Ban older drivers? - barney100

It's popular to get at older drivers, past it, no reactions, re test 'em etc etc. How nice to read that according to research older drivers are mostly ok and generally no more dangerous than any other group, indeed the older drivers are more likely to try to drive carefully. Oldest uk driver apparently is 108.

Ban older drivers? - Bolt

It's popular to get at older drivers, past it, no reactions, re test 'em etc etc. How nice to read that according to research older drivers are mostly ok and generally no more dangerous than any other group, indeed the older drivers are more likely to try to drive carefully. Oldest uk driver apparently is 108.

Its also popular to get at young drivers, but there are good and bad in all age groups, some think they are better than anyone else but dont drive like they think

I was behind an elderly driver yesterday that stuck to 20mph tops, and cut corners off of junctions, roundabouts which we have many, do not exist to this driver and would not give way to the right, to the annoyance of the driver coming from the right, also stopping at parked cars to allow drivers coming the other way through passage (no need to, lots of room to get past)

But I have also seen young drivers do similar things so its not all old people that can be bad drivers

Ban older drivers? - RT

It's difficult to get past the statistics that younger drivers have more accidents, more serious, than older drivers.

As an older driver - my only comments are that driving standards across all age groups are far too low - the driving test should be much harder - drivers of all ages should be retested every 10 years from age 30 - and the minimum eyesight standard should be doubled.

Ban older drivers? - focussed

It's difficult to get past the statistics that younger drivers have more accidents, more serious, than older drivers.

As an older driver - my only comments are that driving standards across all age groups are far too low - the driving test should be much harder - drivers of all ages should be retested every 10 years from age 30 - and the minimum eyesight standard should be doubled.

As an ex-instructor I can say that the current UK driving test is perfectly adequate, it's not an easy test to pass, try it sometime if you don't believe me- Book yourself a mock test lesson with a driving school and let us all know the results.

If every driver drove as they were taught to test standard there would be fewer accidents - but they don't, do they? So the solution could be enforcement of proper driving standards - that used to happen - I believe the police used to dish out words of wisdom to errant drivers, but that was in the days when coppers knew how to drive properly and stuck to the rules.

Perhaps the penalty system for some offences could just be a re-take of the test instead of fines, but there's no money in that for the authorities is there?

The eyesight requirements do need a bit of an update - as long as you can read a number plate at 20 metres you pass the current test.

But this doesn't take account of all the various eyesight defects that can affect safe driving.

So a current eye-test certificate could be the way to go instead of reading a number plate.

Ban older drivers? - RT

As an ex-instructor I can say that the current UK driving test is perfectly adequate, it's not an easy test to pass, try it sometime if you don't believe me- Book yourself a mock test lesson with a driving school and let us all know the results.

If every driver drove as they were taught to test standard there would be fewer accidents - but they don't, do they? So the solution could be enforcement of proper driving standards - that used to happen - I believe the police used to dish out words of wisdom to errant drivers, but that was in the days when coppers knew how to drive properly and stuck to the rules.

Perhaps the penalty system for some offences could just be a re-take of the test instead of fines, but there's no money in that for the authorities is there?

The eyesight requirements do need a bit of an update - as long as you can read a number plate at 20 metres you pass the current test.

But this doesn't take account of all the various eyesight defects that can affect safe driving.

So a current eye-test certificate could be the way to go instead of reading a number plate.

I based my comment on observation that half of drivers drive so badly they shouldn't be on the road at all - if you have a better way of raising driving standards at the lower end of the scale then let's discuss it.

(I based my comment on observation that half of drivers drive so badly they shouldn't be on the road at all - if you have a better way of raising driving standards at the lower end of the scale then let's discuss it.)

If certain drivers are adamant that their driving is fine how do you get them to improve, bearing in mind some really do not know the car they are driving and do not care, which appears to be the attitude of people I speak to.

Ban older drivers? - focussed

I based my comment on observation that half of drivers drive so badly they shouldn't be on the road at all.

Well- why aren't they being taken off the road? That could be the answer.

Ban older drivers? - RT

I based my comment on observation that half of drivers drive so badly they shouldn't be on the road at all.

Well- why aren't they being taken off the road? That could be the answer.

The lack of policing is part of the issue - but I can imagine the electoral impact if any government wanted half the drivers off the road - and it's impact on the economy.

Taking the bad half off the road is impossible - so all efforts to improve their driving standards have to be explored.

Ban older drivers? - Wackyracer

We have alot of elderly drivers here in the Village, there is one in particular that seems to drive everywhere in second gear while driving in the centre of the road.

Even worse than the car drivers is the elderly in mobility scooters, they just go in any direction regardless. They pull straight out of side roads right infront of you and if your walking, you have to be careful they don't knock you down.

Ban older drivers? - RT

We have alot of elderly drivers here in the Village, there is one in particular that seems to drive everywhere in second gear while driving in the centre of the road.

Even worse than the car drivers is the elderly in mobility scooters, they just go in any direction regardless. They pull straight out of side roads right infront of you and if your walking, you have to be careful they don't knock you down.

Yes the mobility scooters are nearly as bad as cyclists!

Yes the mobility scooters are nearly as bad as cyclists!

I had one years ago that accelerated out from between two parked cars and scraped the side of my rover tourer on the day I was trading it in for another car, lady tried to claim off my insurance and nearly won, point I made was she hit drivers door and scraped back door So I could not have hit her it was the other way round

I was told a few months afterwards she did it regular so the insurance company bought her the latest scooter. but it cost me £150 in damage to be repaired by trade in garage, I did after a fight get it back

Ban older drivers? - Dwight Van Driver

My biological clock is running and fast approaching midnight so many years since high mileage in a jam sandwidge. Small journeys now. What is very apparent the relentless increase in vehicles on the road and the need to be proficient in driving.

Fearing a deterioration in my ability I enrolled on a scheme run by County Council whereby for free they provide an examiner to test your ability and report accordingly. The 'test' was just over an hours duration covering various roads and BUA's

Please to report I passed with distintion so allayed some of my concerns.

Would suggest if your local Council run such schemes 'drive alive' you consider doing the same. Pity Insurance Cos do not encourage and offer a premium reduction of those that do it.

dvd

Ban older drivers? - gordonbennet
Pity Insurance Cos do not encourage and offer a premium reduction of those that do it.

Cornmarket, the Northern Irish broker do, they cater for full time HGV/PSV drivers and IAM passes, whatever quote from anyoldinsurer.com you can prove to them they will equal and sweeten further, my two renewals from them this year came in lower than i could find anywhere else.

They are probably not alone in wanting IAM drivers, funnily enough some insurers actually arn't keen on HGV/PSV and i'm at a loss as to why this is.

funnily enough some insurers actually arn't keen on HGV/PSV and i'm at a loss as to why this is.

Yes, it's ironic that those of us who do 100,000km a year in a 40 ton truck are supposedly less capable than a school teacher that drives a 2CV isn't it?

I did get a reduction of about £16 once from LV for being a HGV driver. Although their quote was still miles higher than others without the HGV reduction.

Ban older drivers? - LondonBus

Odd isn't it?

With a truck/bus licence you also have the assurance that you're fit - with a medical for Group 2 vehicles every 5 years after 45.

I have a PCV licence although don't drive for a living (aged 45); I am now looking to get a motorcyle and truck licences.

Ban older drivers? - alan1302
Yes, it's ironic that those of us who do 100,000km a year in a 40 ton truck are supposedly less capable than a school teacher that drives a 2CV isn't it?

I think that is partly because they belive due to the number of miles you drive each year then there is an increased chance of an acident even if it's not of your doing

Ban older drivers? - Engineer Andy

My biological clock is running and fast approaching midnight so many years since high mileage in a jam sandwidge. Small journeys now. What is very apparent the relentless increase in vehicles on the road and the need to be proficient in driving.

Fearing a deterioration in my ability I enrolled on a scheme run by County Council whereby for free they provide an examiner to test your ability and report accordingly. The 'test' was just over an hours duration covering various roads and BUA's

Would suggest if your local Council run such schemes 'drive alive' you consider doing the same. Pity Insurance Cos do not encourage and offer a premium reduction of those that do it.

dvd

My mum (72 years young) now won't drive on motorways and faster dual carriageways, presumably due to a lack of confidence (she drives less than she used to when I was a child), and additionally thinks everyone else drives too fast, even though most of us (family) don't. I think that confidence, practice and knowing your limitations (slower reflexes etc) as you get older is the order of the day.

Any course to help this would be useful, as many older (and some younger and/less experienced) drivers would benefit from help, which coul assist in making driving less stressful and safer for all, not just those in greatest need of assistance. All too often poor driving from one person illicits a red mist resonse from others, sometimes indirectly causing an accident.

Ban older drivers? - galileo

dvd

My mum (72 years young) now won't drive on motorways and faster dual carriageways, presumably due to a lack of confidence (she drives less than she used to when I was a child), and additionally thinks everyone else drives too fast, even though most of us (family) don't. I think that confidence, practice and knowing your limitations (slower reflexes etc) as you get older is the order of the day.

Any course to help this would be useful, as many older (and some younger and/less experienced) drivers would benefit from help, which coul assist in making driving less stressful and safer for all, not just those in greatest need of assistance. All too often poor driving from one person illicits a red mist resonse from others, sometimes indirectly causing an accident.

IAM offered an 'elderly drivers assessment' for £25 a couple of years ago, this would be helpful to your mum in assuring her (or otherwise) of her abilities.

Ban older drivers? - Engineer Andy

Was on my way home today and was witness to some awful driving by an elderly gent, who, it appears (and his wife) was completely oblivious to it all. Here's the list of their driving faults:

• Cutting serveral drivers up by changing lane without warning, on a roundabout (me) and two other drivers (overtaking on a dual carriageway then nearly wiping out the other vehicles' front right quarters);
  • Crawling in the fast lane (60mph when clear and supposedly overtaking slow [also at 55/60] vehicles in the nearside lane);
  • Changing in speed from 75 going downhill to 55 going uphill (I call these oiks 'foot-planters' who never change their foot position on the accelerator in such circumstances to keep their speed the same) and sometimes on the flat;
  • Slowed down from 75 to 55/60 (indicated) whilst passing several speed cameras on the dual carriageway (the limit is 70 and is only less if indicated by signage), including once whilst in the last lane;
  • No use of mirror/paying any attention to those behind when several other drivers (including myself) gave them a friendly light flash/horn toot to move over to the nearside lane/speed up to 70 whilst supposedly in the overtaking lane so we could overtake them or at least keep up the speed;
  • Weaving across the lanes near to the white lines/edge of the carriageway;
  • Slowing down when leaving a roundabout (both dual carriageway) when could/should be accelerating.

It was obvious he was (sadly) incapable of controlling his car (a BWM X3) sufficiently - to me an accident waiting to happen - in some more urban areas he might've faced more agressive drivers, making the situation far worse.

My recommendation would be for them to sell the car (I wonder if also he'd been previously used to driving far lesser sized/powerful cars) and use public transport/taxis. I know running a car can be a lifeline for many elderly people, especially when public transport in many areas isn't great, but not at the expense of safety. He, to me, just had lost the ability he may have (hopefully) once had in former years - I suspect he doesn't even realise he's that bad, especially as he didn't even acknowledge any of the other drivers when they flashed/tooted him.

These sort of people need to be re-tested after 65/70 at regular internals (say every 5 years or when a doctor instructs, then every 2-3 over 80) to weedle out those who shouldn't be at the wheel any more from those who are good enough or who would benefit from re-training (I don't think he would). I just have visions of this guy going the wrong way down the same road and ending in tragedy for him, his wife and some poor people going the correct way (which could be me).

Ban older drivers? - Avant

Very glad you passed, DVD. I imagine that police driving techniques are with you for life, so it's no surprise.

Ban older drivers? - RaineMan

I am a bit late on this as I suffered a motherboard melt down and numerous (and ongoing issues) with Windows 10 updates on a new laptop.

I suspect the reason that PSV/HGV drivers do not get discounts is the appaling driving by a large minority of them. Previously I have commented on the driving standards on a number of local bus companies and taxi drivers. This seems to be a topdown issue as the majority of drivers from a single company drive well whilst those from another do not. All to frequently I see appaling tailgating on motorways by coaches and lorries, and why do they engage in this pointless elephant racing. There are a number of local companies that run HGVs of various types. Like the bus companies driving standards seem linked to the company. The worst one has drivers that drive aggessively and rat-run. If these issues were addressed insurance companies might view professional drivers more favourably.

I suspect the reason that PSV/HGV drivers do not get discounts is the appaling driving by a large minority of them.

The appaling standards have only got worse by the constant watering down of standards by the government and employers.

The government have made the LGV & PCV driving tests easier to pass and then in a campaign to improve(laughable at best) road safety they dreamed up the driver CPC ( read money making scheme for all these parasitic 'training' companies). While at the same time allowing migrant LGV drivers to exchange their 'bought licences' for a UK licence without having to take a UK driving test.

Previously I have commented on the driving standards on a number of local bus companies and taxi drivers.

Bus drivers are terrible now, the last bus I used in London the driver (un uniformed ) had MP3 player earphones in and pulled straight out onto a roundabout infront of an oncoming car causing the car to brake and swerve.

Ban older drivers? - gordonbennet

The appaling standards have only got worse by the constant watering down of standards by the government and employers.

The government have made the LGV & PCV driving tests easier to pass and then in a campaign to improve(laughable at best) road safety they dreamed up the driver CPC ( read money making scheme for all these parasitic 'training' companies).

Yep, what he said.

Lowest common denominator rules.