Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - b80

Hi,

Weighing up travelling to look at a 6 year old Avensis that missed it 2nd year service. It's had 3 owners - the first year it was used by Toyota staff or demonstrator apparently.

Has been serviced each interval since, the last 2 or 3 people from a Toyota dealership.

Would you avoid?

Cheers

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Cyd

Me? I'd leave it alone for 3 owners in 6 years, never mind the missed service. All smacks of a car that's had very little TLC.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - 72 dudes

Me? I'd leave it alone for 3 owners in 6 years, never mind the missed service. All smacks of a car that's had very little TLC.

Agreed, I would worry why 3 owners have passed it on more than I worried about a missed service.

Poster with the Picanto was lucky!

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Project C

I have been running a little picanto for the last 4 years. When we bought it, it has 5 previous owners and 35k on the clock. Here we are 4 years on and 95k on the clock and generally reliable

Missing 1 service is no big deal, imo, as long as it's evident the car has been well looked after

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - chriswales

Would depend if it was a petrol or a diesel and how much mileage it did between the services. If it’s a petrol and mileage was around 10k personally I wouldn’t be that concerned about it.

Over the last 30 odd years of car ownership, I’ve generally taken a pragmatic view on car servicing and oil changing. I normally use the recommended mileage or two years as a guide and haven’t noticed any ill effects on the cars I’ve owned.

As an example I own a 13 year old Seat diesel and a 10 year Mazda petrol and did an oil change on both of cars last summer. I use the Seat for a motorway commute and the service indictor is showing 700 left, so I’ve ordered new oil and filters for it. The Mazda is a school run/shopping car and has only done a couple of thousand miles, I checked the oil last month and it looks the same as when I put in last year, so I’m leaving it for another year.

During the 10 years I’ve owned the Seat it has missed a couple of yearly services because I was doing around 4k a year. It’s still rattling along on the original engine and turbo so it couldn’t have done it that much harm.

If the missing yearly service does bother you then leave the car, there will be similar ones for sale that you can look at. If you like the car then you could use the missing service as a bargaining tool to try and get some more money off.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - gordonbennet

Did it miss just the time based (annual) service or did it miss one on mileage too, i think its about 10k for one of these, if it missed on time but the mileage didn't go too far over it wouldn't worry me too much, unless it's a Diesel.

I would however expect the car to be in good cond overall and a sensible bit cheaper than one with an impeccable history.

First thing i'd ask before travelling (or check close ups on the pics), does it have a set of decent quality tyres all round, preferably all four the same or at least god qual pairs...i've found that people who buy cheap rubbish ditchfinders seem to think other things unseen can be just as cheaply bought. Set of manky tyres and kerbed alloys ingrained with dirt and scabby discs showing through usually sees me beating a hasty retreat without further inspection.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/05/2016 at 21:20

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - John F

During the 10 years I’ve owned the Seat it has missed a couple of yearly services because I was doing around 4k a year. It’s still rattling along on the original engine and turbo so it couldn’t have done it that much harm.

Absolutely. It is high time the dogma of an oil change every 365 days irrespective of mileage is refuted by those who ought to know better.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - RT

Absolutely. It is high time the dogma of an oil change every 365 days irrespective of mileage is refuted by those who ought to know better.

Start with the yanks then - many of them still think 3,000 mile OCI is good preventative maintenance.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - pd

Number of owners is about normal - take out the pre-reg owner (Toyota) and it has had two owners over nearly 6 years. That isn't excessive and on the owner change it will have been cleaned, prepped and re-sold.

People are really out of touch with how long people keep cars these days - I reckon about 2 years is average with some car types 12-18 months.

Judge the car not the paperwork - as long as it hasn't done silly miles (40k or something) between services it is neither here nor there. If it has missed a time based one I'd ignore it.

If it looks nice, it probably is, if it looks and feels like a dog it probably is that too.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - bathtub tom

One of my last cars was a Nissan with a 2.7L sump capacity and a timing chain reputedly made from cheese. I changed the oil & filter every year despite it only doing around 5K miles.

I had another car that I used in off-road competition. It was road legal and often used locally. That would only do 2-3K miles a year, had a timing belt and got its oil & filter changed a couple of times in six years. I used to regularly take it to 7K RPM and the only thing I ever broke was the diff.

It all depends on variables.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Falkirk Bairn

>>6 year old Avensis that missed it 2nd year service

If you have doubts on a missed service it will haunt you whilst you own the car.

Why not look for another Avensis with a full service history - there are loads about unless you are buying a specific model / body /colour / gearbox etc etc

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - b80

Cheers chaps. Decided to play safe and give it a miss. Like Falkirk Bairn mentioned, knowing myself it would play on mind and cause a bit of anxiety after agreeing a deal.

PLenty more around, just slightly further afield. Going to keep a close an eye on auto-trader!!

Seem to get a fair bit of car for your money really with the Avensis. Took a local one (slightly out of price range) for a spin. Surprisingly felt more agile and better handling than my Golf TDI. Didn't feel like you were driving a bigger car at all.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - John F

Start with the yanks then - many of them still think 3,000 mile OCI is good preventative maintenance.

Good point, but then the USA is a society in which you create as much work as possible and is filled with people who believe whatever they are told.

www.quora.com/Why-are-oil-change-intervals-in-cars...e

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Falkirk Bairn

I have son in the USA (on secondment but it could last a lot longer). He has 2 BMWs (X5 & 430) and has the car serviced 2 x per year - roughly every 10K.

Some of his work colleagues are into "a lube service" every 5/6,000 miles as this was the schedule on cars 30/40 years ago - NOT a bad idea especially as the oil change seems to be loose change even in new & expensive cars.

Unlike the UK where an oil change can cost £200+ for a Porsche Cayenne BUT at the same workshop a lot less if it was a Tourag. Glass palaces are expensive so too is the oil & hourly rate.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Bolt

I have son in the USA (on secondment but it could last a lot longer). He has 2 BMWs (X5 & 430) and has the car serviced 2 x per year - roughly every 10K.

Some of his work colleagues are into "a lube service" every 5/6,000 miles as this was the schedule on cars 30/40 years ago - NOT a bad idea especially as the oil change seems to be loose change even in new & expensive cars.

Unlike the UK where an oil change can cost £200+ for a Porsche Cayenne BUT at the same workshop a lot less if it was a Tourag. Glass palaces are expensive so too is the oil & hourly rate.

I have mine and my daughters oil/filter changed every 6k or 6 months, whichever comes first, because years ago a car my daughter bought she missed a service after I kept reminding her it was due.

she went on holiday and engine siezed up while doing 30mph, which was a bit frightning as she thought she had hit something due to the noises it made, engine had gone 3k over the service interval and it was black oil like treacle

I have always had oil/filter changes at or around 6k or 6 months and never had any problems, daughter was the first to find out why I always go on to others about it, those that brag they never change or leave longer than recommended time are usually just plain lucky.

for some of us it isnt worth the risk

Yes twenty years ago mineral oil was like that. I used to change the oil twice a year and had to use Ford spec oil, otherwise I’d have problems with the hydraulic cam followers. Thankfully fully synthetic is cheap these days and even after two years in an engine still drips and runs all over the place during an oil change.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - RT

Yes twenty years ago mineral oil was like that. I used to change the oil twice a year and had to use Ford spec oil, otherwise I’d have problems with the hydraulic cam followers. Thankfully fully synthetic is cheap these days and even after two years in an engine still drips and runs all over the place during an oil change.

That's also because modern tighter manufacturing tolerances require thinner oil, 5W-30 being common now while 20W-40 was normal a couple of decades ago. The difference in cold viscosity is very noticeable.

I'm pleased you think modern fully synthetic is cheap - many of us think it's an expensive necessity.

That's also because modern tighter manufacturing tolerances require thinner oil, 5W-30 being common now while 20W-40 was normal a couple of decades ago. The difference in cold viscosity is very noticeable.

I'm pleased you think modern fully synthetic is cheap - many of us think it's an expensive necessity.

I wish it was this cheap when I ran a Nissan 200sx, was using semi-synthetic with very frequent oil changes.

Toyota Avensis - Would buy a car that has missed 1 service - Bolt

this wasnt 20 years ago it was 7, car was a 54 plate Kalos 1.2 and hardly used low mileage