Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Fishermans Bend

Next generation Quoshki and Xstrail to be built at Sunderland. Announced by BBc and all good motoring websites.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - focussed

Either they have been assured that Brexit isn't going to happen or, they have been indemnified by the UK government against any EU tariff costs on their exports to Europe.

It would be interesting to know how much £ could be involved - to be paid by the taxpayer of course- but naturally we will never be told.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - RobJP

Either they have been assured that Brexit isn't going to happen or, they have been indemnified by the UK government against any EU tariff costs on their exports to Europe.

It would be interesting to know how much £ could be involved - to be paid by the taxpayer of course- but naturally we will never be told.

Or, for those less conspiracy-minded, maybe they've just decided it makes good business sense.

But hell, why let the most logical expanation get in the way of all those ridiculous fantasies !

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - SLO76
It's great news but an undisclosed tax payer funded deal was done to offset the risk of tariffs being imposed if we do leave without gaining an EEA style deal similar to Norway, which entails free movement and almost the same contribution to the EU budget we were making as a full member in order to gain tariff free access to the EU marketplace. Yet we would no longer have any say over EU policy which is now likely to lurch to the left without the central right UK gov, damaging their economic performance further and thus hurting our own which is very much reliant on the EU.

Current EU tariffs of cars imported from outside the EU stand at 10% and even the mighty and much larger US and Japanese based exporters must pay this so a fully out the door UK would too. Forget all the fantasy about the UK receiving special treatment, there are far larger economies in the world who don't.

However we will also impose tariffs on imports from the EU which could be used to offer compensating tax breaks to industry, this would likely see some form of retaliatory action from over the channel however and we as consumers will see substantial price rises even without factoring in the drop in value of Sterling.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm no fan of the inefficient and interfering big government style of the EU but I'd rather be able to influence it from within than rely on it without any ability to from outside.

It's all very much still up in the air but all of the recent posts and stories from pro Brexit supporters claiming the UK is thriving outside the EU are sadly nonsense as we haven't left yet, we've not even picked up the keys to the door. The real story will come when buisiness knows the full outcome and that won't happen until article 50 has been invoked and negotiations concluded. in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINL8N1C54KI

Edited by SLO76 on 27/10/2016 at 15:58

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - concrete

Like RobJP I take this good news at face value. I would refer anyone to the well researched article in the Telegraph of a couple of weeks ago regarding the motor manufacturing industry throughout Europe. Basically it concludes that the import/export of parts and completed cars virtually cancels itself out in terms of cost, even with currency fluctuations, so no fear there. Also hedging and future buying policies will cushion any financial blow for a rerasonable period, which should allow for withdrawal from the EU. It also conludes that the manufacturing and assembly plants in the UK are the most efficient in Europe and that transferring production to a French, Spanish or even German plant would increase vehicle costs by at least 5 to 6%, not very welcome for any international business. So Nissan have looked at the situation and decided, quite rightly to continue with their excellent facility near Sunderland. Good news all round I say.

Cheers Concrete

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Engineer Andy
Don't get me wrong here, I'm no fan of the inefficient and interfering big government style of the EU but I'd rather be able to influence it from within than rely on it without any ability to from outside.

What influence? We've had precious little of that over the years.

Raising trade barriers isn't in the rest of the EU's interests when it comes to the UK - we are a HUGE net importer from the continent, so we would gain hugely if tarriffs were imposed. I don't want that to happen, and no doubt, nor do the German government, who nowadays are pulling the (purse) strings of the 'Project' given none of the others have much left in the kitty, if at all. The UK is Germany's second largest export market for their cars, don't forget (if I recall correctly).

What influence? We've had precious little of that over the years.

Official EU voting records* show that the British government voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix. In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%. There was a great deal of misinformation and confusion regarding Britain's influence within the EU. Truth is, we got our way vastly more often than not. Sadly too many refused to research the truth. Now in order to gain tariff free access we will have to accept rules and regulation dictated to us by a government we're no longer part of and will have zero influence over. It would be suicide for the EU to grant Britain a preferential status... Everyone else would head for the door too collapsing the whole thing. No matter how you feel about that Turkey's don't vote for Christmas.

I doubt that in the event of a full Brexit, Nissan has decided to swallow a 10% tariff or import tax on cars made in the UK and exported to the the EU and call it "good business sense".

Because the immediate consequence of the UK leaving the EU would be just that - they will be treated the same as Japan or the US - a 10 % tariff.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - RT

I doubt that in the event of a full Brexit, Nissan has decided to swallow a 10% tariff or import tax on cars made in the UK and exported to the the EU and call it "good business sense".

Because the immediate consequence of the UK leaving the EU would be just that - they will be treated the same as Japan or the US - a 10 % tariff.

Who agreed 10% - that's simply the WTO tariff if NO agreement can be reached - since the UK is a net importer of goods from the EU, a high tariff will hit Europeans more than us so the prospect of a low agreed tariff is very good - I doubt it'll be 0% on principle but not far above.

Who agreed 10% - that's simply the WTO tariff if NO agreement can be reached - since the UK is a net importer of goods from the EU, a high tariff will hit Europeans more than us so the prospect of a low agreed tariff is very good - I doubt it'll be 0% on principle but not far above.

The EU import around double the amount of goods in value from China than they export yet still the Chinese must pay those tariffs. The UK won't get better terms here. Why would you think otherwise?

Edited by SLO76 on 28/10/2016 at 09:42

The EU import around double the amount of goods in value from China than they export yet still the Chinese must pay those tariffs. The UK won't get better terms here. Why would you think otherwise?

The EU puts the 10% tariff on Chinese goods and keeps that as taxation income - just as any agreed tariff on EU goods imported into the UK would be kept by us as taxation income - the fact that Chinese exports to the EU and EU exports to the UK are both higher than exports the other way, means that a high tariff is a bonus not a penalty.

The EU puts the 10% tariff on Chinese goods and keeps that as taxation income - just as any agreed tariff on EU goods imported into the UK would be kept by us as taxation income - the fact that Chinese exports to the EU and EU exports to the UK are both higher than exports the other way, means that a high tariff is a bonus not a penalty.

A bonus to government revenues maybe, in the short term but not a bonus to the actual private sector economy or the public who'll end up paying higher prices for goods that have these tariffs imposed. This will damage economic activity as tax rises always do and ultimately reduce tax revenues in the longterm.

A bonus to government revenues maybe, in the short term but not a bonus to the actual private sector economy or the public who'll end up paying higher prices for goods that have these tariffs imposed. This will damage economic activity as tax rises always do and ultimately reduce tax revenues in the longterm.

If that reduces imports and increases home production, then it's a good thing

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Bianconeri

Or, for those less conspiracy-minded, maybe they've just decided it makes good business sense.

But hell, why let the most logical expanation get in the way of all those ridiculous fantasies !

Absolutely spot on. Why the sour grapes "blame everything on Brexit" brigade can't just get on with things instead of spending vast amounts of time and intellectual (?) capital blaming the MAJORITY who voted "out" is beyond me. Listening to Bliar on R4 this morning was like a throwback to the 1960s.

Edited by Bianconeri on 28/10/2016 at 10:54

Neither - they've simply been reassured that the UK government will negotiate the best possible deal for the whole automobile industry in the UK.

Don't forget that a high tariff affecting UK-built cars sold in Europe will hit EU-built cars sold in the UK more as the UK is a net importer.

It's often stated that the UK is more important to the EU than they are to us. The truth is somewhat different however.

Approximately 44% of the UK’s exports go to other EU countries, while somewhere between 8-17% of exports from other EU countries go to the UK (depending on how you measure it). Clearly the truth is losing tariff free access to the EU would affect us to a far greater extent than the rest of the EU.
Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Fishermans Bend
www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/nissa.../ What will the UK Government offer to Nissan?

The Government has declined to specify the details of its support; Ghosn had wanted assurances there would be compensation for any tariffs imposed on UK-built cars post-Brexit.

Colin Lawther, a senior Nissan Europe official, told the BBC Nissan had received 'no special deal... We would expect nothing for us that the rest of the industry wouldn't be able to have access to. We see this as a whole industry thing, not a Nissan thing.'

Carlos Ghosn on the UK decision

'The support and assurances of the UK Government enabled us to decide that the next-generation Qashqai and X-Trail will be produced at Sunderland,' said Ghosn. 'I welcome British Prime Minister Theresa May’s commitment to the automotive industry in Britain and to the development of an overall industrial strategy.'

Nissan is the biggest car maker in the UK, 7000 staff producing one in three new cars built in Britain every year. It has built 9 million cars in Sunderland and invested £3.7 billion in the plant since 1986.

A further 28,000 jobs are supported in the UK supply chain.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - colinh

Another nibble at the mythical NHS £350 million per week

A Government minister refused six times to say what post-Brexit financial help Nissan has been promised to build its new cars at its flagship Sunderland plant.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-niss...l

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - RobJP

A Government minister refused six times to say what post-Brexit financial help Nissan has been promised to build its new cars at its flagship Sunderland plant.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-niss...l

I note that the article you quote doesn't mention any of the ACTUAL questions or the supposedly 'evasive' answers given. Convenient, that, iusn't it. Just remember that the independent is left-wing AND pro-EU, and view any article accordingly. They might not lie, but, like any paper, they will put their own slant and bias into an article.

You appear utterly convinced in your belief, and unwilling to accept any possible alternative explanation.

I prefer to get my news from the BBC. Whilst they might not be impartial, at least they try to be, unlike any of the newspaper websites.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37795464

The boss of Nissan Europe stating that it is "no special deal".

"It's just a commitment from the government to work with the whole of the automotive industry to make sure the whole automotive industry in the UK remains competitive," he told the BBC.

"We would expect nothing for us that the rest of the industry wouldn't be able to have access to. We see this as a whole industry thing, not a Nissan thing."

As I say, you have convinced yourself that there is some huge conspiracy at work here, and 'the truth' is being concealed . No matter what anyone says, if their statements back up your theory then it's confirmation, if their statements don't then they are lying.

As I was told many years ago, A closed mind, like a closed door, goes nowhere. And your mind is certainly closed on this subject.

I see no further point in posting on this thread.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Vitesse6

Closed doors work both ways.

I think we should all be very wary of the things that politicians tell us, especially on leaving the EU.

Didn't I read somewhere that both Boris and May had made good arguments for staying in the EU recently, and yet now they have done an about face on that.

And remember, there may have been 17 million voting to leave, but 16 million voted to stay, so it isn't exactly an overwhelming majority.

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Bolt

Closed doors work both ways.

I think we should all be very wary of the things that politicians tell us, especially on leaving the EU.

Didn't I read somewhere that both Boris and May had made good arguments for staying in the EU recently, and yet now they have done an about face on that.

And remember, there may have been 17 million voting to leave, but 16 million voted to stay, so it isn't exactly an overwhelming majority.

Very much agree, what makes me laugh is the amount that want another referendum hoping for a vote to stay in, but no one asks for another general election because we got the wrong government in!

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - concrete

Spot on bolt. Any subject is siezed upon to get a chance to rubbish the majority who voted leave. It is all so tiresome. Not even God can change the past so why the remoaners don't just get on with life defeats me.

As for Blair, if he told me the grass is green, I would look out the window to check. As for all the cries about trade. How many of these people have ever been involved in any meaningful negotiation beyond buying a car? The last thing you ever do is reveal your strategy or final position to whoever you are negotiating with. Simples. As for the rest of it, well huge international businesses can look after themselves. Despite any government help(interference) they will continue to trade because that is how they make profits. They will not stand by and be dictated to by here today-gone tomorrow politicians. Commerce will continue unabated and no matter how many statistics are thrown into the mix nothing much will change. It is all sabre rattling.

Incidentally, a more relevant matter is about to shake the EU far more than our trade negotiations. If the Germans don't bail out their largest bank, then it could collapse and unravel the whole Euro project. If they do bail it out then Greece, Italy and Spain will demand their banks are bailed out too. Either way it looks like a rocky road for the Euro. The Greeks, Italians, Spanish and Portuguese would all like their currency back so they can de-value. Then watch the race to the bottom. Our little local difficulty will be a mere sideshow compared to that scenario. Hold onto your hats folks!

Cheers Concrete

Nissan committed to Brenaissance - Engineer Andy

Great comments from bolt and concrete - I wholeheartedly agree.