volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - tommy5
hi wonder if any body can help my volkswagen bora 1.9tdi pd 130 is cranking fine but not firing properly taking 2 to 3 attempts to start,over about 3 week it went from only just starting to 3 or 4 attempts.
its got 230.000 on clock but runs fine once started you can turn it off and go back 30 mins later and it will fire first attempt, its just when its been stood for more than 3 to 4 hours ive had it on vag computer it come up with temp sensor replaced that still did same following day back on computer but not showing any faults but its still doing it its melting my head in
volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - elekie&a/c doctor
Could be many possibles ,but I wonder if is loosing fuel pressure.Have the injector seals ever been changed?This will not show on any computer.You say it is cranking fine,but is it?The Pd engine needs to spin around 220-250 rpm before it will attempt to fire.
volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - tommy5
i ve had the car since 80.000 miles and the only major problem was the dreaded head gasket repair about 20.000 miles ago,the only other bit i can add is im facing downwards on a slight hill and in a morning it takes a couple of attempts to start where as when its stood all day at work on a flat surface its taking 4 attempts, every couple of days when it starts on dash it says alternator workshop but had it tested and its fine
volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - craig-pd130
When it finally does start from cold after a few attempts, does it run lumpily and kick out white smoke until it warms up a little?

If so, I would suspect the glow plugs are weak / dying.
volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - Peter.N.
Starting better when facing downhill suggests that there is air getting into the fuel supply, possibly the filter housing or a connection somewhere. Follow the pipe back to the tank and check it all.
volkswagen bora 1.9tdi 130 pd - car cranking but not starting properly - Railroad.
Check your valve timing and cambelt tension to make they're spot on. Use the correct locking tool to lock the crankshaft, and then make sure the locking pin for the camshaft slides in easily. If it doesn't then the timing is out, and this will cause poor starting. Also using VCDS check the 'Torsion' figure in 'Measuring Blocks'. This figure should be as close to '0' as possible with the engine running. The further away from '0' either '+' or '-' the Torsion figure is, the more the ECM will have to make corrections to the injection timing. Eventually a fault code will be set if it's too far out, but even a small error will affect starting. It's very important that the base timing is correct. The ECM can only adjust the timing once an engine speed signal is received from the crankshaft sensor. Diesel injection timing doesn't need to be far out to give you problems.