VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - robbieire

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice from owners hopefully,

I am changing my civic type r in the next few weeks and will be moving back to Diesal as I am travelling more with work and need more space for 3 kids at the weekends.

I have narrowed down the search and I can afford either a 12 Volvo V60 R-Design (Has to be R-Design as I prefer the look)

Or else a 2014 \ 2015 Hyundai I40.

I know volvo would probably been seen as a better brand but the Hyundai would be 2 years newer and is also a bit bigger inside.

Would love to know your thoughts..

Thanks

VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - galileo

Volvo cars is now actually owned by Geely, the Chinese maker who also make London cabs, depends if you think it is thus a better or prestige brand.

A 2014/5 Hyundai will have manufacturer's warranty till 2019/2020, unlimited mileage (provided all servicing has been done to Hyundai specifications, check history and invoices)

VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - Happy Blue!

Apart from that fact they are largeish saloons they are chalk and cheese. The Volvo has a hard suspension, but meant to be very good seats. Not sure which engine it has, but possibly an old 5-cyl design.

The Hyundai's main feature is a very long warranty and associated reliability. Some taxi drivers had issues with the clutch I recall. Personally, unless 'image' is more important than money, I would go Hyundai. Its a newer design, newer vehicle, longer warranty and probably overall, cheaper to run.

VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - craig-pd130

You'd have to drive both and see what you think. I'm biased - I had a 2011 V60 D3 (163bhp) and liked it very much. The engine is a cracker, with real grunt and go, and economical too. So much more characterful than the 4-cylinder motors in its rivals (and even compared with the new Volvo 4-cylinder diesel). But the car would be out of its 3-year warranty, so you're largely on your own, although the new S/V60 Volvos are pretty reliable.

The Hyundai, if bought from one of its main dealers will have the balance of the warranty and I'm sure is a good car.

Depends what you want, really.

VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - Avant

Even though, like Craig, I have a V60, I'd go for the Hyundai if I were you, as (assuming the prices are correct) it's quite a bit newer, and will have some warranty remaining.

The R-Design doesn't look very different from the ordinary V60, and has mostly the same range of engines so don't spend extra on one if you do go for the Volvo.

Edited by Avant on 26/08/2016 at 01:10

VOLVO V60 - 2012 Volvo V60 R-Design or 2014/15 Hyundai I40 - sandy56

Have a long drive in both cars and go for the one you refer.