oldroverboy.

I have been looking fior a friend for an MGzT (previously posted) but after wasting our time turned toward an s type 4,2 supercharged and then on to an xf 5.0 ( now negotiaiting) all can say is God bless DVLA and the mot check site.

USE IT!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 23/03/2017 at 21:05

MOT History - RT

Be aware that some, including me, send their cars for MoT to workshops who are very particular because we want to know of any faults or potential issues as well as maintaing a car well - compared to those who carry out minimal maintenance and seek out more "flexible" Mot workshops!

MOT History - pd

It is useful, particularly for checking mileage, but don't get too caught up in it.

The most important thing is THE CONDITION THE IS CAR IS IN AT THE POINT YOU BUY IT not 30,000 miles previously. It can have full history and 12 MOTs without advisories, if it has 4 low tyres, knackered brakes and goes into limp mode every 50 miles it isn't a good buy.

As one car manufacturer once said, history is often bunk so use it as a guide and in particular use the last MOT it had to direct you towards what might need doing soon but equally don't get too caught up in the fact that a car you are looking at now with 80k on the clock failed a MOT in 2012 at 30k on some brakes and tyres.

The amount of info now available can make us a bit lazy, the reality is that used cars really still need to be judged in the metal to get a proper idea which takes leg work and it can't be avoided.

MOT History - Galaxy

It does make me smile, though, when I'm looking through the MOT history of a particularly car which has been advertised something like "Full service history and maintained regardless of cost" and see the same advisories coming up year after year! Bit of a giveaway, that!

MOT History - Fishermans Bend

Maintained regardless of cost to a point. Some advisories don't need doing, no point in wasting money for nothing. Father in law's Merc is fastidiously maintained but if his garage says the advisories don't need doing, he doesn't. He'll still change the oil every 5,000 and filter.

MOT History - Wackyracer

and see the same advisories coming up year after year! Bit of a giveaway, that!

I had the same advisory for Offside Front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment (2.5.A.1c) for 2 years in a row, both times I brought the car home and found nothing wrong when I checked it myself. Then the next year they didn't put it on the certificate and haven't since. I've even had the front struts off and changed the shock absorbers and put the original top bearings back on.

MOT testers do get it wrong sometimes.

MOT History - scot22

I assume that advisory means that you are advised to get it done. If it doesn't matter why advise to get it done ? I always have any advisories done. Maybe I'm too careful, but I'd rather be that.

My concern is that if an owner has neglected to look after the car then it is a risk to buy it.

MOT History - Theophilus

I assume that advisory means that you are advised to get it done. If it doesn't matter why advise to get it done ? I always have any advisories done. Maybe I'm too careful, but I'd rather be that.

A little common sense is sometimes in order with "advisories" ... a few years ago I took my 7 seat Toyota Verso for an MOT and when collecting it was given a couple of advisories, one that there was a Sat-Nav adhesive disc on the front windscreen (not in line of sight) and the second that the vehicle appeared to have seat belts in the back but no seats - the third row seats were folded forward into the floor.

MOT History - brum

Fast fit places that offer cheap mots do put down tyre/brake/exhaust advisories as a matter of habit. Upselling.... the mot tester and branch manager get monthly bonuses on sales raised.

My skoda dealer puts a ridiculous number of trivial advisories on in the hope of ££££. Cracks in reflectors, theres always a minor leak in the exhaust somewhere, you name it, they try it on. Its never the same advisory the following year. They are the only place that consistently fail cars on front wheel bearings "rough to rotate". This year I have had enough of their sharp p ractices and checked the removed item (hub/ bearing} and found it was perfect. But you cannot argue with the " opinion of the tester"

Im going back to my almost full priced independent. At least he's honest and not out to screw me.

MOT History - Wackyracer

A little common sense is sometimes in order

Unfortunately, it is something that isn't that common.

I've come across quite a few MOT testers (and VOSA's own in house testers) that don't have the ability to read and understand the MOT or SVA guidelines, so they make up their own definitions of what is right and what is wrong.

MOT History - Andrew-T

Some advisories mean that although the work isn't needed NOW to pass the test, it may well be needed before the next one. An obvious example is wearing tyres.

MOT History - barney100

i have an app called 'vehicle smart' gives you mot info on any car...why it failed if applicable... mileage. i'm going to check out any future car before I buy it.

MOT History - scot22

Thanks for these posts - not for the first time I've had to revise my thoughts. I know I can be obsessive but realise that sometimes it can be misplaced.

I also appreciate the courtesy in how views have been expressed. It makes it so much easier to think about what is posted.

MOT History - brum

Barney, You dont need any ad laden, privacy invasive tracking app. As stated earlier its all on an official gov website link here

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Edited by brum on 25/03/2017 at 20:49

MOT History - scot22

Meant to ask - has anyone experience of RAC or AA vehicle checks ? are they of value ? Thanks

MOT History - Bromptonaut

Advisories on my old Berlingo have included:

Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay

front wheel trim missing

damage to nearside front wing & door

Wet test!!

The latter apparently means the car had arrived/been tested with wheels/underbody soaked which might make oil leaks less evident. The damage to door was a scrape due misjudging a low wall on a car park. Not in any way significant.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/03/2017 at 11:20

MOT History - FoxyJukebox

Yes indeed --very useful--especially when browsing any car for sale on a website or via a dealer, I always go straight to the number plate--then key in the info for a proper MOT report. If the number plate is blinded out--I move on! I am also suspicious if the car is not taxed or has had tax gaps.

One aspect that does worry me more and more though--is the tendency of those tied to PCP contracts to have had only one service ( if that!) done over their 3 years of "ownership". It's quite possible to be blinded by a fuzzy long term service plan ( car to be serviced 25,000 miles or 15 months etc etc)-. As Honest John has preached more than a million times-service a car once a year--whatever themileage.

MOT History - RT

Yes indeed --very useful--especially when browsing any car for sale on a website or via a dealer, I always go straight to the number plate--then key in the info for a proper MOT report. If the number plate is blinded out--I move on! I am also suspicious if the car is not taxed or has had tax gaps.

One aspect that does worry me more and more though--is the tendency of those tied to PCP contracts to have had only one service ( if that!) done over their 3 years of "ownership". It's quite possible to be blinded by a fuzzy long term service plan ( car to be serviced 25,000 miles or 15 months etc etc)-. As Honest John has preached more than a million times-service a car once a year--whatever themileage.

Nothing to do with PCP - it's probably true for almost all new cars, however funded - 20,000 miles or 2 years is there to suit the fleets but most private buyers planning to trade-in at 3 years follow that as well - in both cases they regard "lack" of maintenance as not a problem for them.

Those of us buying "keepers" generally adopt 10,000 miles or 1 year but these cars aren't sold on - so any used car is a potential money pit.

MOT History - FoxyJukebox

Well yes RT--i guess you're right there re the PCP's----so here's a question -if buying under 3 years old-how can i be sure that an "Approved Used" car has been properly maintained?...a friend had recently bought an 18 month old XXX with 19,000 miles on the clock that was sold with a "100 point pre-delivery check"( ha ha --pull the other one--!) and he was quite happy-tll i pointed out to him--via his service book that his lovely Approved Used had never had an oil change

MOT History - RT

Well yes RT--i guess you're right there re the PCP's----so here's a question -if buying under 3 years old-how can i be sure that an "Approved Used" car has been properly maintained?...a friend had recently bought an 18 month old XXX with 19,000 miles on the clock that was sold with a "100 point pre-delivery check"( ha ha --pull the other one--!) and he was quite happy-tll i pointed out to him--via his service book that his lovely Approved Used had never had an oil change

You can't be SURE.

2 years ago, I sourced a first car for my daughter-in-law who had just passed her test - a year old Hyundai i30 registered to ERAC (Enterprise Rent A Car) - I saw it as it arrived at the dealers unprepared and unserviced but looked in good condition, just a couple of scratches on the plastic bumpers the dealer agreed to sort out as well as them servicing it - I took great trouble to ensure it was still covered by the full 5-year Hyundai warranty despite having been a rental car so any issues will be down to Hyundai - it's been absolutely trouble-free for the 2 years.

My view is that franchised dealers get first choice of nearly new cars of the same franchise - so a Hyundai at a Hyundai dealer, Ford at a Ford dealer, gives you a fighting chance - if a used car is being sold elsewhere you really do need your wits about you.

MOT History - pd

There is a big difference between a car which has done 20k miles and only had one or no service and one which has done 120k and only been serviced every 25k or so.

Most cars can, frankly, easily take a bit of a late service or one gap without any consequences at all but if this goes on for years and years it will eventually take its toll...