Toyota Corolla - First Car - Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, Panda - CluelessNik

Hi,

I am pondering which first car to buy. I learnt in a Fiesta so it will be a fall back, but reviews suggest the Yaris and Panda are good (and better alternatives), and then I learn that the Corolla hatchback (02-06) is better and more reliable than the Yaris. Insurance matters too but I was told that Corolla is reliable so even though bigger than the others, insurance would not be high.

I wonder what your experiences suggest?

Panda has great reviews as a City short journey car, but is small. But Corolla seems big - is it easy to drive or big and hard to navigate through cities like inner London?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Toyota Corolla - First Car - Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, Panda - CluelessNik

Hi,

I am pondering which first car to buy. I learnt in a Fiesta so it will be a fall back, but reviews suggest the Yaris and Panda are good (and better alternatives), and then I learn that the Corolla hatchback (02-06) is better and more reliable than the Yaris. Insurance matters too but I was told that Corolla is reliable so even though bigger than the others, insurance would not be high.

I wonder what your experiences suggest?

Panda has great reviews as a City short journey car, but is small. But Corolla seems big - is it easy to drive or big and hard to navigate through cities like inner London?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I forgot to add - max budget would be around £1500 - 1700

Toyota Corolla - First Car - Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, Panda - Avant

At your budget level, condition matters more than make or model, so keep an open mind.

That said, nothing soldiers on quite like an old Toyota, so that could be a good place to start looking. I believe that Corollas and Yarises are equally reliable. The Corolla isn't all that much bigger than the Yaris.

Toyota Corolla - First Car - Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, Panda - ifekas

Regardless of insurance costs, for a first car I would suggest something small would be better; you can always swap out for something bigger in a year or two. The Panda's shape makes it particularly easy to park and manoever, while still having a lot of usuable space - so that would be my choice. Alternatively, something like a Hyundai i10 or Kia Picanto perhaps...

Toyota Corolla - First Car - Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, Panda - Vitesse6

It would be worth going on a few insurance sites and getting quotes for your shortlist. You will have some idea what you have to budget for insurance then, and some cars may be considerably cheaper than others.