Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Glenn 42

I'm considering changing my 11 plate Micra in the next few months as it's low on driving enjoyment and would like something a bit newer and more fun to drive with similar running costs.

The local Nissan dealer also sells Suzukis and Hyundais and the newer shape Swift looks quite tempting and retails for about the same as a Micra. I did have one as a courtesy car 3 years ago and found it quite good to drive if a bit stuffy without aircon( it was an SZ2). Also it returned 50 mpg on a short journey.

I know the Swift has a small boot, which isn't too big a drawback, but are they as reliable as other Japanese makes and reasonably cheap to maintain?

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Metropolis.

Had many Suzukis over the years, including previous generation swifts. Bomb proof little things, I think they hail from the barn door school of engineering, if its simple and it works...! The new swifts have a good reputation for being involving to drive, easy to maintain and reliable. Just make sure you avoid the diesel, it's a Fiat engine!

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - focussed

I'll second that - I've worked on Suzuki bikes and outboards and the engineering is solid. And yes - dont go anywhere near that horrible 1.3 fiat diesel - had one in a Corsa - dreadful thing.

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Falkirk Bairn

Current Swift came out 2010, NEW model due by 2017.

The SZ-L model is a special edition came out less than 12 mths ago - run out model.

Run out models - there is a deal to be done.

Trailing edge technology tends to be more reliable IMHO. Any major or minor issues seemed to have been ironed out long ago.

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - SLO76
They're bulletproof wee things as long as you avoid the Fiat 1.3 diesel. The petrol engines are straightforward, economical and reliable.

A great choice as long as you don't need much boot space. They handle well, are well made and easy to sell on. Certainly a vastly better car than the current Nissan Micra which was designed for third world markets like India not Europe where it falls well short of rivals or its U.K. built predecessor.

Just shop around for the best deal then ask your nearest dealer to match it, they more often than not will just for volume even if they're making nothing from the deal.
Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Dabooka

I've had a 14 plate Sport for about 10 months and love the thing.

The small boot is reduced even more (no spare either, it's a tin of glop) as the dual exhaust eats the space underneath. Seems reliable and solid as expected but they are cheap cars so allow for this. As a reference I came from my wife's old Note (an '08 plate) and it feels much better built than that. Mileage I get a genuine 40ish to the gallon and that's using the cars abilities on occasion; in contrast the 1.4 Note returned about 44 max so no real difference, and a world apart in driving fun! Lots of head room give a feeling of more space than there is, although some might find it tight in the back depending on who your carting around. Driving posiiton is great.

I've heard lots of positives on the forums regarding the 1.5 cars in particular although the gearbox in the 1.2 seems to be made of chohcolate and needs a new bearing or someuch at about 60k miles. That might have been ironed out now but worth checking (Google will bring up a far bit).

As menetioned a new model is planned so deal galore for the runout models. I also think the Suzuki dealership network (I've used 3) have been up there with my experience of Mazda, Honda and Toyota which is a total contrast to the German premium marques. Obviously this is all subjective but my warranty claim for a faulty heated rear window was sorted no problem at all. Servicing costs reasonable to good too.

Any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Dabooka

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Glenn 42

Thankyou, the Swift is quite a common sight on local roads and the consensus locally is they're like a cheaper rival to a Mini and are fun to drive and reliable. My Micra has been a reasonable enough car, but I wouldn't have another as they look flimsy and are dull to drive.

Another possibility is a Hyundai i 20( old shape). These seem to be a decent enough supermini with the 5 year warranty, a big boot for the size and are good value for money.

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - SLO76
The Swift is far more reliable car than a Mini. It's genuinely one of the best small hatches you can buy. If it had a larger boot we would've had one in place of our Polo.
Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - daveyK_UK
The Suzuki swift is a good car and there are some excellent deals around as the model is set to be changed next year.

Suzuki Swift - Suzuki Swift - Doc
The Swift is far more reliable car than a Mini. It's genuinely one of the best small hatches you can buy.

I agree. A very underated car. I've had the 1.5GLX and now own the current model.