Any - Adverts put me off cars - davecooper

There are at least two radio ads at the moment that have completely put me off any thoughts of buying the featured cars due to the wording in the ad. One is for the Jaguar XE and the other for the Audi A4. The ads make a big thing about the low monthly payments and then the very last words at the end of the rushed terms and conditions is "Business users only". Now, I know what sort of monthly payments the normal man in the street would be making for these cars so know this is a business rate. However, many people would be fooled into thinking this was the private monthly rate. In addition, it also smacks of "we only sell these to Business people". Hence neither of these, or any other manufacturer that does the same thing, will appear on my shopping list.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - RobJP

The 'business users only' is because those figures are excluding VAT. A private individual would be able to get exactly the same numbers +VAT if they pushed hard enough, but VAT would not be reclaimable.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - davecooper

Exactly. By pushing the "Business users only" statement to the very end of a very rushed T&C diatribe, it is obviously designed to mislead some people. VAT is not a small amount on a 30k car. No doubt once they have got you into the showroom, the salesman can then ply his trade to relieve you of the extra 6k.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - Gibbo_Wirral

All car adverts bother me.

TV ones are the worst because they focus on a lifestyle rather than the product.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - Falkirk Bairn

The Car adverts with leasing/PCP saying £299 per month for a car are often wildly misleading - many require a substantial deposit - not £500/£1,000 but often several thousand up front & then restricting the mileage to some 6,000 per year - about half the UK average.

A quick calculation of the total payable can give eye watering results.

£5,000 up front on a Subaru Outback on a 4 year deal turns the £399 / month into over £500 / month.

Aston Martin used to advertise cars as £999 / month with £35K up front for a 3 year deal. So in effect it was £2,000 / month for a limited mileage

Any - Adverts put me off cars - Cluedo
As stated above I think they quote these numbers can they can make the car sound really cheap.
I hope I am not straying off topic but I always hated the VW ads. Yes they were very clever at times but as an owner of a couple if VWs I had nothing but trouble with the cars and it used to annoy me when the adverts would come out with nonsense such as"if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW"
Reliability and VAG cars are not two words I would normally put in the same sentence.
Any - Adverts put me off cars - gordonbennet

What adverts, no live television watched here, if the radio happens to be on it is silenced during adverts, adblock/ghostery weeds out internet ads and trackers.

Mind you the economical with the truth through to the outright lying car sales adverts when you're physically looking for a car are more than enough for me...i've been to inspect a 'superb example etc etc' today, another Landcruiser, my inspection (140 miles each way) lasted a total of 5 minutes, never unlocked the doors opened the bonnet or looked inside, putting me hand through one of the body rear innerbox sections saw me back in me car and heading off home pdq.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - concrete

It's always been the same lads. Even back in the late 60's when I bought my first car the salesmen always tried to make a cost to change figure or an hp figure look enticing by spreading it over 30 months instead of the normal 24. They are there to make as much profit as possible and our job is to only pay what we believe is fair and what we can afford. As ever, the devil is still in the detail.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Here endeth the lesson.

Bless you all.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Adverts put me off cars - barney100

Advert in S Africa showing a Mercedes at the bottom of a cliff still intact and the driver walked away, (this actually happened.) Next day BMW ran an ad, BMW's, designed to stay on the road.

Any - Adverts put me off cars - Bilboman

I remember a magazine advert for the Princess back in the late 70s which concentrated on the free inclusion of "Supercover"; an inset photo helpfully showed a broken down Princess with the bonnet up waiting for the (free of charge!) AA recovery van. The marketing team just didn't get it, did they?