2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - Jonas Wickham

I just topped up my Skoda with coolant: BLUECOL'u' clear.
It said:
'Universal top-up antifreeze & coolant'
'All makes - All Models'
'Will mix safely with all colours of antifreeze'

Then I dug out the manual which states:
'The same coolant (G12) (red in colour) MUST always be used for topping up.'
'Mixing different coolants can result in damage to the engine'
'Have the coolant replaced immediately'

Is this true?
Thanks.

Skoda
Fabia
40,000 miles

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - gordonbennet

mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_121.htm

If the OE coolant is OAT and you've put Ethylene Glycol in, then i'd drain the lot soon as, flush it out well and replace the lot.

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - John F

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=19701

This is an interesting old thread which might help. You should have used the same stuff but I doubt if a few mls of Bluecol would be too deleterious. Its main ingredient is what is in your red coolant but there is apparently a risk of it becoming glutinous if certain types of other coolants are used.

With modern designs of cooling systems it's amazing how little attention they need. I have only once topped up (with only 200mls rainwater) our 16yr old Focus. Still looks clear and pink and a sample remained liquid in our freezer.

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - Cyd

The short answer is: YES

You should drain and flush and refill with an appropriate product. While you’re at it use a suitable system cleaner product (use this with tap water). Try your local factors and get something from the Comma range. I think they do a guide on their website.

Don’t worry about it being 50/50, 25% will do fine for the UK climate, but DO buy a tub of deionised water with it.

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - andyp

I would drain it out, flush the system and refill with G12. If it is still the original coolant then the corrosion inhibitors will be well past there best anyway !

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - focussed

"Don’t worry about it being 50/50, 25% will do fine for the UK climate"

Use 50/50 it's for corrosion protection not for freeze protection.

2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 - Is mixing different coolants REALLY bad? - Cyd

Use 50/50 it's for corrosion protection not for freeze protection.

That’s what the deionised water is for! There’s plenty of corrosion protection in 25%, but if you’re worried about it add a bottle of Water Wetter.

You’ll get better cooling with 25%, particularly around critical areas like exhaust valves. Admittedly it benefits turbo petrols most, but all will benefit.