Honda motorcycle - False insurance claim - E Rogers
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was recommended to post about this here by a family member after taking a recent call from my insurer.

A few months ago my motorbike was pushed over whilst parked, presumably by a passer by, damaging both the bike and the car it was parked next to. The car came off worse. I didn't realise this until the next day when I cam to pick it up. I discussed it with the owner of the car and after a somewhat heated exchange we agreed it was neither of ours faults but that he may have to make a claim against me anyway, as the person who knocked the bike over is unknown.

Many months later, having completely forgotten about it (I didn't hear back from him), I get a call from my insurer saying I have a claim made against me; that I failed to give way on the road and hit a moving "third party" (car). No other details were provided. It took me a while to twig that the dates matched so it must be the owner of the damaged car. After discussing it with the insurer we agreed that I should deny all knowledge of the incident as it was described, given that it is entirely fictitious.

Assuming he changes his claim and gets back with a less spurious claim, what should I do then? Is there a way of using the previous false claim up as evidence against him? Have I taken the correct approach so far? All advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Ed

By the way, I am away on holiday for a week so apologies for a slow response to any answers.
Honda motorcycle - False insurance claim - Palcouk
Its possible an initial claim was made by phone in which case there may have been a misunderstanding in what was been said.
A claim on the original grounds is a valid claim, but since both vehicles were parked, with no drivers present it may result in a knock for knock claim.
Honda motorcycle - False insurance claim - scot22
I think you have done things right. It was sensible to discuss it with your insurer and agree a course of action.

I have always maintained the best course of action is to be open, honest and respectful. Probably the majority of problems are caused by people pretending things are different to what really happened.

Best wishes.
Honda motorcycle - False insurance claim - E Rogers

Thanks both of you. I've not heard back since I refuted the first claim, so we'll see what happens.