Citroen C5 - Which car £3000 - Jon199102

Hello all

I was recently evolved in a crash which sadly wrote of my astra. Insurance have paid out and now I'm left wondering what car to buy. I'm looking at a saloon style vehicle due to my growing family and pref desiel due to the 70 mile round trip down the motorway to work.

The two cars that have my eye at the moment are the Citroen C5 and a Passat. My only concern being is that at this price they easily have over 80k in mileage.

Do you feel its worth buying one with such a high millage or should I look around for a alternative? Unfortunately I can't higher my budget past 3k.

Thank you

Citroen C5 - Which car £3000 - Gibbo_Wirral

It depends *what* mileage its done. If its spent its previous life pootling round town then there's a good chance that the DPF and its associated components will be reaching EOL far sooner than expected. Same with the EGR valve, that will be getting blocked.

I've worked with Peugeots and Citroens as an independent for years and seen DPFs get blocked or the additive tank run empty as low as 60,000 miles for local runners, yet manage over 100,000 miles for motorway drivers.

Service history and care are also key factors. I've been looking for something similar to you and found lots of beautiful looking cars but suffered severe neglect under the bonnet - two of them had absolutely no coolant in them whatsoever. One with a oil filler cap siezed onto the engine block.

Even simple things like not caring that the plastic windscreen scuttle is fixed securely can cause water to run into the engine and rot the soundproofing and run into the electrics. And its owner neglect like this that sometimes unfairly calls French cars unreliable.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 25/08/2016 at 15:07

Citroen C5 - Which car £3000 - Jon199102

Most of them in my price range for Citroens have done between 80-130 with full service history's wouldn't touch anything else.

I test drove one before around the block and there wasn't any strange noises from the suspension. Would need to take it on a proper drive through to ensure that it was smooth running.

The guy who was selling it said it would have its cambely and water pump changed before and a full service. Though I'm unsure if it will last as the interior was a little battered.

The Passat I saw although older was a lot cleaner and that had also had its cambelt changed.

Edited by Jon199102 on 25/08/2016 at 16:21

Citroen C5 - Which car £3000 - NAthan smith
Mondrian tdci probably get a titanium nice spec for that price
Citroen C5 - Which car £3000 - Stumblebum

Petrol Honda Accord if you can live with low 30's MPG.