Mini one - Hoping someone can help, MOT failure question. - Monty317
Newbie here and I know I need to start learning about cars! Had a mini one for a year, first car. It failed on the CO emissions only, other ones Lambda etc all fine. Have only had a basic service and so air filter not changed, neither spark plugs. Garage are now telling me it will cost £300+ for a new catalytic converter. From reading around it seems they might be trying to rip me off. I have had no warning signs and the car has been running fine. We do use it for short journeys only, which I know could be an issue. Just wanting some advice from more knowledgable people on here. Not sure if I should pay for upgrade of service to include spark plugs etc. Or should I take it elsewhere?
Mini one - Hoping someone can help, MOT failure question. - elekie&a/c doctor

Can you post the actual figures from the emission fail sheet?

Mini one - Hoping someone can help, MOT failure question. - Monty317
The garage took this back off us as they said they needed it. Both CO emissions failed, HO and Lambda are fine.
Mini one - Hoping someone can help, MOT failure question. - bathtub tom

I smell something's not right here. You paid for the MOT, you're entitled to the print out. Why would they want to hide those figures from you? The garage didn't have the word 'quick' in their name perhaps?

When were the plugs and air filter last renewed? It may be worthwhile replacing them and also giving it an 'Italian tune-up'.

Mini one - Hoping someone can help, MOT failure question. - Peter D

www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-20.htm

Regards Peter