Skoda Octavia - prm
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an Octavia diesel,does anyone know of any faults, expensive repairs etc. And would the SDi be any better, cheaper to run than the TDi. I'm not really bothered about speed, just economy and cheap running costs. Thanks in advance.
Skoda Octavia - KW
Don't own one myself, but have heard the tdi is best and worth the extra. Spoke to an Octavia taxi driver and only problem he had was the gearbox which was repaired under warranty - it was an sdi which he chose on price and it was up to 70k in about a year with no other problems.
Skoda Octavia - HF
I'm sure DTD will be along as soon as he can with his opinion.
HF
Skoda Octavia - DavidHM
I'm sure that DTD, who has put 146k or so on his 2 year old SDi will have an opinion.

Until he does, quite apart from the remarkable slowness of the SDi (you say you're not bothered about speed, but this really is van-slow) there's the complete lack of kit such as electric windows, sunroof, air con, and so on. I *think* it has central locking, ABS and 2 airbags, but that's about it.

The SDi is a perfect taxi and a good buy if you believe in keeping your cars for 10 years or will naturally do a massive mileage. If you want easy resale, I'd say go for a TDi of some description, ideally an Elegance but an Ambiente would do. If that's not an issue because of other circumstances, then an SDi is a good, but slooooooooow car.
Skoda Octavia - Dave_TD
I'm sure DTD will be along as soon as he can with his opinion. HF

I'm sure that DTD, who has put 146k or so on
his 2 year old SDi will have an opinion.
Until he does, quite apart from the remarkable slowness of the
SDi (you say you're not bothered about speed, but this really
is van-slow) there's the complete lack of kit such as electric
windows, sunroof, air con, and so on. I *think* it
has central locking, ABS and 2 airbags, but that's about it.
The SDi is a perfect taxi and a good buy if
you believe in keeping your cars for 10 years or will
naturally do a massive mileage. If you want easy resale,
I'd say go for a TDi of some description, ideally an
Elegance but an Ambiente would do. If that's not an
issue because of other circumstances, then an SDi is a good,
but slooooooooow car.

I can't believe I missed this thread!

Well... If I say I'd have another one, no question, that should tell you a lot about how I feel about the Octavia.
Having just had a Nissan Primera as a courtesy car for a month, and getting the Skoda back today, I hadn't realised just how well designed the Skoda is. Spaces for bits and bobs, visibility, comfort are all superior. Economy on my (68bhp, non-turbo diesel) SDi is consistently in the low to mid 50s mpg. Performance, tbh, isn't actually any worse than the (88bhp turbo diesel) Nissan! I certainly wouldn't describe it as van-slow. The way it picks up from very low engine speeds is fine, apparently due to the higher compression ratio on the non-turbo engine.
The interior space is fine, the boot is just enormous, and it's all put together very well indeed. Some people find fault with the rear legroom in the Octavia, but IMO it's no worse than a Mondeo or Vectra in this respect, and you only have to move the front seats forward one notch for rear space to equal the Primera or Avensis.
The standard safety equipment is excellent, with 3x 3-point seatbelts in the rear, also 3x proper head restraints in the rear. All Octavias come with at least two airbags and ABS as standard.
The ergonomics are great, it's the little design touches that get you, such as the deadlocks that operate from either front door or the boot every time you lock the car, ie no separate conscious action is required to apply the deadlocks as well as the normal locking. The little dinky sunvisor in the middle above the rear view mirror which does its job very well. And the "fan" type washer jets, why don't all cars have them?
The only downsides to driving an Octavia are that the plastic tray under the engine is a little low, and can sometimes be caught on speed cushions. The cig lighter socket is located behind the handbrake, by your left elbow, which makes it awkward to charge your phone and impossible to use one of those cheap plug-in hands-free kits! And there's a gap under the driver's seat that your phone or lighter always seems to disappear down which you can't reach from the seated position, so you have to stop and get out to retrieve whatever you've dropped.
Oh yes, and the badge on the front puts a few people off...
But for economy, value for money, reliability, space, longevity and cheap whole-life running costs, there isn't much to touch it.

Dave.
Skoda Octavia - mare
My April 2000 W reg has done 85000, 68000 of which as a cab. It is a 1.9 TDI SLX, which are now Elegance level. I haven't driven a 90 bhp TDI, but the 110 bhp in mine is quick.

Faults, other than the car by car breakdown, are few. I haven't had the very expensive ECU problem mentioned there. Had some niggly things, like light switches. The clutch pedal linkage broke, which leaves the car completely immobile, and was fixed under warranty. Drivers seat is fraying, but this apparently is wear and tear. Brake calipers on the rear wheels seized and replaced under warranty. Rear shock absorbers gone, wear and tear again so my cost (£200!)

Very well equiped, climate control, CD, ABS etc.

Mpg is good, around 48 - 50 mpg around town and high 50's on a run.

Servicing i think is pricey for what they do. IIRC, £70 for an oil change. Dealer (in Bath) are very nice, but it is expensive.

Watch out for the warranty though - mine is 3 years unlimited mileage, later cars are unlimited miles for two years then only up to 60,000 miles in the third year.

Overall, very good family car, huge boot, quick and very economical. TDI would be my choice over SDI, the slower cars are no more economical than TDI's according to the stats.

Mine is going for the MOT and end of warranty check next month, will report if any problems.

Skoda Octavia - prm
Thanks for all your advice, I might look for the TDi then. £70 for an oil change, well bless my soul
Skoda Octavia - bertj
Look out for very low ground clearance at the front - very easy to scrape the plastic apron on kerbs and humps. The 110 bhp is definitely the one to go for - far more power and just as economical.
Skoda Octavia - Cardew
There was a thread on the merits/demerits of Skoda last Dec - kicked off by Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Superb in the Sunday Times. Do a search for "Jeremy Clarkson on Skoda"

C
Skoda Octavia - Big John
I was only charged about £40 for my intrim oil service on my 1.4 Classic. First main service £110 , second a steeper £183 but included things like brake fluid change etc....

Excellent cheap to run car, quiet and economical (41 mpg in winter, 46!! mpg in summer 50+ on a lower speed long run).

When youve only paid £9k the most you can loose in 9K. I expect to have the car for about 10 years by which time it will have about 150,000+ miles on the clock, Thats cheap for high mileage motoring.