1998 Isuzu Trooper Diesel - Starter Motor Replacement - Olga Danes-Volkov

After some good advice from someone on this forum, we have decided to replace the starter motor on this car. Unfortunately, all info seems to relate to Troopers with V6 engines - or in the US. Could anyone be kind enough to tell us in words of one syllable the procedure. ~They keep telling us to remove left hand exhaust manifold pipe. Ours does not have one...

Many thanks

1998 Isuzu Trooper Diesel - Starter Motor Replacement - joegrundy

This may be entirely irrelevant, in which case please feel free to disregard it at will.

I understand that your starter motor is turning, but not engaging (and thus starting the engine). This was a common problem many years ago and explains why many drivers carried a hammer or heavy wrench under the driver's seat. (Honest, guv!).

On the end of the starter motor shaft was a spring-loaded gizmo, (bendix gear ?) which would extend with centrifugal force as the starter motor turned, engage with the engine, and start the damn thing.

Sometimes the gear would stick, but could be encouraged with a helpful tap with a hammer, spin, engage, and start the engine.

The 'cure' to be repeated at intervals was to pull out the starter motor (two bolts on my 1960 MM 1000), clean off the bendix gear and re-grease.

This information may be hopelessly out of date and of no use at all. But if your starter motor is spinning at the right speed when it should be, the problem is not the starter motor itself. (I think that's still true?).

1998 Isuzu Trooper Diesel - Starter Motor Replacement - gordonbennet

Joe, it will be a pre engaged starter on the Trooper, haven't dealt with a broken Bendix spring since i had dark hair, reckon me bendix spring compressor will be rusted away by now if i even had a hope in hell of finding it..:-)

OP have a poke nose here www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/index.php

In the electric section there are several threads mentioning starters, it appears there are two types so makes sense to get yours off before seeking a new one out, might still be an easy fix once its out and with a mirror and torch you can inspect the starter ring through the hole to check thats ok.

There is a DIY section that you have to join the forum to access, i haven't a clue if its a pay forum or not, but with any luck at all you might well find a step by step guide to starter removal lurking in that DiY section, the rest of the forum is informative and seems well supported so with a bit of concentrated reading you should find the info you need.

By the way, Trooper and Vauxhall Monterey are the same vehicle, so any info you find about the Monty (or a suitable breaker locally) will most likely cover your vehicle too.