Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Cluedo
I would be grateful for some advice that I think I know the answer to but also know how educated many of you are on here.
My Outback states that 0w20 oil is needed for servicing.
I intend to use Mobil 1 esp which I consider to be the best.
The questions I have are, can I use a thicker oil such 5w30 and if I do will it offer better protection and is the 0w20 just for better mileage ?
Also does anybody disagree on the choice of Mobil 1 and would they recommend anything different e.g. Shell Helix Ultra ?
Cheers

Edited by Cluedo on 13/10/2016 at 21:39

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Mick27

You didn't mention which engine it has, I'm assuming the 2.5. There's a very small difference in the oil viscosities and the slightly thicker oil may help to prevent the engine burning oil as some Subaru motors have had issues with this, there was even a recent successful a class action lawsuit in the US. The car mpg will be fractionally better with the thinner oil. I suppose if it's still under warranty it might be a good idea to use the recommended viscosity just in case you have any dramatic engine trouble. Personally I'd go for the recommended type and keep an eye on the level to see if it uses much. Mobil is a good quality brand, no issues there.

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Compost Corner

I ran a 2006 Outback 2.5 for 10yrs and 100,000 miles with no mechanical issues.

Older Subarus seem to have traditonally burned through oil.

I noticed the engine was burning oil quite early on - the older 2.5 engines I think suffered quite badly from oil usage, but as long as you checked the level regularly and kept it topped up, they were pretty much bombproof. Mine wasn't so bad, but I noticed they changed from from Shell Helix to a thicker Castrol GTX at about the 2nd or 3rd service - they explained the smaller molecules in the Helix oil were more prone to escape than the thicker Castrol. They used to always give you a litre of the Helix oil to take home at each service - presumably to encourage owners to check the oil level. Once they changed to Castrol they stopped this and, to be fair, oil consumption did drop off. They did charge for the 'free' oil, however!

My brother-in-law never checked his oil level (same car as mine) and his engine ate itself after about 80,000miles.

I think they've solved the oil consumption issues on the new 2.5 - keep your eye on it but do use the recommended viscosity. If there is ever an issue, Subaru will change the recommended oil in their maintenance alerts.

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - RT

If it states 0W-20, then use 0W-20 !!!

It's clearly designed to use -20 oil when fully warmed up so a -30 will be too viscous which can affect wear adversely as well as fuel consumption.

Using 5W instead of 0W will mean more wear during each warm-up phase as the thicker oil will take longer to circulate.

Forget brand, go by viscosity and ACEA grade requirement - and stick to Subaru UK's requirement.

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Cluedo
Thanks guys - and yes good point it is the 2.5.
Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Cyd

If it states 0W-20, then use 0W-20 !!!

I second that!

The differences between viscosity may be small but so too are the bearing clearances - measured in microns!

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - focussed

I think you will find that bearing clearances are more than microns.

The absolute minimum shell bearing to journal clearance - on a race engine running thin- as- water race oil would be about 0.001"

Clearance for a road engine would be 0.0015" to 0.0025".

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - madf

Catsrol Edge 0w-20 with titanium is pretty good. (standard on new Honda engines)

Subaru Outback - Oil Changes - Cyd

Clearance for a road engine would be 0.0015" to 0.0025".

So 38 to 63 microns then!

you clearly missed the point by billions of microns!