Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - Ian (Cape Town)
Was reading this weekend, and came across a list of UK "crimes". Maybe somebody could enlighten me as to what is the difference between:

Taking and Driving Away;
Taking Without Owner's Consent
&
Car Theft?

It seems they are all different offences. What do they use as differentiation?
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - Dwight Van Driver
TDA and TWOC are the same.Some times called joy riding.

Car theft is usually called the same as TWOC etc but in actual fact is aint and can be simple theft.

Daft isn't it but scroat can take your car from your drive and when caught be charged not with theft but TWOC. Likewise if he takes a wheelbarrow from your garden then he is charged with theft.

The argument that TWOC is charged and not theft is that by abandoning the vehicle then an intent to deprive the owner, an element needed for theft, is absent. However if the car is stripped down, shipped out etc then theft can be charged.

Weird isn't it but thats UK Law.

DVD

Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - Ian (Cape Town)
Facinating.
It raises more questions than it answers...
If the car is nicked (with the intention of stripping/ ringing/exporting) it seems likely the villain will not abuse it that much - mechanically.
If it is recovered, then you don't suffer too much.
If the toerag nicks it to joyride, he'll thrash it to redline in all five gears [plus reverse!] and knacker the engine/gearbox/ diff/tyres/suspensinon etc until he runs out of petrol.
So, you lose out even more... as most of the 'damage' will no doubt come out a few thousand miles down the road.
So, which is judged to be the more 'serious' of the crimes? [let me guess...]
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - Mark (RLBS)
We\'ve only got TDA because they messed up the Theft Act, it wasn\'t intentional.

The first patch was to prosecute people for stealing the petrol they used, but when people started catching on to that and leaving it with more petrol, it was becoming difficult to find something to prosecute them for.

This kind of stuff happens quite often when they replace case law with statute - and in this case was all down to the use of the word \"permanent\" - it cost one woman her fur coat.

If you think that\'s bad, you should look at the confusion they can cause with the word \"reasonable\".

\" a reasonable man would think...\" or \"it is reasonable to think that this man...\" etc. etc.

The problem is that the only way of \"debugging\" a law is to put it in place and expose it to a huge amount of \"hackers\" - frequently called lawyers and judges.
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - Dwight Van Driver
Go back a bit further Mark, the same applied under the Larceny Act 1916 that was replaced by the Theft Act.

You chancing your arm with that last para, I thought P.U. seemed a decent guy?

DVD
>>You chancing your arm with that last para, I thought P.U. seemed a decent guy?

Actually there was no comment, it simply seemed that the relationship between software and debuggers is reasonably comparable with that which exists between the law and lawyers.
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - volvoman
The thrashing issue interests me. Who in their right mind would want such a car to be recovered ? I heard a Porsche owner commenting on how he'd decided not to have a tracking device fitted because he didn't want to take the risk that his car would be recovered only for all sorts of costly mechanical problems to surface months later.
Didn't someone on this site have a similar problem a few months ago when their car (Volvo V70?) was nicked and later dumped nearby. IIRC it was felt some serious damage may have been done internally which wouldn't be covered by the insurance - does anyone know what the outcome of that incident was ?
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - No Do$h
Volvoman, it was an S80

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=10...0

Owner decided not to take it through the insurance route. A brave man!
Taking? Twoc-ing? Stealing? - volvoman
Thanks No Dosh ! Just re-read the thread - very interesting - and posted a reqest for an update from DB Cohen.
And lets be honest, damaged "suspensinon" can be very serious !!! :-)