Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - Routemaster93
Ok I passed my full UK car driving test in 2005, in 2008 I passed a bus and lorry driving test.

I decided it would save me money and be easier if I got myself a little moped to drive to the bus depot and let my missus drive my car while I'm at work. Great what could be simpler than that? So I enquired and found that I have to pass a test to ride a little hair drier on wheels! Had I passed my driving test before 1/2/2001 I'd not need to do this compulsory training!

It's clearly a stupid rule. In any case how is someone who passed their car test before 31/1/2001 magically more competent to ride a moped, but if you passed it after 2/2/2001 you're classed as incompetent to ride without training??? Typical government stupidity! Or is it to make more money? No doubt that's a factor.

I've been driving for over 10 years, I can drive a 15 metre long bus and an 18 wheel lorry, Yet I need training to ride a hair drier moped on wheels! I've not ever had a single penalty point to my name!

I mean is it not better to encourage more car drivers on to mopeds to reduce congestion and pollution? Surely having to take training, book time off for that course and pull out money etc is going to deter drivers from getting a moped. And is it fair that other drivers are excuse this expense and fuss? Why can't they just let all car drivers ride a moped without this fuss or at least those who've held a car licence for at least 2 or 3 years?

In Ireland you can ride a moped on a car licence as you can in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and most European countries.

Well done for losing the common sense award DVLA!

Edited by Routemaster93 on 10/12/2016 at 22:13

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - bathtub tom

Ever thought about a push bike?..........................;>)

Seriously though, it's a damn sight warmer pedalling in cold weather than sitting still out in the open.

I'll agree that motorcycle licence rules are confusing, but I guess they're there to prevent more young idiots killing themselves. I passed my test in the '60s (as a 16-year-old) on a 200cc machine and can now ride anything. Can you imagine someone my age handling 100+BHP on two wheels?

I'd like to see every young driver use a small motrcycle or moped for a year, just to teach them about handling, grip and control before letting them in an isulated tin box (if they survived).

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - Defactio

It always confuses me that people seem to think that the smaller the size of the vehicle means that they can't create just as much death and carnage.

A pedestrian or cyclist can kill just as many car drivers, as a car driver can.

No-one should be able to jump on any vehicle (regardless of size) without taking a road-use test - including cyclists.

I've heard many motorcyclists say "car drivers should first be forced to ride a motorcycle for 6 months", and I agree that this would cut road-deaths, however, it's completely unrealistic (a lot of car drivers couldn't physically ride a motorcycle).

One person I know failed her CBT 5 times, due to complete lack of co-ordination, yet she had a full car drivers license!

A general 'rule-of-thumb' is that it is impossible to 'fail' a CBT - unless you keep dropping the bike (which she did).

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - focussed

A low-powered two wheeler is entirely a different propostion to a bus, lorry or car.

You might think you know all about it, but wait 'till you get on those two wheels in heavy traffic with not enough power to keep up.

Take your CBT with a decent riding school, keep an open mind and learn as much as you can from the instructors, it might just keep you alive.

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - Routemaster93

A low-powered two wheeler is entirely a different propostion to a bus, lorry or car.

You might think you know all about it, but wait 'till you get on those two wheels in heavy traffic with not enough power to keep up.

Take your CBT with a decent riding school, keep an open mind and learn as much as you can from the instructors, it might just keep you alive.

True but a lot of good pedal cyclists can ride faster than 30mph especially down hill, without the need for mandatory training or even the Highway Code knowledge of a car driver. Many are kids under 16. At least people who have the experience of driving a car know what to do at roundabouts, busy traffic junctions etc. They know rules regarding drink and drug driving too. For an experienced car driver there is not really much more they need to know when riding a little automatic twist and go moped. A lot of the CBT course covers what car drivers already know. Im certainly confident that people riding a moped untrained with good experience at driving a car are far safer than the many people riding a pedal bike in busy traffic many of whom are children who have no formal road experience and often without any adequate safety gear. Cycling safety gear such as cycle helmets and Lycra don't offer anywhere near the protection that motorcycle leathers and a proper mandatory motorbike helmet does.
Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - ExA35Owner
Well done for losing the common sense award DVLA!

It's not DVLA, of course. They are following the legislation that Parliament has passed. You could follow the evidence trail back from the legislation to Hansard to see what was said about this decision at the time, and the reasoning behind it.

However it seems unreasonable that people who had the moped on their licences before the due date, but never used the entitlement, retain it.

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - Bromptonaut

It's not DVLA, of course. They are following the legislation that Parliament has passed. You could follow the evidence trail back from the legislation to Hansard to see what was said about this decision at the time, and the reasoning behind it.

However it seems unreasonable that people who had the moped on their licences before the due date, but never used the entitlement, retain it.

There is a general principle that people who have rights to drive a particular type of vehicle will not have that taken away by subsequent changes in rules. They are known as 'grandfather rights'. Having passed the test in 1977 I have, as well as the moped rights in this thread, permission to drive various forms of minibus provided I'm not doing it for hire/reward. Would check before doing so but I think that applies to vehicles up to 16 seats.

I can also tow eg a caravan. Current outfit is under 3tonnes gross train weight and I *think* my kids who passed post 2010 could use it. But I can go to considersbly higher weights - eg double axle van towed with a Land Cruiser.

In practice I did some training before buying the 'van and would do same if I took leave of my senses and wanted a moped.

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - NARU

As a biker of many years, I fully support all riders doing a CBT before they go out on the road.

The aim is to give you tools to help you stay alive.

Given that bikers are about 17* times more likely to die on the roads, giving every one of them some basic tools seems a very appropriate response.

(* that's from memory, and I believe it takes account of the fact that bikes/mopeds typically do fewer miles in a year).

As for the 'grandfather rights' aspect, how else would you do it? Any other approach mkaes someone who is driving legally today, suddenly into a law breaker. If they were already riding a moped, and hadn't yet been squashed, then they were probably doing OK. THe priority was helping people who were about to buy their first moped.

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - NARU

PS. When I did my CBT, I was part of a group. Some had been riding a while, some had never ridden before. All the group except one passed our CBT in a day. I think the last one took three days, and we all hoped (for her own safety) that she would rethink the idea of getting a bike licence.

You used to have to repeat your CBT every couple of years if you hadn't passed a bike test. I don't know if that's still the case? It didn't apply to me as I immediately went on to become one of the last to pass my test on a 125 and get a full unrestricted bike licence.

My brother-in-law, who passed on a 125 at about the same time as me, went out and bought a ducati 916 the next day. He nearly killed himself, and had given up biking within about three months. I went the more sensible route and gradually built up my skill.

Edited by Marlot on 11/12/2016 at 06:08

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - RT

Despite having several grandfather rights, I don't think they're a good idea.

All my early caravanning was done with outfits (car + caravan) which would fit the 3,500 kg outfit limit which new B-only licence holders still get now - but I'm still permitted to tow with a 7,000 kg outfit or drive a 7,500kg truck.

I currently hold C1E and D1, despite never having taken a medical and I'll relinquish soon as I doubt I'd pass at age 70.

Having passed my motorbike test on a 8hp Lambretta, I'm licenced to ride any size/power bike - I don't plan to ride a bike but if I did I'd start again with CBT.

Rather than permitting grandfather rights, they should offer a "fast-track" test for those who regularly drove vehicles in those groups before restrictions came in

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - FoxyJukebox

Absolutely lethal in icy weather, the rear wheel drive will not necessarily pitch you into the left hand side of the road, thus expect to be thrown facing oncoming trafic. .....

Buy a bike.

Car drivers have to pass a test to ride moped? - Andrew-T
It's clearly a stupid rule.

I don't think it is. For one thing (maybe the most significant) you don't have to worry about falling over, and unprotected, when driving your bus. It's a bit like saying you can run miles at 15mph, so you should be able to ski, right?

It may seem irritating not to be able to drive anything a lot smaller than a bus, but it does make sense.