Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Avant

Skidpan's guessing game as to his new car was good fun, so let's have another.

We've come to realise that SWMBO's Mini Cooper Roadster, good car that it is in its own right, isn't ideal for what we need it for in semi-retirement in Dorset. What we need now for a second car is:

- Small, nippy, easy to park and fun to drive on local journeys (mostly between 4 and 10 miles each way) but also with a big enough engine with sufficient oomph to hit the A303 and motorways (she is still doing some Reading-based work although most is from home)

- Up to £20,000

- Petrol, manual

- 5 doors (this is a friendly village community and people give each other lifts, and she doesn't like driving my automatic Volvo)

- Satnav, lumbar support, heated front seats and a spare wheel, although we don't mind if these are options.

She's made a choice - any guesses as to what we've ordered?

(Clue - it's not another Mini: a 5-door Mini would have ticked most of the boxes, but the rear doors are as the Scots say 'awfu' wee').

Edited by Avant on 09/12/2016 at 20:25

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - SLO76
New or used?

Sorry - good question. New.

Got to be a Golf...
Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Fishermans Bend

Jeep Renegade? Audi A1? VW Golf? Perhaps not the latter because I wouldn't exactly call it small.

Edited by Fishermans Bend on 09/12/2016 at 22:06

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - skidpan

Hyundai i20. The 120 PS turbo petrol fits the brief perfectly, under £15000 at broker prices for the top model. Just not sure about lumbar and heated seats being standard or even options.

BMW 218i SE Nav. Again perfect but the price (even from brokers) is just north of £20k without lumbar, heated seats and spare.

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Brit_in_Germany

Alfa Giulietta.

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Wackyracer

Ssangyong Tivoli.

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - 72 dudes

Skoda Fabia VRs or Polo GTi

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - primus 1

Fiesta ecoboost ?

Mazda 3, CX3?
Which car has SWMBO chosen? - nailit

VW Polo is my guess as my SWMBO chose one, but no specific engine (and not sure about lumbar support/adjustment)

Edited by nailit on 10/12/2016 at 15:18

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - concrete

Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost. The daughter loved hers, although now has a 1.0 Ecoboost Focus for extra room. Great engine.

It's the easy to park bit, even the small cars have poor visibility when it comes to parking so I guess SWMBO would want sensors.

If Ford does not appeal then I would go for a Fabia or a Golf.

Cheers Concrete

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Steveieb
Got to be the Audi A1 for the prestige badge and beutiful looks and finish.But the Polo Gti for performance and nimble handling.
If she is into residuals the first choice has got to be the A1
Seat Leon?

Avant, how long are you going to keep us in suspense?

I'll let you know later this evenong, in case anyone else wants to have a go.

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - John F

Has anyone got it right yet? (I'm not guessing as I know nothing much about new small cars apart from their powertrains)

Congratulations to SteveieB and Fisherman's Bend - it's an A1. 5-door A1 Sport 1.4 TFSI to be precise.

We were looking around and getting together a shortlist with a view to changing around March. Poole Audi (much keener to sell than Yeovil Audi) have a special stock-shifting offer on at the moment, and we thought we'd go and look at an A3. SWMBO fancied a little more space than there is in her Mini, so we'd thought that the A1 would be too cramped.

Not at all: she found the seat suited her better than the A3 and even the higher-up Q2 (and the Q2 being a new model isn't being discounted). And to drive it was exactly what we want - much nippier from low revs than the Mini and what seems like a good balance between ride and handling. It's in stock somewhere in the UK so delivery should be weeks rather than months as for a factory order, which we wouldn't have minded.

Because we were both so happy with the A1, we went for it before trying too many others. But we thought seriously about:

VW Polo - would be a 1.2 and the PCP deals would cost as much if not more than for the A1 (probably because A1s hold their value better); and I have a rooted objection to VW's stingy one-year breakdown cover when Audi, SEAT and Skoda all offer three.

VW Up - the new 89 bhp turbo version, but I asked two dealers to let me know when a demonstrator was available but neither has.

Renault Captur - new 1.2 manual - same lack of response from two dealers. Maybe it really isn't in yet. We tried a 1.5 diesel: great driving position but not a ball of fire. Some very tacky trim inside.

Mini Clubman - a bit big and definitely too expensive - and after six Minis SWMBO is ready for a change!

SEAT Leon - smaller than the A3 and I think we'd have liked it, but we didn't get round to testing one. Same applies to the Fiesta 1.0, but residual values and rumours abourt problems with this engine are against it.

The A1 ticked the boxes and then some - so we feel fairly confident we've got it right.

Thanks to all for being interested enough to guess.

Edit - we didn't try any Peugeots or Citroens: although HJ speaks highly of the 1.2 petrol engine, I'm not prepared to buy any car which makes you fiddle with a touchscreen to change the temperature inside the car. Dangerous.

Edited by Avant on 11/12/2016 at 21:38

Good choice, aometimes when you find a car you like it's a bit pointless looking at others.

Good choice, rather like the A1. I'm keen on the idea of the 1.0 turbocharged UP! too, might replace our Polo with one next year. Reached that age when money needs spending. It'll need T/belt, tyres and rear shoes at next service plus exhaust doesn't look like it's got a long life ahead.
Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Steveieb
All along I knew Mrs A would be almost as car savvy as her husband. Brilliant choice which will repay you much better when it is time to change.

Edit - we didn't try any Peugeots or Citroens: although HJ speaks highly of the 1.2 petrol engine, I'm not prepared to buy any car which makes you fiddle with a touchscreen to change the temperature inside the car. Dangerous.

Really? We hired a new Peugeot 2008 a few weeks ago and thought the rough 3cyl petrol sounded like a diesel until it was cruising steadily. There was no touchscreen for the aircon, just the usual knobs and buttons.

The 1.5 diesel in a new Fiesta we hired a few weeks earlier was smoother, and felt like a petrol engine! Better mpg too.

Avant

I presume its the 125 PS engine fitted to the sport spec model. It should be perfectly matched to the size of the car. If its got the 150 PS engine it will be a real rocket.

If I had been in the market for another car that was Leon/Golf size it would almost certainly have been the A3. It seems to me that Audi have got the specs much more logically sorted than the equivalent Golf. Cheaper than the Golf with the same engine but only a little dearer than the Leon FR.

Really? We hired a new Peugeot 2008 a few weeks ago and thought the rough 3cyl petrol sounded like a diesel until it was cruising steadily. There was no touchscreen for the aircon, just the usual knobs and buttons.

On the 308 (and 308 SW) only the models with full climate get the dangerous controls via the touuchscreen. Whoever decided it was a good idea to adjust interior temp via a selection of menus instead of a knob should be flogged at dawn.

Avant

I presume its the 125 PS engine fitted to the sport spec model. It should be perfectly matched to the size of the car.

The engine might be, but I'm not sure about the DSG gearbox. I am astonished that the new 7 speed 'S-tronic' for Mrs Avant's hot-hatch apparently weighs the same as two normal sized blokes. By contrast, Ford/Getrag's equivalent 'powershift' offering for small cars is less than half its weight at less than 70Kg.

Indeed it's the 125, Skidpan: very lively in that little body. You can get the 150 but only in S-line trim which is otherwise mainly cosmetic apart from even stiffer suspension and lower-profile tyres, neither of which we wanted.

If we'd gone for the A3 we would have had the 150, almost certainly. A Polo would have been next to look at - but I don't think I'd have got as good a deal as with the A1. We're starting with a PCP which we may pay off at some point if we can afford it, and Audis hold their value better than VWs so you get a better deal.

SWMBO doesn't like automatics so the A1 is a 6-speed manual; therefore no worries about 7-speed DSG. (I hadn't realised it weighed so much more - interesting.) I like my automatic for long jourmeys and in traffic, but for local running I too prefer a manual.

I'm not sure what we'd have done if SWMBO had wanted an automatic. TC autos are pretty lead-footed when coupled with engines under 2 litres (at least in my experience - anyone is welcome to disagree); and I wouldn't trust a dual-clitch transmission unless I could guarantee that I could afford to change the car within 3 years.

Maybe a Leaf or Zoe would have been worth a look - but resale values are horrendous.

"Maybe a Leaf or Zoe would have been worth a look - but resale values are horrendous."

Getting temptingly cheap used and aside from costly battery fears there's not much in the way of moving parts to go wrong really.

We looked at a Zoe before buying a 1.2 TDi Polo as a second car and found it was a very surprisingly pleasant wee car in every way but the range wasn't close to what was advertised unless you're prepared to hold up HGV's in the slow lane on every trip.

If they really want to get the electric revolution started though they need to subsidise the cost of replacing batteries or the crippling depreciation will kill it stone dead. We all know battery powered electrical goods are next to useless at 5yrs plus and the battery packs in cars are largely the same tech.

Bit confused here:

Avant said in the original post

- Petrol, manual

And when he announced to the world what the car actually was he said

- it's an A1. 5-door A1 Sport 1.4 TFSI to be precise

Nowhere on the thread did he mention an automatic so why go on about the weight of the DSG box, its irrelevant.

TC autos are pretty lead-footed when coupled with engines under 2 litres (at least in my experience - anyone is welcome to disagree)

Totally agree with that. But on all auto’s regardless of engine size I hate the way the revs shoot up as soon as you breath on the throttle and then some (most) boxes spend the next few seconds debating what gear to use. Any overtaking opportunity is long gone. Only slight exception was a three speed semi auto Hondamatic dad had in the early 80’s. 3 speed marked “L” “*” and “OD” (I think), used a torque converter but the driver decided which gear to use. “L” was rarely (if ever) needed, “*” took you all round town and up to max speed and “OD” was best selected once on the open road with a drop to “*” for overtaking. Still had the normal TC slip but at least you were in the correct gear - well you were if you had 1/2 a brain cell.

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - concrete

Congratulations Avant. A happy SWMBO is rare gift indeed. You should now be basking in the reflected glow of several million house points!!

Cheers Concrete

Which car has SWMBO chosen? - Smileyman

It's difficult .... couple of months ago I test drove the Peugeot 308, I too did not like the way the touch screen operated, much prefer one touch buttons that can be adjusted by reaching out the arm and knowing where they are without having to look and check what is being done .... but the 308 does come with a proper spare wheel, and two rear foglights / reversing lights not singles that do half the job and look stupid .....