Skoda Fabia Mk 2 1.2 Petrol - Over-Revving, Bad Consumption - AndySt

My skoda fabia petrol has started over-revving when warm. It seems to push the car along even when I take my foot off the accelerator. When I touch the accelerator very slightly the over-revving stops briefly and then starts again after a few minutes.

When I stop and put into neutral the engine is revving very loudly and there is a very bad smell like paint stripper, the rev counter climbs up to 2500 rpm and then gradually goes down to 2000 and back up again.

The car used quarter of a tank of petrol on a 30 mile journey but the fuel consumption computer showed 56 mpg, when normally it is around 39 mpg. The exhaust system warning light is on.

When I switch off the ignition, the car will not start again until the engine is cold.

My local garage looked at the fault code and said an 'upstream lambda sensor' was the problem. Does that make sense? I had a problem last year with a lambda sensor and the symptoms of that were that it wouldn't start when hot. It wasn't doing all this other weird stuff that it is now.

Skoda Fabia Mk 2 1.2 Petrol - Over-Revving, Bad Consumption - elekie&a/c doctor

'upstream lambda sensor' was the problem?Is that a guess,or have they done any tests to confirm the fault? I would think it very unlikely that this is the fault .I think I would be taking a close look at the engine temperature sensor values,to see if the figures are within spec. Presumably there is adequate coolant in the engine.

Skoda Fabia Mk 2 1.2 Petrol - Over-Revving, Bad Consumption - AndySt

They haven't done any tests. Just ordered the part based on fault code and booked me in for next Wednesday to replace it.

Skoda Fabia Mk 2 1.2 Petrol - Over-Revving, Bad Consumption - Railroad.

They haven't done any tests. Just ordered the part based on fault code and booked me in for next Wednesday to replace it.

Don't expect them to cure it then. Just because an O2 sensor fault code is stored does NOT mean the O2 sensor is the problem. In fact it most likely isn't. Try giving the throttle body a thorough clean, and get someone with VCDS to perform basic settings to recalibrate it.