Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - Phil Jenkins

Hi,

I am looking at a motorhome at the moment and have done some background checks. The vehicle is advertised as 67,500 miles but when I look on the MOT History gov.uk site it is listed as 103,000 miles? I queried this with the dealer and he explained that odometer is reading 103,000 KM (it is an import) and if you convert 103,000km to Miles = 67,500.

BUT the official MOT (still valid) shows 103,000 miles. Cock-up at the MOT station? MOT system unable to cope with KM?

Can this be fixed at the next MOT due 5th Feb 2017? Or should I walk away?

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - SLO76
Does the mileage tally with the previous Mots, what were they? Sounds very plausible to me and should be easy enough to verify from past mileages recorded assuming its had more than one Mot...
Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - RaineMan

Have you taken it for a test drive? If you go with the flow in a built-up area and the Speedo reads around 50 rather than 30 it is metric. Dealer converting to miles sounds fair enough as 100,000 in an advert would make many turn the page before taking in it is kilometres.

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - elekie&a/c doctor

The Mot can easily cope with the odometer in miles or Km. It is the responsibility of the tester to enter the correct info in the correct box.

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - Wackyracer

I had this with my Toyota that I imported from Japan. sometimes the tester would change it to KM's on the test certificate and other times not. So I'd say the seller is possibly telling the truth.

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - Vitesse6

I have an imported motorhome with a Km speedo with an overlay to show mph. The odometer is in Km and the MOTs show the Km figure. Hasn't been a problem to me at all, and as the motorhome is left hand drive it makes continental use much easier and safer.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - Phil Jenkins

Not taken it for a test drive yet, good point though as I am hoping the speedo will show 50kmph as well as 30mph else my brain will not compute what speed I am doing...

Checked the MOT history and first MOT shows as 96,239KM in 2013 (presumbably when it was imported as this is the first MOT). Then after that the MOT mileage increases as years go by but from then on they are in Miles with the latest at 103,000 miles instead of KM.

So looks like all the MOT testers can't convert KM to Miles or type KM instead of Miles.

It is advertised as a V Reg as year of manufacture was 2000.

What is also spining me out is what is the VED (tax) - the CO2 is showing as 0g/km and registered as 2013, cars registered after 2001 have VED based on CO2 output so that would mean the VED is £0. But year of manufacture is 2000 and using that value it would be £235.00. Can't see me being that lucky and paying £0 VED for a 2000 vehicle - call to DVLA to confirm probably

Mercedes-Benz Vito - MOT in Miles - Odometer in KM and does not tally? - Wackyracer

It won't be free. Most likely be done on year of manufacture so maybe £235 for vehicles over 1549cc?